IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Jucifer

I seriously always thought Jenna Elfman was Danny Elfman's daughter. 

Also, I didn't realize Edgar Winter is a Scientologist as well. 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I seriously always thought Jenna Elfman was Danny Elfman's daughter. 

Also, I didn't realize Edgar Winter is a Scientologist as well. 

Nope, Jenna is married to Bodhi Elfman who is Danny's nephew.  Danny is Jewish.  I actually just read something on Tony Ortega's site about Spanky Taylor (she was in Going Clear) where she said that Danny was not a Scientologist.  I'm glad to have that confirmation and not just be going by the fact that he is not listed as a Scieno on the Wikipedia list.

@Howl, we discussed Marty Rathbun a bit up thread.  I've never trusted him and I'm glad Tony Ortega has done an update.

Marty has flip-flopped a lot.  When he first blew he had a squirrel group and I don't think he has ever really been able to understand that $cientology teaching is bull shit.  And Miscavige has long arms, no problem with blackmail and threats, and lots of money still.

I'm putting money on Marty being back in the Co$ fold along with Tommy Davis.

Sad.  

This is wonderful news, @KZK.  For one thing, it indicates that all of the disclaimers worked and Co$ has not been able to bring a lawsuit to shut the whole thing down.  You go, Leah!  Now if we can just find out what happened to Shelly. 

They really are avoiding the topic of Tom Cruise. Apparently, when Tom was learning to audit (which every $ci is supposed to do, though many don't) Mark Headley was the kid chosen for him to audit. They made no mention of that on the show (or the fact that he was ordered to get 8 hours sleep every night and given special meals and vitamins so that nothing would go wrong with Tom's training). This is not meant as criticism of the show. I'm actually glad they're avoiding the subject. I just didn't quite realize how much they're avoiding it.

3 hours ago, DaisyD said:

They really are avoiding the topic of Tom Cruise. Apparently, when Tom was learning to audit (which every $ci is supposed to do, though many don't) Mark Headley was the kid chosen for him to audit. They made no mention of that on the show (or the fact that he was ordered to get 8 hours sleep every night and given special meals and vitamins so that nothing would go wrong with Tom's training). This is not meant as criticism of the show. I'm actually glad they're avoiding the subject. I just didn't quite realize how much they're avoiding it.

I think it's good that they're avoiding interviewing celebrities - Scientology uses their celeb members to sell their religion to 'wogs' or non-members and give them the best of everything. Their personal experiences will be much different from someone in the Sea Org, or just someone who is just a regular Scientologist. Even Leah's experience is a bit different.

But the subject of celebrities in the church would be something to discuss in an episode. It's not something that can be glossed over - Hubbard openly pursued this to make his 'church' credible and profitable. I think it would be quite eye-opening.

14 hours ago, DaisyD said:

They really are avoiding the topic of Tom Cruise.

Yes, I think it is very deliberate.  Leah said that the goal of the first series was to focus on the lesser known victims.  I thought that was a very good idea as the info about Cruise has already been covered elsewhere.  She goes into some detail about her interactions with Cruise in her own book, pretty much describing him as an out of control spoiled toddler with anger issues.

Some of the other books about Co$ go into details about the Cruise and Miscavige unholy brotherhood and the whole focus on using celebrities.  I've read so many now that they blur together in my mind.  It was LRH's idea in the first place to use them as propaganda machines.

On the series Leah seems to be trying to be careful about what she says about people she knows who are still in the cult.  Probably because attacking them would not help to get them to leave. 

I'm very glad they are doing a second series.  It all needs to be exposed.

WOW - I had not checked in on this thread since January! My bad. Good to see Leah is keeping up the good work, and that a new season is forthcoming. 

I did not know that Marty and Tommyboy were back in the fold. Ass kissers, spineless jerks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 3:53 AM, KZK said:

This is great news.  Other than her terrifying manicure* I have really appreciated her show and the light she's shedding on the Co$ and its victims. It's a horribly abusive scam.  I sincerely hope that, between "Going Clear" and her efforts, there will be enough public pressure to force the IRS to take another look at $ci's tax status.

*I learned at my salon that she has what's called the "stiletto shape." I don't understand how she hasn't poked her own eyes out with those claws. I wouldn't last a day before rendering myself blind or otherwise drained of blood.

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived