IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Jucifer

I haven't been to this thread in a good while & just happened to think of it.  
I'm going to attend a city council meeting on 3/16 because they're voting on whether the church can buy yet another parcel downtown.  Miscavige will be here schmoozing local officials next week, which is what made me think of this thread. :)  
But I digress....
I saw a few posts about "bodies".  And there are quite a few.  Back 10, even 20 years ago there was a site called:  whyaretheydead.net  It listed all the suspicious scientology deaths & gave a backstory.  But the site doesn't seem to be around anymore.
I'm not terribly computer savvy, but I know I've seen folks here on FJ dig up old websites, so if someone wants to give it a go...

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't been to this thread in a good while & just happened to think of it.  
I'm going to attend a city council meeting on 3/16 because they're voting on whether the church can buy yet another parcel downtown.  Miscavige will be here schmoozing local officials next week, which is what made me think of this thread. [emoji4]  
But I digress....
I saw a few posts about "bodies".  And there are quite a few.  Back 10, even 20 years ago there was a site called:  whyaretheydead.net  It listed all the suspicious scientology deaths & gave a backstory.  But the site doesn't seem to be around anymore.
I'm not terribly computer savvy, but I know I've seen folks here on FJ dig up old websites, so if someone wants to give it a go...

I just wouldn't put it past Miscavage to eventually get to something like that to quiet his detractors; from the information that has come out he is not someone to be messed with.

As for the LAPD, we have seen how they have been dealing with the disappearance of Shelly Miscavage - it's just horrific. To say they need to step up their game is an understatement - I don't know what the hell is going on in both cases but something more needs to be done!

Shelly's mother Flo Barnett's death in the 80's was suspicious as I recall.

1 minute ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Shelly's mother Flo Barnett's death in the 80's was suspicious as I recall.

She allegedly shot herself three times in the chest and once in the head. Using a rifle.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/the-strange-death-of-flo-barnett-mother-in-law-to-scientology-leader-david-miscavige-6667918

Why Are They Dead is, well, dead, but archived here:

http://www.xenu-directory.net/mirrors/www.whyaretheydead.net/

16 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

I don't know what the hell is going on in both cases but something more needs to be done!

I think Scientology has paid off TPTB in the LAPD.  It is corrupted, IMO.

Ideally the Shelly investigation should be taken out of the hands of the LAPD but I have no idea about the mechanics of how and when the FBI does get involved.  Another RICO investigation possibly.

The whole thing is sick.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:30 PM, seattlechic said:

Yo, dude, scientology isn't the reason you can sense the saline content of your cells.  That's LSD.  Dude!

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, Gobsmacked said:

Donald Trump has the same skill set sadly.

Yes!  He can fix everything!  He can make world peace happen, make healthcare affordable, give every American a job, blah blah blah.  He can do it all, and now he's in a position to do it all!

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

I didn't realize Danny Masterston was $OC. Makes me sad, I liked him. I find myself not liking any $OC actors even if I did prior (Jenna Elfman in Dharma and Greg, for example). 

I am glad these girls found strength to come forward because of Leah's show. I hope they are successful in getting justice.

As always, I hope $OC members see the light and break the bondage of this horrible cult.

One thing I just realized is that you never hear about mixed-faith relationships or marriages.  The non-Scientology person always converts.  Laura Prepon (when she dated Christopher Masterson), Bijiou Phillips (married Danny Masterson), Jenna Elfman (Bohdi Elfman), Tom Cruise (1st wife Mimi Rogers)... which makes me wonder about Bridget Fonda.  She married Danny Elfman, creator of The Simpsons' and Desperate Housewives' theme songs and uncle of Bohdi.  I understand that not everyone is Meryl Streep.  Sometimes actors want a quieter life, or they're not getting roles.  They might do Dancing with the Stars, or get a cooking or home improvement cable show.  But nothing from her.  She had such a great career in the '90s.  According to IMDB, her last role was in 2002 and she got married in 2003.  What happened??

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Ideally the Shelly investigation should be taken out of the hands of the LAPD but I have no idea about the mechanics of how and when the FBI does get involved.  Another RICO investigation possibly.

The whole thing is sick.

Perhaps Co$ has done an operation Snow White and deliberately infiltrated LAPD.   

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The whole thing is sick.

This may sound not related. I watched the ESPN documentary about OJ Simpson and they go into more detail about how corrupt the LA Police Dept is. I was astonished! 

The Clearwater PD has long been rumored to be corrupt.  I do know they tend to favor the church and let them get by with things others would be fined over (at the very least).  I see laws being broken every day (20 or so people standing on moving buses (their buses), occupancy regulations, etc.  Scientology hires off-duty officers for their events and anytime there are protests.  Therein lies at least one problem IMO.  

On 3/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, JMarie said:

One thing I just realized is that you never hear about mixed-faith relationships or marriages.  The non-Scientology person always converts.  Laura Prepon (when she dated Christopher Masterson), Bijiou Phillips (married Danny Masterson), Jenna Elfman (Bohdi Elfman), Tom Cruise (1st wife Mimi Rogers)... which makes me wonder about Bridget Fonda.  She married Danny Elfman, creator of The Simpsons' and Desperate Housewives' theme songs and uncle of Bohdi.  I understand that not everyone is Meryl Streep.  Sometimes actors want a quieter life, or they're not getting roles.  They might do Dancing with the Stars, or get a cooking or home improvement cable show.  But nothing from her.  She had such a great career in the '90s.  According to IMDB, her last role was in 2002 and she got married in 2003.  What happened??

I was looking up stuff about Bridget and Danny Elfman on Wikipedia  after you posted.  Danny is not listed as a Scientologist although Bodhi, Jenna and his brother Richard all are.  Danny is listed as a Jewish rock musician.  Danny may have left the Co$ if he was ever in it.  Bridget was seriously injured in a car accident shortly before she married Danny and then had a baby.  Maybe she decided to forego her career while she was raising their son.  

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

I was looking up stuff about Bridget and Danny Elfman on Wikipedia  after you posted.  Danny is not listed as a Scientologist although Bodhi, Jenna and his brother Richard all are.  Danny is listed as a Jewish rock musician.  Danny may have left the Co$ if he was ever in it.  Bridget was seriously injured in a car accident shortly before she married Danny and then had a baby.  Maybe she decided to forego her career while she was raising their son.  

I have a reallllllly hard time seeing Elfman in Scamitology.

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  I lived in Tampa for several years, and would see clumps of twentysomethings walking around downtown Clearwater.  They were wearing matching short-sleeved shirts (mint green, IIRC), and they were always walking walking walking but not going anywhere.  And one of my coworkers told me that it was a big deal whenever a Scientologist needed to go to an emergency room, because a bunch of Scientologists would go with the sick person to make sure no psych stuff got secretly snuck in.  And sometimes there'd be an ad in the local newspaper for an open house ("come see what we're all about!").  And that's when I became mildly obsessed with Scientology.

I thought Bridget might be (in)voluntarily hiding.  Like Shelly Miscavige.

So I pull up in our driveway tonight, in the rain... and look what is tucked into our mailbox again. O_o

IMG_0591.JPG

Has anyone seen "The Path" on Amazon? It's about a cult (a thinly veiled CO$) but I saw shades of Gothardism in it too. Really interesting and worth a watch.

Wow Retro, they're really trying to suck you in aren't they. :pb_lol: I think my response to any Co$ attempt to engage me would be along the lines of "Boy are you barking up the wrong tree." 

I'm currently reading "Inside Scientology". It's a pretty thorough history. I'm up to Lisa McPherson. There's a lot more about her than just the last couple of weeks of her life, along with the context of what was going on in $ci at the time.

7 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Has anyone seen "The Path" on Amazon? It's about a cult (a thinly veiled CO$) but I saw shades of Gothardism in it too. Really interesting and worth a watch.

I love The Path. It's a good, twisty story so far. I also love Imposters, which is not cult related, but I hope lots of people watch it so it doesn't get canceled. So, please watch that one, too! :)

5 hours ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I love The Path. It's a good, twisty story so far. I also love Imposters, which is not cult related, but I hope lots of people watch it so it doesn't get canceled. So, please watch that one, too! :)

I've seen the ads for Imposters on Bravo and it looks good!  Maybe I can catch up now that 31 Days of Oscar is over and I can tune the TV to non-TCM programming.  

14 hours ago, DaisyD said:

Wow Retro, they're really trying to suck you in aren't they. :pb_lol: I think my response to any Co$ attempt to engage me would be along the lines of "Boy are you barking up the wrong tree." 

IKR?! I was raised up in a cult, escaped... and these wack-a-doodles wanna give me a new one!

Nope! Nope! Noooooo... lol

13 hours ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I will! Need a good new show to binge watch! 

On 9 March 2017 at 1:58 AM, DaisyD said:

I'm currently reading "Inside Scientology". It's a pretty thorough history. I'm up to Lisa McPherson. There's a lot more about her than just the last couple of weeks of her life, along with the context of what was going on in $ci at the time.

Who's the author for Inside Scientology? I have (way too many) books borrowed on my ebook library but anything about cults and Scientology I love to read about :)

It's Janet Reitman.

The section on Lisa McPherson is really interesting. Apparently, she had two breakdowns. After her first breakdown Miscavage took a personal interest in her case and declared her Clear himself (this was very shortly before the second breakdown). I had always wondered why a bunch of higher up $ci people had turned up at the hospital.

There's too much info in the section to post it all here, but she puts things together that I hadn't heard before. 

What the heck is up with Marty Rathbun, who has done a 180 and is now, apparently, supporting David Miscavige?  Marty Rathbun's wife, Monique, had been in litigation for two years against Scientology.  She appeared to be very, very close to winning this law  suit in January of 2016, when she suddenly and inexplicably fired her entire legal team and subsequently dropped her lawsuit against Co$.  Both Marty and Monique claim there was no settlement with Scientology.  In Sept 2016, Marty began to renounce a movie he had made with Louis Theroux called "My Scientology Movie".

This guy seems unpredictable and crazy.

Tony Ortega covers it here: As Louis Theroux’s ‘My Scientology Movie’ hits U.S., troubling news of co-star Marty Rathbun

On 3/8/2017 at 6:49 AM, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

I have watched every episode, it's pretty good. I don't see any gothardism though.

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived