IGNORED

Election Results 2016, Part 3

Destiny

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@VelociRapture Thanks for the effort, I just need to unplug for a loooonnng time. I'm getting hit from all sides right now so it's just a lot to process. I've already blocked twitter and facebook on my phone and I'm telling everyone to contact me using alternate means. 

I'll be ok. I have to be ok.

9 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

@VelociRapture Thanks for the effort, I just need to unplug for a loooonnng time. I'm getting hit from all sides right now so it's just a lot to process. I've already blocked twitter and facebook on my phone and I'm telling everyone to contact me using alternate means. 

I'll be ok. I have to be ok.

You will be okay. We will all be okay together. Because there are a lot of us out there - who are grieving and planning and loving and helping others together. We just have to stick together and not give up. 

10 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Now that you mention it, I think it is she who must not be mentioned. She needs to get a hobby that doesn't involve us, maybe take up painting like George W. Bush.

Yes, she does. She needs to watch some Bob Ross.

Frankly, she is a deplorable just roaming from place to place talking to herself about the evils of FJ and hoping someone will listen. She keeps saying she hates the place, but she keeps coming back like a bad rash. 

Just now, MarblesMom said:

@Mecca I am always up for some Bob Ross and little fluffy clouds...

Me too! Happy little trees. It always makes me smile. 

I admit I have a rather odd sense of humor, but when I have been feeling blah over the last few days, I have been watching that David S. Pumpkins skit off of SNL. It makes me cry laughing every time. 

Love the pumpkin jacket... but my fave moment was "Ay, Papi!"   Thanks for sharing!

2 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Love the pumpkin jacket... but my fave moment was "Ay, Papi!"   Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome. That part is funny, and the dancing is hilarious. The look on Tom Hanks' face makes me laugh so hard. "Any question?" LOL! 

David S Pumpkin is such a hit in my house, my mom was in actual tears :)

But I also feel for so many of you right now. Like my sister is amazingly book smart but is extremely gullible and she knows it and for some reason today she was telling me about something I own had some ties to something (but has been proven false, and I tell her to ALWAYS do her research if she's on social media and pictures with nonexistence facts sound crazy). It REALLY made me mad than normal and I was just so angry for a few hours. It has made me realize now that we are about to hit 1 week since election day... I decided to finally get back into my grad school applications (I have till end of December as my own due date) but try to dedicate maybe like an hour or two  at least for the week to all things political right now. I think my brain will thank me eventually.

I took a break from the politics threads for a bit to try and get my head around this whole debacle, so forgive me if this has already been asked (I did do a search first, to no avail) but I am a bit perplexed about all the protests in the streets in US cities right now.  I get the need to find solace with others who feel the same shock,outrage, and dismay about the election results,  but what is the purpose of the continued protests?

Is it just to show Drumpf that lots of people DON'T like him? Is it in the hope that something will change as a result of the protests?  Do they have demands? What?  I don't get it. 

I don't like the results, but it was the result of a democratic election done under conditions agreed upon by both parties and set down in the constitution. Wait, is that it?  Do they want to change the constitution?   Do they realize it still wouldn't change the results of THIS election.  

What am I missing here? 

I

2 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

I took a break from the politics threads for a bit to try and get my head around this whole debacle, so forgive me if this has already been asked (I did do a search first, to no avail) but I am a bit perplexed about all the protests in the streets in US cities right now.  I get the need to find solace with others who feel the same shock,outrage, and dismay about the election results,  but what is the purpose of the continued protests?

Is it just to show Drumpf that lots of people DON'T like him? Is it in the hope that something will change as a result of the protests?  Do they have demands? What?  I don't get it. 

I don't like the results, but it was the result of a democratic election done under conditions agreed upon by both parties and set down in the constitution. Wait, is that it?  Do they want to change the constitution?   Do they realize it still wouldn't change the results of THIS election.  

What am I missing here? 

I

You are missing that people are fucking pissed that a sociopath was given the election by the EC when the people wanted otherwise. For the second time (Al Gore won the popular vote in 2000) in recent history. Two republicans. Hmmmm, something really stinks here.

Trump is receiving the vitriol that he gave. I feel about him the same way his supporters felt about Obama, except my revulsion is not based on race. If I was younger I would be out there too. Protesters are giving a vote of no confidence to this whole mess. Besides, taking it to the streets is a time honored  American tradition. Do you kind of get it now?

Besides, Drumpf himself said the system was rigged.

Also, that he promised lots of change.  At every event, he promised change.  And now, less than a week after he was elected, he's changing direction on a lot of the stuff he promised.  Republicans are starting to get mad because they're not going to get the changes promised them, though I doubt they're joining the protesters already called to action.

3 hours ago, Mecca said:

Yes, she does. She needs to watch some Bob Ross.

Frankly, she is a deplorable just roaming from place to place talking to herself about the evils of FJ and hoping someone will listen. She keeps saying she hates the place, but she keeps coming back like a bad rash. 

I'm have no idea who you are speaking of, but that was definitely some wild stuff on Saturday night! :pb_eek:

Kellyanne Conway went on Fox News to threaten Harry Reid for speaking out against Trump.

We are not supposed to criticize Trump or bring up things from his past. He's now a decent and honorable man. Clean slate and all that jazz.

13 hours ago, Nomorethanfour said:

Yes. This, all of this. Trump should have immediately denounced the violence and bullying. Although the same needs to absolutely be said about Obama and Clinton. They both need to come out and denounce the violence and destruction of property. For Christs sake, they set a police officer on fire. What the actual hell. 

Why the hell should Clinton do or say anything?  She's just a regular citizen now.  She doesn't owe anyone anything.  Trump was elected to be the leader.  It's HIS job to lead, not Clinton's.  And I've seen precious little leadership thus far.

FTR, just to be accurate: There have now been 5 elections in which the winner of the popular vote did not win the electoral college (not a new thing):

1824: John Quincy Adams vs. Andrew Jackson

1876: Rutherford B. Hayes vs. Samuel Tilden

1888: Benjamin Harrison vs. Grover Cleveland

2000: Bush vs. Gore

Changing the subject: I have NEVER hoped so much that a politician actually fails to follow through on his promises. I have a very big fear that Trump WILL follow through on a lot. As things stand now, however, it is impossible from one hour to the next to figure out exactly what his stance is due to his complete inconsistency.

6 minutes ago, apple1 said:

FTR, just to be accurate: There have now been 5 elections in which the winner of the popular vote did not win the electoral college (not a new thing):

1824: John Quincy Adams vs. Andrew Jackson

1876: Rutherford B. Hayes vs. Samuel Tilden

1888: Benjamin Harrison vs. Grover Cleveland

2000: Bush vs. Gore

Changing the subject: I have NEVER hoped so much that a politician actually fails to follow through on his promises. I have a very big fear that Trump WILL follow through on a lot. As things stand now, however, it is impossible from one hour to the next to figure out exactly what his stance is due to his complete inconsistency.

He's already completely trashed his promise to shake up the establishment by appointing career politicians and party big wigs to positions.  It's hard to "drain the swamp" when you fill your administration with its indigenous fauna.

When Isis, Taliban, Al-Qaida, the Russian parliament and the Ku Klux Klan rejoice about the choice of president something seems to be wrong.

11 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Kellyanne Conway went on Fox News to threaten Harry Reid for speaking out against Trump.

We are not supposed to criticize Trump or bring up things from his past. He's now a decent and honorable man. Clean slate and all that jazz.

Total, complete, 100% unadulterated bullshit. Decent? Honorable? What drug is she taking? I can't stand this twit.

FWIW, when I posted about the EC/popular vote disconnect, I referenced recent history only. I believe I said twice in the present millinieum.

11 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Bold 1: Isn't criticising and questioning our leaders a time honoured American tradition? I mean, the whole founding of this country is based on doing these things. LEARN YOUR HISTORY MADAM!

Bold 2: Citation required. Assumes facts not yet proven.

(Not directed at you Cartmann, it's directed at Kellyanne.)

20 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Bold 1: Isn't criticising and questioning our leaders a time honoured American tradition? I mean, the whole founding of this country is based on doing these things. LEARN YOUR HISTORY MADAM!

Bold 2: Citation required. Assumes facts not yet proven.

(Not directed at you Cartmann, it's directed at Kellyanne.)

This made me laugh so hard just now. Pretty sure everyone in Starbucks thinks I'm insane now. :pb_lol:

40 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Kellyanne doesn't know shit about US history, neither does Drumpf. Grrrr.....

There, fixed it for you.

This was an interesting article in The Washington Post.

A couple of good quotes:

Like the country as a whole, Washington today is characterized by radically different emotions as it contemplates the upcoming Trump presidency. Republicans are gleeful about all they’ll be able to do to roll back the progress of the past eight years, liberating the country from the cruel oppression of things such as expanded health insurance, regulations on Wall Street and reproductive rights. Liberals are horrified at the same prospect. And members of the media are looking desperately for signs that Donald Trump is not actually the person we all watched for the past year and a half. “I saw quite a change,” said CBS’s Lesley Stahl after interviewing him for “60 Minutes.” “He was much more subdued, much more serious.” It’s as though we’re talking about a child who managed to get through recess at the day care without punching any of the other children. Except this child is about to become the most powerful human being on Earth.

Isn't that pitiful?

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, [President] Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

The man ran for president for a year and a half, and is surprised that the presidency is such a big job. Meanwhile, his aides were under the impression that the Obama staffers would stick around and be working for them now.

This is appalling, but it shouldn’t be surprising. Those of us who actually contemplated a Trump presidency during the campaign were particularly disturbed not just by Trump’s ignorance, but also by the fact that it was accompanied by a certainty that he knew everything he needed to know, despite the fact that he knew virtually nothing. He would regularly claim that he was smarter and more knowledgeable than everyone who actually had experience in government and policy, despite never having served a day in government or spent a moment thinking about policy.

The level of ignorance is mind-numbing. They just thought the Obama staff would hang around. Um, yeah, that's not the way political appointments work.

Meanwhile, the president-elect is tweeting out insults at news organizations whose coverage of him is insufficiently adulatory. If you thought that having won the election despite losing the popular vote Trump might display an iota of class, you were mistaken. And the chaos is just beginning.

Twitter just needs to block him. Period.

Archived