IGNORED

For nervous Democrats, I'm here to talk you off the ledge!

RoseWilder

First thing I'm doing (before breakfast obviously ;)) is voting and then doing one last canvassing before it's all finally done! Also glad that I've read a lot about voting (it's my first presidential election voting in person!) and was going to wear my I'm with her button before I learned that is illegal lol.

Can't wait to see all the work helping out with her campaign these past few months be worth it in the end! :) #imwithher

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so anxious about tomorrow. I know my state will be voting Hillary, but the polls for the rest of the country are too close for comfort. 

Good morning and HAPPY VOTING DAY! I'm gonna fake happy today til I make it. I have a full itinerary today: I'm drinking my coffee, waiting for my son to finish up his oatmeal (accompanied by My Little Pony songs lol), take him to school. Then I get to work, today photographing a Christian School (oh yay.). Pray to whatever you believe in that they don't have me all stinkin day. It's school picture retakes.... Should take an hour, but I thought that yesterday and had to wait 3 extra hours to go eat Phô.....

Then a-voting I shall go. Then to Lincoln, NE (an hour away) to pick up my cousin and make sure she has voted. Then I get to kidnap her and steal her back to Omaha, where we will have a ladies pow-pow/cleaning/packing party for myself and my housemate (the wife of the very mentally ill on top of disabled vet.) It's a literal blessing to have support from friends. Fundies call everything a blessing but I don't think they know blessings from boogers.  I intend to have the news on all night and whiskey at hand for either sorrow or elation as well. On top of increasingly blurry selfies with my voted sticker and smeary red lipstick, probably slur out, "I'm a nassshty womin!" 

AND THE BEST IS MY MOM SAID SHE WILL WATCH THE KIDDO!!!! yaaaaaaay!

I read too much but don't write enough. This whole thing is full of "and then, and then, and then.... Then. Then. Then."  I apologize if my not incredibly horrible writing annoys any English Lang/Composition Nazis. Lol. 

@VelociRapture how exciting! I hope she comes on her due date! That's my boy's birthday and this time around he will be 6. What would be amusing is if she came on Jan 17 as that was originally my due date. Hehehe. 

6 minutes ago, VixenToast said:

@VelociRapture how exciting! I hope she comes on her due date! That's my boy's birthday and this time around he will be 6. What would be amusing is if she came on Jan 17 as that was originally my due date. Hehehe. 

Lol! My husband is an Accountant, so I'm hoping she comes a bit early. That way he can have a little time to focus solely on us before Tax Season consumes his soul. It would be cool to know she has a FJ birthday buddy though!

And Velocibaby has officially voted for Clinton/Kaine. No problems voting for us and there was only one (very nice) guy campaigning outside for a local Republican candidate. So I'm calling it a win.

6 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I am so anxious about tomorrow. I know my state will be voting Hillary, but the polls for the rest of the country are too close for comfort. 

The polls aren't actually that close. There are TONS of bad polls out this week, showing that things are close, but most of them are Republican-commissioned polls that over-sampled Republicans. The media is talking about those polls a lot to push the "it's a close race" narrative so people will keep watching/clicking. But things are looking great for our side. 

But, like the rest of you, I will be letting out a huge sigh of relief 12 hours from now, when some of the polls start closing and we see that she's winning!

I'm off to vote now. I'm wearing white. I've got a bottle of water and a book ready, in case I have to wait in line a long time. I'm off to go make history! 

LET'S DO THIS!!!

Just got back from voting. I had no issue. Everything went smooth. My husband was another story. When he went up to have his name checked off the list, there was a star by his name with a note that said and I quote, "Ask to see I.D. and examine it closely for authenticity." The poll worker said, "What does that even mean? I have never seen that before." Yep. Does not matter that he is a citizen of the United States and has been for years, has been registered to vote for years, votes in every election and has voted in this state previously. Apparently, the election commission in our area still does not trust him because he is an immigrant. :pb_rollseyes: 

7 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

The media is talking about those polls a lot to push the "it's a close race" narrative so people will keep watching/clicking. But things are looking great for our side. 

That's fine.  If the narrative is "It's a horse race" then that gets more people out to vote.

2 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Just got back from voting. I had no issue. Everything went smooth. My husband was another story. When he went up to have his name checked off the list, there was a star by his name with a note that said and I quote, "Ask to see I.D. and examine it closely for authenticity." The poll worker said, "What does that even mean? I have never seen that before." Yep. Does not matter that he is a citizen of the United States and has been for years, has been registered to vote for years, votes in every election and has voted in this state previously. Apparently, the election commission in our area still does not trust him because he is an immigrant. :pb_rollseyes: 

Is that even legal?  There's either "voter ID laws" or there aren't...what state are you in?

7 minutes ago, PraiseDog said:

That's fine.  If the narrative is "It's a horse race" then that gets more people out to vote.

Is that even legal?  There's either "voter ID laws" or there aren't...what state are you in?

This. @Mecca, I would report that. The local Dems should have a number as does the Clinton campaign

1 minute ago, louisa05 said:

This. @Mecca, I would report that. The local Dems should have a number as does the Clinton campaign

Or the Secretary of State in your state.  They are supposed to keep elections fair and equal. 

16 minutes ago, Mecca said:

You should totally share this in the "This is what Voter Suppression Looks Like" thread.

I will talk to my husband and encourage him to turn that in. I was voting when I noticed the hold up and drama at the table. I waited for him to finish up and that is when he told me what went on. We have lived in four different counties in this state and he has never had a note attached to his name on the check-in paper. Everyone has to show their I.D., so why have the note attached to him? Even the poll worker said she has never seen that before. 

40 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I will talk to my husband and encourage him to turn that in. I was voting when I noticed the hold up and drama at the table. I waited for him to finish up and that is when he told me what went on. We have lived in four different counties in this state and he has never had a note attached to his name on the check-in paper. Everyone has to show their I.D., so why have the note attached to him? Even the poll worker said she has never seen that before. 

In the thread about worrying about violence on election day, I posted a Washington Post article that had numbers to call if there are issues. It wouldn't hurt to call them and report the situation.

Oh, and the Washington Post removed their paywall for today, so everyone can have free access for election day!

They had an article about how to get through election day. Some of the suggestions were fun.

1. Watch red pandas at play

The San Francisco Zoo will live stream on its Facebook page three red pandas, Tenzing, Hillary, and Hunter (yes, one is named Hillary), and for one hour starting at 1 p.m. Eastern time you can be distracted by their adorableness.  (h/t SFGate)

3. Eat all the doughnuts (or whatever free food is offered on this day in your area)

Many area businesses offer Election Day specials that may include free food or drinks. For instance, at Krispy Kreme, showing your “I Voted” sticker gets you a free doughnut. At California Tortilla, simply saying, “Make queso great again,” “I’m with queso,” or “I vote for queso,” gets a patron free chips and queso.

Eating all the donuts sounds like a plan!

57 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I really hope he decides to report it. If it happened to him it could happen to someone else - and who knows if that person would be able to work it out so they can vote too.

It doesn't sound like the volunteer did anything wrong because she was confused too. It could be something the Registrar did for some reason. 

Good news from Florida: 

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/11/8/1593208/-State-of-the-Race-Florida-Final-Election-Day-Steve-Schale-Memo-My-Own-Observations

The last Steve Schale memo is now up: steveschale.com/….  This one is devoted to taking a big picture look at the EV and giving a prediction. He has HRC winning by 1.5% to 2.5%. More importantly, he has DT’s chances of winning at very low, because we have a more diverse electorate, HRC has a clear edge among NPA voters, and we have as many 2012 voters as they do to bring to the polls today. He suspects that we are ahead in the EV by 3 to 4 points, which means that Trump would have to win the e-day vote by 6-8 points (out of the 3.2 million voters left) and it isn’t there for him, given the sheer number of favorable voters we will bring to the polls in our big counties.

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I really hope he decides to report it. If it happened to him it could happen to someone else - and who knows if that person would be able to work it out so they can vote too.

It doesn't sound like the volunteer did anything wrong because she was confused too. It could be something the Registrar did for some reason. 

I called him a few minutes ago and texted him the information. He said he would call when he takes his lunch today. He thinks it needs to come to someone's attention. Why should he be treated differently? He was a tad bit embarrassed and rather annoyed. The place was busy and he was taken out of line and people were staring at him like he had done something wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I called him a few minutes ago and texted him the information. He said he would call when he takes his lunch today. He thinks it needs to come to someone's attention. Why should he be treated differently? He was a tad bit embarrassed and rather annoyed. The place was busy and he was taken out of line and people were staring at him like he had done something wrong. 

He has nothing to be embarrassed about because he did nothing wrong. The only people who should be are the ones responsible for putting that sticker and note by his name.

And good for him! Not just for remaining so polite and civil in the moment, but for choosing to stand up for himself and his rights. :clap:

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

He has nothing to be embarrassed about because he did nothing wrong. The only people who should be are the ones responsible for putting that sticker and note by his name.

And good for him! Not just for remaining so polite and civil in the moment, but for choosing to stand up for himself and his rights. :clap:

Thank you. Thank goodness he always remains calm.... unlike his wife sometimes. :my_confused: 

When he got in the car he said to me, "Nobody was going to keep me from voting today. We have all got to rally and keep that Asshat Trump out of the Oval Office." LOL! 

I'm still afraid. DH and I voted this morning in our very, very red little farm town. I'm rocking my white and my OPI "Madam President" nail polish but I'm way too keyed up to calm down. 

First off, I know very little about politics, even when it concerns my own country, even less about American politics.

And I know it is bad to admit this, I also have little interest in politics, although I do vote when the time comes.

Never has there been an election, especially in regards government, where I have been so interested and fascinated by the goings on and  potential result.

Of course, not all of this interest is based on a good thing, mostly dismay, confusion, and pure horror.

There has been this nervousness and anxiety brimming in me for quite a while, and building all the time, especially when he (can't say or write his name) makes one of his usual disgusting speeches.

He is like this sinister presence invading my life, even though he is in a far off land. Part of me wonders why I am taking the words of a misogynistic racist bully so personally.

I feel so deeply offended and hurt on a personal level, and on behalf of women everywhere. I abhor this creature, and everything he stands for. I am filled with so much dread and apprehension over something I have no say in or no control over.

It is incomprehensible to me, that such a horror of a man can even run for office, and then worse how even knowing so many negative and unsavoury aspects of his personality, attitudes and policies so so many people still don't see it as problematic. It is almost as if this election is simply a fun game to chant and cheer over, and not foresee the consequences. So many willing to defend him and his absurd offensive comments, and ready to vilify someone else over a sick day or a big hoopla over emails. But 'Locker room talk' is ok? No, locker room talk is will never be ok.

Just the thoughts of him winning this election and becoming president, leaves me with this sense of utter helplessness. Election day feels like an impeding doomsday.

Sorry for long rant! Opps! Ended up letting off steam that been brewing far too long.

Ok, what I came in here to say was 'Thank You' for this thread and all it contains. It calms me when I read through and gives me back some hope. 

Good luck America! 

Good news for Clinton in the final poll numbers:  http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/11/8/1593265/-Final-polling-update-and-what-a-good-one-it-is-for-Hillary-Clinton

The Orange Hate Zamboni got booed and heckled when he and his mail-order bride went to their polling place to vote.  Ha!

I woke up today with most of the anxiety gone, probably because we're finally at election day and the campaign is over, all that's left is voting -  now I'm mostly just super pumped for seeing history tonight.  

My stomach hurts. As it always does when I am worried.

The clock needs to go faster today.

I am also subbing in Trump-land which is not helping. One 8th grader proudly told me his parents told his 18 yr old sister they will not pay for college unless she votes for Trump. I wanted to scream. Instead I calmly explained secret ballots and told the whole class that no one can ever tell them how to vote

10 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My stomach hurts. As it always does when I am worried.

The clock needs to go faster today.

I am also subbing in Trump-land which is not helping. One 8th grader proudly told me his parents told his 18 yr old sister they will not pay for college unless she votes for Trump. I wanted to scream. Instead I calmly explained secret ballots and told the whole class that no one can ever tell them how to vote

That is disgusting.  Then again, if one of my kids were of voting age and wanted to vote for Trump........

Archived