IGNORED

The Third Debate: Was the Coin Toss Rigged Too? *eyeroll*

Destiny

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

My concerns about what might happen after the election became much less abstract last night.  What is he igniting and what will it take to stop it?  Will he demand that Hillary step down for him?  Will he want a position in the administration; e.g., Secretary of Hate?  Is what's going on now the beginning of a negotiation in his mind?

I sincerely hope that someone on his team/in his family has the wisdom to smash his phone on November 8.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JMarie said:

So he's going to throw a tantrum if he loses?  Great.  Just what we need.

Seems to me more like tantrum in progress, and being spread like a virus.

9 hours ago, AuntK said:

I want a "Nasty Woman" t shirt! I'll wear it to the polls!

@AuntK I really like the idea of the shirt but you should check your local laws on electioneering in your state. I'm a poll worker in Michigan and you can't wear (or say) anything in support of a candidate or party within 100 feet of an entrance to a polling location. We would have to tell you to turn the shirt inside out or cover it up.

4 minutes ago, Bethella said:

@AuntK I really like the idea of the shirt but you should check your local laws on electioneering in your state. I'm a poll worker in Michigan and you can't wear (or say) anything in support of a candidate or party within 100 feet of an entrance to a polling location. We would have to tell you to turn the shirt inside out or cover it up.

I get your point, but some of the shirts just say, "Nasty Woman."  I don't think that's electioneering under my state law - no name, no slogan. I do like the shirts that say, "Nasty Women Vote" and "Nasty Women Vote for Hillary!"  They already have coffee mugs, tote bags, shirts, etc, it's amazing! Some of these people must be thanking the Orange Monster as they head to the bank!

12 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I agree that such a shirt might be bordering on electioneering, and that another way to get the point across is to wear white, green, or purple to the polling place, as those were suffragette colors. I even saw a FB event page for wearing white on Election Day just last week.

4 minutes ago, AuntK said:

I get your point, but some of the shirts just say, "Nasty Woman."  I don't think that's electioneering under my state law - no name, no slogan. I do like the shirts that say, "Nasty Women Vote" and "Nasty Women Vote for Hillary!"  They already have coffee mugs, tote bags, shirts, etc, it's amazing! Some of these people must be thanking the Orange Monster as they head to the bank!

I just figured I would give you a heads up. MI law references "any material that directly or indirectly makes reference to an election, a candidate, or a ballot question" which after last night would apply to the "nasty woman" slogan. 

I live in Florida, and just looked it up. Actually, I can wear a candidate's  t shirt, campaign buttons, pretty much anything, as long as I am not actively campaigning! 

Ordering my shirt. . .

54 minutes ago, AuntK said:

I live in Florida, and just looked it up. Actually, I can wear a candidate's  t shirt, campaign buttons, pretty much anything, as long as I am not actively campaigning! 

Ordering my shirt. . .

Great! Oops that's a one word reply. Have fun on election day!

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Proud to say he helps represent my state - not the portion I live in, but I used to. Same with Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal. If I remember correctly, all our current Reps and both Senators are Democrats. Because Connecticut is phenomenal sometimes. :pb_lol:

I typically do not vote a straight party ticket and am actually an Independent, but when I looked at my absentee ballot, I realized I wouldn't be voting for anyone without a (D) next to their name. I am sure it's a first.

Sorry if someone posted this elsewhere, but such gold: http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/20/politics/al-smith-catholic-dinner-memorable-lines-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/index.html

I missed the whole thing... but the highlights in this article were fantastic.  

Glad they had a man of the cloth sitting in between them, or there might have been hair pulling and noogies between the two.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/watch-stephen-colbert-mock-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-debate-w445734

Stephen Colbert gave his take on the last Presidential debate during an extended live monologue on The Late Show on Wednesday. He rebuked Donald Trump for refusing to say whether he would accept the results of the upcoming election. "Democracy's gonna end with a cliffhanger," Colbert joked. "I guess we're all gonna have to wait until November 9th to find out if we still have a country – if Donald Trump is in the mood for a peaceful transfer of power, or if he's just gonna wipe his fat ass with the Constitution."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/20/us/politics/donald-trump-iraq.html?rref=collection%2Fnewseventcollection%2FPresidential Election 2016&action=click&contentCollection=Podcasts&module=Collection&region=Marginalia&src=me&version=newsevent&pgtype=article&_r=0

Hillary Clinton Told People to Google ‘Donald Trump Iraq.’ They Did.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/us/politics/donald-trump-mosul-iraq.html

WASHINGTON — In Wednesday night’s debate, Donald J. Trump excoriated the American-backed Iraqi military offensive to recapture Mosul from the Islamic State, saying it had forfeited “the element of surprise” and allowed militant leaders to slip away.

“Douglas MacArthur, George Patton spinning in their graves when they see the stupidity of our country,” Mr. Trump added, invoking two of the greatest American commanders from World War II.

“What this shows is Trump doesn’t know a damn thing about military strategy,” said Jeff McCausland, a retired Army colonel and former dean at the Army War College in Carlisle, Pa.

In the presidential debate Wednesday night, Donald J. Trump expounded on pregnancy and abortion, asserting that under current abortion law, “You can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb in the ninth month, on the final day.”

Doctors say the scenario Mr. Trump described does not occur.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/health/donald-trump-debate-late-abortion-remarks.html?_r=0

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/10/trump-clinton-final-debate-2016-is-it-over-214374

People will look back and point to various Trump transgressions and insults during the general election to explain his coming loss: the “Access Hollywood” hot mic, the tax returns, the Khans, the amateurish debate performances. But the truth is Trump lost this race the day he entered it, when he smeared Latino immigrants as rapists and criminals. He has never led in poll averages against Clinton, save for a brief convention bounce, because he never stopped being a candidate of white right-wing rage in a multicultural center-left nation.

I had "intro to Spanish" with 8th graders this morning. The teacher has no discipline, so her classes are always from hell. No exception this morning, but this moment was something new. A kid told me he wasn't going to do the assignment "cause my dad says we shouldn't have to learn Spanish and if Donald Trump deports them all, they won't be able to try and make us anymore". 

:my_angry:

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I had "intro to Spanish" with 8th graders this morning. The teacher has no discipline, so her classes are always from hell. No exception this morning, but this moment was something new. A kid told me he wasn't going to do the assignment "cause my dad says we shouldn't have to learn Spanish and if Donald Trump deports them all, they won't be able to try and make us anymore". 

:my_angry:

PLEASE, please, please tell me you are joking! And does that clutch of fools know just how common Spanish is around the world?

58 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

PLEASE, please, please tell me you are joking! And does that clutch of fools know just how common Spanish is around the world?

I pointed out to the kid that Spanish is a common language around the world. He spouted more of dad's wisdom about why we don't need to interact with the rest of the world. Isolationism, essentially, though I doubt the father can pronounce or define that. 

14 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I see Newt Gingrich is maintaining the party line by claiming everything is swell. Whoever said Republicans fall in line wasn't kidding. Either that, or maybe he's hoping that he can end up on top during the inevitable post-election GOP civil war.

21 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I see Newt Gingrich is maintaining the party line by claiming everything is swell. Whoever said Republicans fall in line wasn't kidding. Either that, or maybe he's hoping that he can end up on top during the inevitable post-election GOP civil war.

Like Cheeto, Newt only looks out for Newt. In my opinion, quite a bit of the current GOP extreme obstructionism is thanks to Newt. Remember his Contract ON America? or the US Government shutdowns in 1995? One of the assertions that was made during the shutdown was that Gingrich refused to negotiate with Bill Clinton and the Democrats because he felt that it wasn't fair that he had to leave an airplane through the back door on the way to Yitzhak Rabin's funeral. 

I can see why Newt and Cheeto associate with each other. Both are pompous, short-tempered, married three times, and cheated with the new wife before divorcing the old one.  I'm sure he would love to have a position of honor in a Cheeto presidency.

On 10/21/2016 at 10:55 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

The thing is that not all Republicans are falling in line.  Some are horrified.  This has been posted before - and even more have dropped away from Trump since then:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/where-republicans-stand-on-donald-trump-a-cheat-sheet/481449/

Yes, there is going to be a post-election civil war among the Republicans.  The party is imploding as we watch.  It's too soon to predict a winner.  If the moderates prevail - then the Tea Party lot will form a new party.  If not - then we'll see moderate Republicans flee to the Dems or become Independents.

15 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

The thing is that not all Republicans are falling in line.  Some are horrified.  This has been posted before - and even more have dropped away from Trump since then:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/where-republicans-stand-on-donald-trump-a-cheat-sheet/481449/

Yes, there is going to be a post-election civil war among the Republicans.  The party is imploding as we watch.  It's too soon to predict a winner.  If the moderates prevail - then the Tea Party lot will form a new party.  If not - then we'll see moderate Republicans flee to the Dems or become Independents.

I know that many Republicans are revolting against Trump, but Gingrich strikes me as a party man through and through. The question is whether that loyalty will be worth it if the GOP ceases to exist as we know it. It would be interesting to know what the age breakdown is with regard to who is and isn't sticking with Trump in the GOP.

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

This sounds like the perfect time to found a new party. The most progressive politicians could found a truly progressive party and the Democrats could take in the more centre than right among the Republicans and the new Republican/Tea party could be pushed into irrelevance. Maybe. It will all depend on the election results. If Clinton wins by a landslide the Republican party inner war will be very nasty and may prompt many members to migrate. And Sanders near success showed that maybe America is ready for more progressive ideas and measures that Clinton being a conservative won't enact.

6 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Wonder whether some of his "supporters" are simply giving lip service and will vote otherwise.

They should quit the lip service.  Yesterday. Dimwits! 

Kathleen Kennedy Townsend leaked that "no comment" G.H.W. Bush plans to vote for Clinton ...

10 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

This sounds like the perfect time to found a new party. <snip for space>

I agree that it would be great to see a viable progressive party in US politics.  

The fall out from this is going to be interesting.

2 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

This sounds like the perfect time to found a new party. The most progressive politicians could found a truly progressive party and the Democrats could take in the more centre than right among the Republicans and the new Republican/Tea party could be pushed into irrelevance. Maybe. It will all depend on the election results. If Clinton wins by a landslide the Republican party inner war will be very nasty and may prompt many members to migrate. And Sanders near success showed that maybe America is ready for more progressive ideas and measures that Clinton being a conservative won't enact.

The Democrats seem to be doing well in terms of party health and cohesiveness, especially with Trump as a common enemy, so I don't see the progressives having a need to bolt. If the Democrats do manage to take the presidency, the House, and the Senate, it would give them a progressive mandate.

The GOP on the other hand, are going to be in a mess, regardless of what actually happens on election day. Back in 2012, the election pist-mortem said that the Republicans are viewed as racist and out of touch in a nation that is becoming browner. So what do they do in 2016 but nominate the most racist candidate in recent memory, someone who makes Barry Goldwater seem reasonable and moderate. The coming civil war in the GOP and the nomination of Trump is the logical end of almost fifty years of the Southern Strategy and appealing to racist fears of conservative whites. This strategy worked as long as whites were a clear majority, but the US is becoming browner by the day and the GOP hasn't changed their tune. Even the South is more racially diverse than it used to be, which is why states like Georgia, Virginia, and North Carolina are suddenly in play. The GOP can keep playing to its white rural base, but this demographic is getting smaller and smaller, which probably explains the viciousness of Trump voters; they don't want the same cruelties inflicted on them that they inflicted on minorities for so long.

• OnceUponATime unpinned this topic

Archived