IGNORED

No Oreos for Christians Either

NurseNell

From Urbandictionary.com

"More publicly acceptable and FCC-friendly version of S.T.F.U., originally coined by Buckethead on WJRR Radio."

I also say "mothertrucker" in an effort to not throw so many F bombs in front of my nephews and my son

I can remember getting scolded for saying 'gosh' at the Christian school I attended. Any 'replacement' swears were bad and there were entire chapel and devotion sessions dedicated bad language.

I was an English major, and took my share of literary theory courses and learned all about semantics and such. I don't have kids yet, but I keep thinking that I am not going to make a big deal out of them swearing, because if they can't say shit or damn, then they'll start saying things like snap or darn, and really, the intent they're using is the same, so why is using one combination of letters better than any other combination? Simply because of social constraints, and the intended meaning that society has placed on these words but not others. If you mean shit, then just say shit. If you say, "Zounds!" nowadays, people laugh, but wasn't that word once considered as bad as fuck?

Of course, I will also have to let them know that it's OK for them to use the intended words at home, but because of semantics, people outside will not feel the same way, so don't become a potty mouth, please. I'm also hoping that if we don't make a big deal out of them swearing, then they won't have any real desire to swear.

Can you tell I have had no fundie influences in my life ever?

I'm surprised they focused on this one euphemism, when the entire commercial was full of them. That was sort of the point of the commercial, and I thought it was kind of clever and funny. But how do they know about this commercial anyway? Shouldn't they all be shunning tv as too worldly? I hope they never start watching Battlestar Galactica, because they would be horrified by the frequent use of "frack".

Ha, I remember this stupid stuff from being 10-12 years old. Mom didn't like us to use the word sucks, so we started saying something vacuums instead. She didn't like that either, but the only reason we used "vacuums" is because we already knew sucks.

From Urbandictionary.com

"More publicly acceptable and FCC-friendly version of S.T.F.U., originally coined by Buckethead on WJRR Radio."

I also say "mothertrucker" in an effort to not throw so many F bombs in front of my nephews and my son

I'll say "motherfather" if there are kids around and I really can't help myself.

We're all going to hell at my house. We just say the words. Except for my husband, at least not very often. He's a much better person than the rest of us. :D

We're all going to hell at my house. We just say the words. Except for my husband, at least not very often. He's a much better person than the rest of us. :D

Yeah, that sounds like my home, too. We all just use the curse words. Although, I'm involved with a program where I work with kids and when I'm around them I just say "Eff" under my breath. Which isn't that hard, because most of my cursing is under my breath. Unless I hurt myself pretty badly in which case I will practically scream an expletive.

Ha, I remember this stupid stuff from being 10-12 years old. Mom didn't like us to use the word sucks, so we started saying something vacuums instead. She didn't like that either, but the only reason we used "vacuums" is because we already knew sucks.

Ha! We must have the same Mom or something! Mine also hated the word "suck" as in "this sucks." As a result, we'd go out of our way to use "suck" where it was appropriate- spending entire dinners talking about vacuums, the pool filter and black holes and their ability to suck.

Yeah, that sounds like my home, too. We all just use the curse words. Although, I'm involved with a program where I work with kids and when I'm around them I just say "Eff" under my breath. Which isn't that hard, because most of my cursing is under my breath. Unless I hurt myself pretty badly in which case I will practically scream an expletive.

I think I am missing some brain circuitry in re: swearing. If I'm tipsy and angry, I might intersperse a few expletives into whatever I'm ranting about, but they don't slip out in shock or pain at all. Like earlier this year, I was straightening up after getting something from the back of the fridge but I didn't back up far enough first and hit the bridge of my nose right smack on the freezer door handle. The best I could do was a sort of inarticulate "MMMPPHHHHH." I'm sure swearing would have helped but it just isn't there for me somehow. I don't have a scream reflex, either... last year someone broke into my house while I was home and when we came face to face in the stairwell I just stared at him in shocked silence. He was startled too and ran away, thank God.

/OT. Sorry. :)

I like to think I am above using swear words in front of my kids.(And they do keep track of my husbands and everyone elses so they have yet to hear one from me.)I really try not to do it. I do say "frig!" and "oh my word" which makes me cringe as I say it because I was a real pottymouth before kids.

My 9 year old wants to be a rapper and he says I cannot come to his concerts because I will hear him "blow a beep" and scream "YOUR BANNED" . I say he will be a clever rapper and only the dummies use "beeps" for every other word.

I like to think I am above using swear words in front of my kids.(And they do keep track of my husbands and everyone elses so they have yet to hear one from me.)I really try not to do it. I do say "frig!" and "oh my word" which makes me cringe as I say it because I was a real pottymouth before kids.

My 9 year old wants to be a rapper and he says I cannot come to his concerts because I will hear him "blow a beep" and scream "YOUR BANNED" . I say he will be a clever rapper and only the dummies use "beeps" for every other word.

I did not use bad language when my children were young, and it took me awhile to become the expert swear-er I am now, having not been raised quite that way. But my sons are adults, and when they got to be a certain age, we stopped worrying about their occasional cuss word. It's not like every other word or anything. I try to usually just reserve it for serious aggravation or as punctuation for an important point, or for like when I fell going up the stairs today and seriously jammed my pinky finger. :D Not too big on the F-bomb, but again, occasional use is not a problem for us.

Hell, I don't even like Oreos, but just knowing that One Million Moms With Their Heads Up Their Asses are tut-tutting the commercial makes me want to run out to Costco and buy them in bulk.

Ha! We must have the same Mom or something! Mine also hated the word "suck" as in "this sucks." As a result, we'd go out of our way to use "suck" where it was appropriate- spending entire dinners talking about vacuums, the pool filter and black holes and their ability to suck.

Even now, in our 30's, we can make my dad cringe by saying to each other, "Shut up stupid! I hate you!" My mom laughs.

I think I am missing some brain circuitry in re: swearing. If I'm tipsy and angry, I might intersperse a few expletives into whatever I'm ranting about, but they don't slip out in shock or pain at all. Like earlier this year, I was straightening up after getting something from the back of the fridge but I didn't back up far enough first and hit the bridge of my nose right smack on the freezer door handle. The best I could do was a sort of inarticulate "MMMPPHHHHH." I'm sure swearing would have helped but it just isn't there for me somehow. I don't have a scream reflex, either... last year someone broke into my house while I was home and when we came face to face in the stairwell I just stared at him in shocked silence. He was startled too and ran away, thank God.

/OT. Sorry. :)

Coincidentally enough, my reaction to your story was "Holy shit."

Out of idle curiosity I checked out the Million Moms site. The authors on this site are very keen on contacting sponsors of shows they deem offensive.

My question is: Who is watching all these EVIL objectionable shows like GLEE and Desperate Housewives to make a list of sponsors of these shows. SOMEONE or several someones are logging a lot of time watching the worldly EVIL television in order to list the sponsors of said EVIL shows. Do they have some sort of fundie brain bleach to cleanse the evil they've just viewed from their minds....

I think I shall have another banned Oreo and call it a night. Forbidden items are so much MORE exciting than allowed items. Might buy a container of Schweddy Balls too. It's almost the weekend and it's always good to live a little. :twisted:

I'm surprised they focused on this one euphemism, when the entire commercial was full of them. That was sort of the point of the commercial, and I thought it was kind of clever and funny. But how do they know about this commercial anyway? Shouldn't they all be shunning tv as too worldly? I hope they never start watching Battlestar Galactica, because they would be horrified by the frequent use of "frack".

I agree fundies would totally freak out BSG's use of the word frack.

I think some of the members of OMM aren't necessarily the types of fundies who hate TV. OMM and groups like PTC probably have some fundie lite members who do watch some TV. On the testimonials section of OMM, it seems some of the members are basically types of people who just want TV shows and ad's to be completely family friendly all the time.

You've got to be kidding me...I don't cuss under normal circumstances (although I've been known to use the word "frak" at times)...what is wrong with using a funny little phrase instead of saying the cuss word if you're a kid? It's better than listening to the alternative coming from a kid...you know?

Archived