IGNORED

No Oreos for Christians Either

NurseNell

This is from the One Million Moms site also. I didn't know that Shut The Front Door was an euphemism for something else. I'm not sure I believe it. But anyway, no Ben and Jerrys, no oreos. I don't eat either but it has nothing to do with religion or language.

Oreos Should Throw Their New Ad Out the Front Door

Nabisco, owned by Kraft Foods Global, Inc., is promoting their Oreo cookie product in a manner that parents find shocking. The "family" company is running an ad for their new Oreo Fudge Cremes with the phrase "Shut the Front Door." In today's teen jargon, that phrase is a euphemism for "Shut the F*@k Up!"

The ad begins with a typical family eating Oreo cookies in their kitchen at home when the mom blurts this out. Moms find this offensive, and teenagers are admitting they know what "Shut the Front Door" stands for. OMM finds it hard to believe that Kraft is unaware what this statement means. Does Kraft desire for our children to have dirty mouths?

Kraft may have thought this was humorous, but it is not cute when children go around saying this.

Nell

Oh, it absolutely is a euphemism, popularized by the show Castle and probably others. But I don't find it offensive, because the humor comes from saying it in the same cadence as the "other" phrase - meaning, you should only get the joke if you've HEARD the other phrase.

Why worry about such trival things?

Isn't there much more important things that mothers should be worry about auch as; The education system, bullying, healthy food, child rapists, violence, school shootings, and other things that are more important than a tongue in check ad?

I guess they should boycott me as well. My 15 year old says 'Back the truck up' when he is surprised. I thought it was clever.

I guess they should boycott me as well. My 15 year old says 'Back the truck up' when he is surprised. I thought it was clever.

Wow, that surprises me that your a mother of a 15 year old.

You look so young.

I am going out after Criminal Minds to buy some Oreos. No fundy is making my favorite cookie a salvation issue!

EUPHEMISMS are foul language? Jesus Christ I don't understand these people.

yes, when I was growing up we weren't allowed to say "gosh" "gee" or "darn" because they were derived from real swear words. My fundie inlaws now type OMGoodness on FB... I guess if they just used the abbreviation people might think they meant God. I roll my eyes in their general direction.

I have never heard this saying before,but my kids are unsocialized homeschoolers . My kids have made up their own names for every swear word they know based on their friends and which ones their friends have used the most. They would say "Joe blew two Alissatizers today". Meaning Alissa loves to say" damn it!" so Joe said "damn it" twice. I get a rundown everytime we leave a group activitiy. I don't always know the original swear word, but I usually know who likes to say what and what the replacement word is for it. :/

This is from the One Million Moms site also. I didn't know that Shut The Front Door was an euphemism for something else. I'm not sure I believe it. But anyway, no Ben and Jerrys, no oreos. I don't eat either but it has nothing to do with religion or language.

Nell

Good god, half my aids say that at work. It keeps them out of trouble. (Swearing in the facility is an automatic write-up). It's a whole heck of a lot better than shut the eff up. I am known to say "snap" when something happens. My residents get a kick out of some of the "cute phrases". Oh, I work at a Christian nursing home.

Isn't there much more important things that mothers should be worry about auch as; The education system, bullying, healthy food, child rapists, violence, school shootings, and other things that are more important than a tongue in check ad?

I remember a friend of mine, who used to be principal of a Mormon release-time seminary (off campus religion classes for high schoolers), saying that his teachers would worry about their students wearing their baseball caps backwards. He'd have to remind them that in the scheme of things, the kids (a) were not being disrespectful and (b) had more important issues in their lives besides how they wore their baseball caps.

Majoring on minors.

yes, when I was growing up we weren't allowed to say "gosh" "gee" or "darn" because they were derived from real swear words. My fundie inlaws now type OMGoodness on FB... I guess if they just used the abbreviation people might think they meant God. I roll my eyes in their general direction.

Same here. No 'gosh', 'darn', 'gee', 'shoot' (even though my mother used that one on a regular basis and never acted like it was a bad word), or even 'oh my goodness'. I think even 'for heavens' sake' was frowned upon.

Mmmmm, Oreo cookies. You know what I bet would be super good? Crushed Oreos sprinkled over a big bowl of Shweddy Balls ice cream. The One Million Moms sundae!

In the fundie schools I grew up going to we were definitely NOT allowed to have Oreos. Only Hydrox. Oreos apparently used to use lard which would make them "unclean."

So using fundie scewed logic, they should also avoid any product with commercials that use the words: darn, dog gone it, heck, shoot, fiddlesticks, oh my goodness!, screwed, fudge, dang it, oh my gosh!, etc., etc. They are objecting because someone is using a sanitized phrase, created just so a person wouldn't use a more explicit one?

Fundies - always stuck focusing on the details and totally missing the overall picture.

Yup, Oreo switched from lard awhile back, to hydrogenated oils. THEN they got sued for using a trans fat, so NOW it's non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Um, yum, I guess?

I don't care what's in em, I love me some double stuffs.

I can remember getting scolded for saying 'gosh' at the Christian school I attended. Any 'replacement' swears were bad and there were entire chapel and devotion sessions dedicated bad language.

I personally don't like crude language, especially around children, but I don't see a problem with things like gash, darn, drat, or things like that. And I just don't get 'close the front door'... What's wrong with it?

Because using such euphemisms is the cause of all of the above...

Mmmmm, Oreo cookies. You know what I bet would be super good? Crushed Oreos sprinkled over a big bowl of Shweddy Balls ice cream. The One Million Moms sundae!

Haha you are awesome! So funny. Thanks for making me laugh today! :lol:

Archived