IGNORED

Rembis Fam: 11 kids, CPS, antivax, homeschool, CPS

Howl

Back when I did this stuff, we went by the American Safe Families Act ASFA. It gave parents 12 months to get their act together before termination of parental rights. It could be extended if the parents were making real progress. Don't know if this is still in effect.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SuchABlessing said:

Oh, and a question: does Mr. Rembis have a high school diploma? College degree? 

Yes, he does have a college degree. 

Judge Hart's docket beginning today, Jan. 6, does not show any hearings for Rembis. 
You can see the docket, by date, here.  I'm trying to find out if court was held earlier this week.

It was supposed to be the 4th

45 minutes ago, Jpearson678 said:

It was supposed to be the 4th

Correct, but we didn't hear anything and didn't find any updates on the local Lubbock TV station, so I checked to see if it had been rescheduled.  Not seeing Rembis anywhere on the docket for future dates. 

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Back when I did this stuff, we went by the American Safe Families Act ASFA. It gave parents 12 months to get their act together before termination of parental rights. It could be extended if the parents were making real progress. Don't know if this is still in effect.

Yep, ASFA/Adoption and Safe Families Act is still in effect. The ASFA timeline is that if the child has been in care for 15 out of the previous 22 months, the state will begin moving to terminate parental rights unless the they can demonstrate that terminating rights is not in the children's best interest, usually because the parents have made sufficient progress that it looks like the kids will eventually be able to be returned. (One of the grey areas of ASFA is what is deemed "sufficient," and this can vary wildly depending on jurisdiction or even judge to judge.) I'm a little unclear on exactly what the removal timeline was for the Rembis kids, but their current issue with CPS appears to have started in July or August of 2015, so they have to be ticking down pretty close to the ASFA deadline, and I can't imagine how an extension would be justified in their case.

My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong!) is that the current hearing is not to determine whether parental rights will be terminated - it's to determine whether the kids are able go home at this time. That said, if they don't go home, the odds of the ASFA clocking running out are pretty high. Not guaranteed, but more and more likely with every week and month that pass.

I called Judge Hart's office in Lubbock.  The scheduler confirmed that the Rembis hearing was held last week on the scheduled date at 3 pm, but she could not discuss the outcome. 

Crickets on both The Rembis Family and Claire Elizabeth Remis fb pages. 

Maybe she's keeping some stuff private now.  However, if the kids were home, somebody would be talking about it......In the past, one of the Lubbock TV stations was updating regularly back in Aug - October when the story broke.  Is there some point at which information on these types of cases are sealed by the court or the court hearings are closed?  Or maybe part of her facebook is private. 

The Rembis family has shown frustration when a news source other than medical kidnap ("news") reports their stuff first. My bet is that they are prepping a media spin piece.

It's one of those sad situations where you hope that the kids don't go back to their family. Which is hard because it's what they know. I just want them to have a normal life where their parents aren't using them for their own gain. 

Maybe it's starting to sink in that they may well not get these kids back and the silence indicates that they're actually putting effort into working their case.  One would hope they'd care enough about their kids to do that.

I'd like to see an update on the case, but all I hear are crickets chirping. I really hope the Lubbock Co. DA does not indulge the Rembis parents desires to make sure their children are homeschooled, no vaccines, and no cutting of the hair. One of their daughters had hair so matted it took 2 different hair stylists 9 hours to comb it out.

At this point I'm assuming that the Rembis family did not get custody back at the hearing and didn't receive any concessions from CPS. (Nor should they have, of course.) If they had in any way won, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Their sudden silence makes me think they didn't get anything they can remotely spin positive. I just feel bad for those poor kids.

I hate this situation but honestly any parent that gets their kids taken fights and does every little thing the judge asks. These parents honestly think they are above the judge and will ens up loosing their kids more than just physically. Those kids will ask when they are adults hey mom and dad why did you not fight for us.

Thing is the parents will tell them they did fight for the kids but evil government persecuted them and took them away because of their beliefs which were right. 

The parents will spin it to a state where they did everything they could against the machine but lost. How the kids take that will depend on how bad things were at home and how good the foster parents and outside world are to each kid.

Parental spin will work on some but not all of them.

Sad as it would be for their children, I don't think these parents should regain custody.  They have shown no understanding that they need to change their behavior.  They don't think they did anything wrong.  

No further information has come up in the Rembis family's most recent court date so we believe they didn't get their children back. This is truly a sad case, because it appears the parents really don't want their children anymore. 

Carrying on from here: 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

I think that they are only concerned with themselves. They got a taste of life without children and I think that they liked it.
They're not going to follow the rules set down by CPS anyway!

William has posted an Iron Maiden song "dedicated to his son". 

Other than that, stuff about metal bands, how evil adoption is, etc. A few memes. 

12 minutes ago, Antimony said:

William has posted an Iron Maiden song "dedicated to his son". 

Other than that, stuff about metal bands, how evil adoption is, etc. A few memes. 

Not "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter"?

Ugh, these people. My heart breaks for their children. What must it be like for them, to know their parents just aren't doing what they should? :my_sad:

Edited for typo. 

Both parents seem more than a little "off" to me.  As in, they seem unable to see the reality that most of us (including CPS) see.  As in, they seem to be able to toddle along without their many children, going here and there and enjoying themselves quite fine.  For this, and for the horrible living conditions the children were subjected to before removal, I think the better course would be for the parents to permanently lose custody.  Maybe at least some of the children might end up adopted by people who would give them a better life.

Does anyone know, off hand, how long this will go on before the kids are adoptable? How many of them will still be young enough?:my_cry:

They're just posting away about the stupidest shit. 

What is their living/work situation?  Are they doing anything at all to try to get their children home?

Archived