IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

2 hours ago, withaj said:

Surprised she hadn't sooner. It was still public over the weekend.

Am I imagining that Jeannie and co were/are just recently back on a jaunt to the US? If so, I wonder if it was for the birth or whether this has been in the works.

you're remembering correctly, and they are in fact still here. i had assumed they'd timed their visit two coincide with the two impending births of grandchildren. it's really lucky that they're here for this, to support katie in handling her 7 kids + newborn ALONE

(unless, of course, it's not lucky at all and they had wind that this was coming...)

((and to answer my own speculation that would be incredibly surprising, since if i'm remembering correctly jackie smith was posting happy pictures of katy and alan together right before her fb poofed))

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad her family seem to be supporting her. She is going to need it. 

I was wondering if Adult Protective Services would/could get involved given Katie's lack of skills to support her kids. She's almost like a child herself.

41 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I applaud all those who work with abused children. They have a difficult job.  If they can make it easier for the victims and their families, it should happen.

This is exactly my relative's opinion. She sees & hears horrific things, things no child (or adult for that matter) should have to describe over and over and over. Never mind the issues of witness reliability, testifying in front of an alleged abuser, etc. 

In my last post I forgot to welcome the newcomers. We are pretty diverse here. I dont have a problem with Christians or homeschooling. I do think they focus on the wrong parts of the bible.

I look forward to your contributions.

adding to the broad support for katie from the smorton&friends camp: mike jr posted the gofundme publicly to his fb and a mix of lanes, roberts, mortons and - most interesting imo -  née smiths have liked the post. appears the support for katie comes from both sides of the aisle. good. 

Anyone else notice that the latest video link for Captain Bret is now private? His page of videos about marriage & courtship has made those videos private as well.

I have to say - it's good they're not out there for anyone to fall prey to, but there is clearly something that needs to be hidden in the videos. Perceived or real. 

This is tragic if he's guilty I hope he rots in jail. I feel for Katie being pregnant and finding out this about your husband and now left raising 8 kids with little means of supporting them. It's great that her family are on her side but she will need to find a way of providing for children long term. With no skills she will struggle to find a job that will support 9 people. 

On July 27, 2016 at 3:50 AM, SolomonFundy said:

In other news, Katie and Alan listed their home for sale last May, and have had two potential offers fall through since. The most recent was in April of this year. 

As I believe someone mentioned upthread, Cap'n Bret and his wife own the house. I can't imagine why two pending sales could have fallen through other than from significant inspection failures. It may well be for the best that it hasn't sold, though -- Katie and her huge brood wouldn't be able to rent a place for less than the cost of that house's mortgage payment, which she is not legally responsible for anyway -- and what an incredibly stressful thing it would be to have to move with 7 small children and a newborn in the midst of all the existing chaos. The GoFundMe money will allow her to contribute to the mortgage payment if her in-laws need it (unsure what the Cap'n's financial situation might be, but fundies don't tend to be rolling in it) and also support her family for at least the next 3-4 months or more while the dust begins to settle.

Hopefully, the family's political views will take a backseat to reality, and won't prevent her from getting the government aid she needs.

I suspect Adeline will not be heading back to Paraguay anytime soon.

Interesting that Barbara Niednagel is one of the few people outside the family willing to attach her name to a GFM donation. The Niednagels are so image conscious. 

8 hours ago, bjr70 said:

I was wondering if Adult Protective Services would/could get involved given Katie's lack of skills to support her kids. She's almost like a child herself.

Would it not immediately be the case in the US that they would immediately be under the umbrella of CPS based on the husband's charges?

I'm pretty sure that here (UK) any crime like this would immediately be referred to our social services by the police, where there are minors living or have been living in the house with a sex offender. They wouldn't be released from their oversight until they were satisfied that all children were not at risk of any harm, and that would include the emotional well-being of the children. 

*Just to add that this does not imply in any way that our Child Services are any better than yours, ours is deeply under-resourced and far from perfect, but I think there is a basic protocol that must be followed in these cases.

Kennedy Morton also donated 50$ and put her name under it. She also has posted about the GoFundMe page on her facebook wall. This is the text she wrote:

My brother-in-law Alan Smith recently got brought out and arrested leaving his wife and kids behind and in need. We are all sickened and distressed by this and are trying to help Katie and the kids in all ways possible. Even the smallest gift is appreciated....
‪#‎GlorytoGod‬ ‪#‎gofundme‬

it seems like Katie really has a LOT of support from her family. I just hope they don't try to handle this situation without the support of any "outsiders". Katie, the victim(s) and everbody in this family needs professional help.

It is really heartbreaking. Although they are bunch of uberfundies, I feel really sad for them. You might call me naive, but I really hope that this will lead them away from their hardcore fundie route.

13 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Well, damn. I know I've hit the up/red arrow when I particularly like something (thinking of it like a 'like' on FB), but I apparently never even thought about the green one or its purpose. I must have noticed it was there, but it never even registered.

I clearly do not ever need to ask how people can 'not see what is in front of their faces'. And if I have, I have my answer.

I'm chuckling.  I hope you haven't been down-voting posts you actually like!  Green arrow = like. Red arrow = dislike.  If you accidentally hit the wrong one you can cancel your vote by clicking it again.

Yep, it's sort of mistake that I can easily make too. :)

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Kennedy Morton also donated 50$ and put her name under it. She also has posted about the GoFundMe page on her facebook wall. This is the text she wrote:

My brother-in-law Alan Smith recently got brought out and arrested leaving his wife and kids behind and in need. We are all sickened and distressed by this and are trying to help Katie and the kids in all ways possible. Even the smallest gift is appreciated....
‪#‎GlorytoGod‬ ‪#‎gofundme‬

it seems like Katie really has a LOT of support from her family. I just hope they don't try to handle this situation without the support of any "outsiders". Katie, the victim(s) and everbody in this family needs professional help.

It is really heartbreaking. Although they are bunch of uberfundies, I feel really sad for them. You might call me naive, but I really hope that this will lead them away from their hardcore fundie route.

My underlining in the Kennedy quote.  Hmmm.  "Brought out and arrested."

That almost sounds as though she is upset that he has been arrested leaving Katie in need of support not that she is upset by the crimes he has (allegedly) committed.  

I am glad that the family is rallying around to support Katie financially but they may still be in denial about the sexual abuse and incest.  

I'm sorry to be so cynical, but I'm still in wait and see mode when it comes to how they deal with the realities of the charges against Bret Alan Smith.

3 hours ago, Darwinesque said:

Would it not immediately be the case in the US that they would immediately be under the umbrella of CPS based on the husband's charges?

I'm pretty sure that here (UK) any crime like this would immediately be referred to our social services by the police, where there are minors living or have been living in the house with a sex offender. They wouldn't be released from their oversight until they were satisfied that all children were not at risk of any harm, and that would include the emotional well-being of the children. 

*Just to add that this does not imply in any way that our Child Services are any better than yours, ours is deeply under-resourced and far from perfect, but I think there is a basic protocol that must be followed in these cases.

Yes.  CPS intervention is inevitable.  The question is whether the family will comply with CPS plans and use the services recommended and provided for the long term.  

If the perpetrator is released on bond, he hasn't been yet, I'm damn sure it will be conditional on his having no contact whatsoever with the victim(s).  The family, and Katie, will have to comply with that order - whether they believe the charges or not.  

CPS is far from perfect and extremely underfunded here too, but does its best.  The general public only ever hears about the cases that go wrong, not the thousands of cases that go right and help children in horrible situations.  

And no, @bjr70.   Katie would not fall under APS - unless she is actually diagnosed as having a disability and is currently being abused herself.  CPS is able to recommend and provide services to help the whole family, however, and that includes Katie.

46 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

That almost sounds as though she is upset that he has been arrested leaving Katie in need of support not that she is upset by the crimes he has (allegedly) committed.  

I am glad that the family is rallying around to support Katie financially but they may still be in denial about the sexual abuse and incest.  

That is exactly how I read it too. At best, she is trying to avoid telling it how it is. At worst, she is upset by the fact that Alan was arrested, not by his crimes. But then, I'm quite the cynic myself.

53 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm sorry to be so cynical, but I'm still in wait and see mode when it comes to how they deal with the realities of the charges against Bret Alan Smith.

Second that. Neither Mike nor Andrew have said anything about the situation. Being in-laws of Bret, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Bret had multiple calls for action on his FB page, for people who got arrested or had their children taken away, because they beat them half-dead were exercising their god-given parentals rights.

For now, you could interpret the situation both ways.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Eh, I think that might just be weird phrasing due to lack of familiarity with the legal system. I read the "sickened and distressed" part as her being sickened by the crime and distressed for Katie's situation. 

It's got to be a tough pill to swallow, but they seem to be doing it from what we've seen. Michael's link to the news article (which has incest in the url -- pretty blatant), his reference to the "foreseeable future", and his disclaimer about legal fees indicates to me that he thinks Alan is guilty and will be -- and perhaps deserves to be -- gone for some time.

I don't blame you for your cynicism. But I think it is surprising that this is not being sugar coated and couched in rhetoric about persecution. That's unusual, and it's giving me the smallest bit of reassurance that the family will be handling this in Katie's and the victim's true best interests. I hope I won't be proven wrong.

18 minutes ago, Drunkenbutterfly said:

Second that. Neither Mike nor Andrew have said anything about the situation. Being in-laws of Bret, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Bret had multiple calls for action on his FB page, for people who got arrested or had their children taken away, because they beat them half-dead were exercising their god-given parentals rights.

For now, you could interpret the situation both ways.

Not sure who you mean by Mike, but Michael Jr. created the gofundme and posted it to his wall, and kennedy's husband andrew is the only one of the morton kids i've seen to actually post the gofundme to his instagram (although he goes by tom there so it's easy to miss). 

count me in the camp that interpreted kennedy's words as sick and distressed about what alan did, and "brought out" to mean more like 'exposed and arrested'. 

13 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

Not sure who you mean by Mike, but Michael Jr. created the gofundme and posted it to his wall, and kennedy's husband andrew is the only one of the morton kids i've seen to actually post the gofundme to his instagram (although he goes by tom there so it's easy to miss). 

count me in the camp that interpreted kennedy's words as sick and distressed about what alan did, and "brought out" to mean more like 'exposed and arrested'. 

Mike is Katie's dad, Michael Morton Sr.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

I think a lot of non-fundie families would also be in a phase of denial when something like this comes out. The S'Mortons probably need time and after that I really hope they don't deny anything or try to sweep things under the rug, but instead deal with it a mature way.

44 minutes ago, JillyO said:

That is exactly how I read it too. At best, she is trying to avoid telling it how it is. At worst, she is upset by the fact that Alan was arrested, not by his crimes. But then, I'm quite the cynic myself.

Since english isn't my first language I might read it wrong.

34 minutes ago, withaj said:

Mike is Katie's dad, Michael Morton Sr.

48 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

Huh, I could be wrong, but I always thought they call the Sr. Michael and the Jr. Mike?

And I probably didn't explain correctly, since this was a direct response to Palimpsest: I meant that they haven't said anything towards the reasons for Alan's arrest. 

They have been vague about it (I would done the same in their situation!), but given their history this could go both ways.

Their vagueness isn't something I question. I mean, I certainly wouldn't be publicizing if a relative of mine did the things Alan is accused of doing. Fundie or not, they have every right to not blast the story to the social media world. Besides, if they're sharing the gofundme link, the link to the news piece is included, which explains the charges, so why repeat/draw it out? They aren't required to go into any detail or explain how they are handling it or anything else.

Plus, let's not forget there is an active investigation going on and there are most likely many throughout the family who can NOT talk about it.

All that being said, I still don't accept that they are rallying around Katie without other baggage. Denial, their religious doctrine about roles of people, government, etc. The support surrounding Katie is all about the finances - nothing else is apparent. Not to say it doesn't exist, but even the gofundme page is focused entirely on her being without a headship to pay the bills.

And, the disclaimer about the funds not going to Alan is, I think, a required one for gofundme. They will not allow fund raising for defense funds/those accused of crimes. Captain Bret knows that well because on his FB there is a blurb about being sorry about those wanting to raise funds for someone named Daniel's defense but gofundme doesn't allow it. (It was in early July; I don't know who Daniel is, and yes, it had occurred to me that it was a code name for Alan, but Jacqueline still her FB up and was sharing family pics, so I the timeline doesn't fit...but I could be wrong, who the hell knows, and how are all these run on sentences of mine?)

I was accepting of the support yesterday, but with a nagging feeling. I have come full circle, I think, and gone all the way back to cynical. All the while knowing that what I think doesn't matter to them or the situation or anything else.

Just imagine - I am running a gamut of thoughts on this thing and those thoughts change daily; imagine what it's like to be in the middle of it. Especially if you are Katie and never actually made a decision in your entire life.

I just hope Katie is mentally able to handle this and make decisions for herself and her children! She always seems super innocent almost naive in the videos/pictures. 

Hopefully she'll get some medicine for the post partum depression she is 90% likely to have!! 

7 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Just imagine - I am running a gamut of thoughts on this thing and those thoughts change daily; imagine what it's like to be in the middle of it. Especially if you are Katie and never actually made a decision in your entire life.

I simply cannot imagine being in the middle of it, or being Katie, or be any member of this family. It is so sickening.

6 minutes ago, ophelia said:

I simply cannot imagine being in the middle of it, or being Katie, or be any member of this family. It is so sickening.

I can tell you exactly how it feels to be in the middle of it, but it was my son, not my husband.

"Wait, what?"

"not my son" "Well, he's very good with young children. People ask for him to be mother's helper because he's so patient with them."

What do you mean that's not normal? He's small, he's immature, he relates better to younger kids because they don't threaten and make fun of him like older kids do. He doesn't play sports so he has nothing in common with kids his age. Yes, it worries me, but I just thought it meant he might become a kindergarten teacher one day. *I* certainly don't have that patience with young kids.

Then the lies and discrepancies started. That's when "OMG could he have done this?" and the sick feeling in the stomach began. 

I lost my job because of his behavior. (long convoluted story involving the Catholic church. ) There was anger and shame on my part. I've never lost a job!

Then the therapy that didn't progress, and the testing revealing that he does have this prediliction, and the "what could we have done differently to have prevented this?" Endless soul searching, grieving, and trying like mad to MAKE him work through the therapy and come to a "least likely to re-offend" diagnosis. At some point in here, it was "OMG he DID do this." 

When the second pair of victims came to court, and he was recommended for inpatient therapy, it was almost a relief. (All of my son's offenses occurred within a short period of time, but the second set didn't come forward for nearly a year.) 

In-resident therapy was much more intense, and required family therapy, and Mr. Four and I were as honest as we could be. It still took many months of therapy until a breakthrough came through.  

Since release, I do find myself watching him to see what and who he's looking at. I confess to feeling relieved that he spends most of his time in his room when he's not at work. I will not look at his phone or his computer, however. I don't want to know what's on there. He's reached his majority. It's all on him.

Finally Mr. Four and I realized that while Son has this issue, it's not our fault, it's not our responsibility, and it's not our problem. Sometimes, I still wonder.

While obviously some of this will not apply to Katie, it may well apply to Allan's family. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived