IGNORED

Seventeen - Not the Magazine - Bateseseses Threads!

SpoonfulOSugar

1 hour ago, bashfulpixie said:

So how many times do we think Becky M entered that 20th Bates contest?

I wonder if that older lady whose tape they showed was Becky m. I kind of think anyone over the age of 30 is a little weird for wanting to meet essentially a group of kids. I'm 25 and can't imagine myself  wanting to take the time to enter a contest like that. And did uptv reimburse them for driving all the way from Texas. I'd thought they would win a plane ticket. 

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

On the Bates family fan blog they write about Josie Duggar discipline one of the little Bates boy (i think its Jeb) instead of Josie Bates. I can't stop questioning my solo why they don't read wath they write before put on pubblic... :my_biggrin::my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but it is when the parents were away and Judson didn't want to eat his food and Josie told him to have a better attitude. I don't really think it was that much discipline, it wasn't like she punished him she just told him to take two bites. My family was sort of the same, we couldn't just eat our snack and had to eat some of our dinner if we were "full". I feel like discipline in my opinion is time out or consequences. 

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sophie10130 said:

I just want to know where she picked it up.

Something like that doesn't just slip out one day. She probably says it often and if so, who is she talking with that is okay with her saying that? Her other fundie buddies? Seems weird to me. Even my mom, who wasn't that religious, didn't like us saying "Oh my God" and I've gotten punished for that more than I have for saying shit or dammit.

I had some good alternatives for a while: Oh mylanta, oh my goodness, oh my land, and goodness gracious.

My mom was the same way. To this day I just can't say it.

Maybe Carlin said, "Oh my gosh"? I do hear a lot of younger churchies saying that.

Wasn't Alyssa  catched saying "what the h..." despite she didn't finished the sentence? Maybe it's just being more mainstream. Also I know a couple of women raised very strict, who began using bad words as a way to slighty rebel. 

So Carlin not only has a "thug life" t-shirt but also takes the Lord's name in vain? Is she going to be the wildest fundie child yet? :pb_lol:

I don't watch the Bates' show, I just read about them here, so I'm lol'ing over the fact they had a 20th Bates contest to begin with. Wow. 

13 hours ago, season of life said:

I was on one of the Bateses' Instagram accounts and one commenter said she was disappointed in Carlin for taking the Lord's name in vain. So I guess being a part of a homophobic, woman-hating cult is A-OK but saying "Oh my God" is totes disgusting.

That's the fundie mindset in a nutshell: woman wearing pants/tank tops, saying "oh my god", or drinking? SINNER! BAD EVIL SINNER! Guy sexually assaulting his sisters repeatedly, cheating on his wife, advocating for hateful religious radicals, and bearing false witness by catfishing women on OKCupid? Well, he said sowwy to Jesus, so it's all OK now.

18 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

I had some good alternatives for a while: Oh mylanta, oh my goodness, oh my land, and goodness gracious.

Oh fiddlesticks, ala Scarlett O'Hara, or a good "aarghhhh" or "EEK"  work too. Sometimes. I like goodness gracious too. But a bona fide cuss word is necessary in some situations. It will be the last bad habit I break. I wouldn't worry about saying o my God, because to me God isn't petty like that and is concerned with more important aspects of our behavior. Frankly, it was never clear to me what taking God's name in vain meant. I do say got damn instead of goddamn though, or just dammit.

@SilverBeach, Scarlett said "Fiddle-dee-dee".  Some variation of fiddlesticks like fiddle-dee-dee or just plain fiddle used to be pretty common, at least in the South.  My mom used to "Shhht"  which my sister adopted -at least for a while.  Her little boy picked up saying shot except he put the "i" into it!  I just go ahead and say shit.  

3 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@SilverBeach, Scarlett said "Fiddle-dee-dee".  Some variation of fiddlesticks like fiddle-dee-dee or just plain fiddle used to be pretty common, at least in the South.  

Yes! Fiddle dee dee! Thanks! I say that sometimes too.

I was an Au Pair once and one of the kids was a 4 year old boy. One day we were in McDonalds on the playground area where he shouted out "Pluck!". 

I must've looked pretty aghast, since he quickly added "What!? I didn't say Fuck, I said Pluck!" I don't know where he heard the word Fuck, because the parents were always very careful around the children when it came to swear words.

20 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So Carlin not only has a "thug life" t-shirt but also takes the Lord's name in vain? Is she going to be the wildest fundie child yet? :pb_lol:

I don't watch the Bates' show, I just read about them here, so I'm lol'ing over the fact they had a 20th Bates contest to begin with. Wow. 

I really think Carlin's going to pull an Alyssa. And while I disapprove of a sheltered white girl traipsing around in a thug life t-shirt (though trust me, I did my fair share of cringeworthy things as a teenage sheltered white girl), I'm glad that she doesn't seem to have her spirit and spark beaten out of her and has a flair for fashion. And while Clown College is, well, Clown College, at least it gets her out of the house and might help her get that coveted MRS degree that gives her a one-way ticket to Pants and Tank Tops Town. And that's the most I can hope for, honestly.

14 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@SilverBeach, Scarlett said "Fiddle-dee-dee".  Some variation of fiddlesticks like fiddle-dee-dee or just plain fiddle used to be pretty common, at least in the South.  My mom used to "Shhht"  which my sister adopted -at least for a while.  Her little boy picked up saying shot except he put the "i" into it!  I just go ahead and say shit.  

I remember watching 'Designing Women' (anyone remember that show??)  where one of the ladies' son was using curse words for shock value.  The man partner in the design firm offered to have a talk with him.  He took him out for ice cream, and then told him that he likes to use a word when he's upset too.  The boy is all ears and ready to hear the worst curse word ever.  The man says " I say "Phooey!"  The boy is shocked and says "Really?"  The man says 'Yep.  Phooey covers just about everything.'

LOL

I still say Phooey, and so do my kids!

The newest bio update made me feel really sorry for Josie and Katie.  With Michael and the other older girls married, it's pretty clear that the parenting responsibilities for the youngest kids have skipped Carlin and Tori and landed squarely on Josie's slender shoulders:

Josie has filled in her older sisters roles, becoming the biggest help in the home and is one of the hardest workers I know. She knows how to direct and organize her younger siblings to capitalize on their cooperation when projects need to be done.

As for Katie, she's described as being the primary babysitter for her nephews (and now nieces, I'd guess?)  As we predicted: the younger girls are being used as aunt-moms for their siblings' kids. She probably loves it, but it's a lot of responsibility for a teenager.

I'm glad Carlin and Tori are able to get out, but I'm sad to see Josie and Katie being pigeonholed into the sister-mom/aunt-mom slots.

1 hour ago, Jigsaw3 said:

The newest bio update made me feel really sorry for Josie and Katie.  With Michael and the other older girls married, it's pretty clear that the parenting responsibilities for the youngest kids have skipped Carlin and Tori and landed squarely on Josie's slender shoulders:

As for Katie, she's described as being the primary babysitter for her nephews (and now nieces, I'd guess?)  As we predicted: the younger girls are being used as aunt-moms for their siblings' kids. She probably loves it, but it's a lot of responsibility for a teenager.

I'm glad Carlin and Tori are able to get out, but I'm sad to see Josie and Katie being pigeonholed into the sister-mom/aunt-mom slots.

At least Josie and Katie got bios that don't repeat. Carlin's has two sentences at the beginning that are repeated at the end. 

(I know, I know. Total BEC moment. It's probably just a copy and paste mistake or something.)

Anyway, Tori does a lot with homeschooling the younger kids. Not sure about Carlin, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was drafted into various responsibilities as well. Possibly cooking for the family - I think Tori is the one that doesn't enjoy cooking or that they tease for not being good at it.

On 8/21/2016 at 5:57 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

I really think Carlin's going to pull an Alyssa. And while I disapprove of a sheltered white girl traipsing around in a thug life t-shirt (though trust me, I did my fair share of cringeworthy things as a teenage sheltered white girl), I'm glad that she doesn't seem to have her spirit and spark beaten out of her and has a flair for fashion. And while Clown College is, well, Clown College, at least it gets her out of the house and might help her get that coveted MRS degree that gives her a one-way ticket to Pants and Tank Tops Town. And that's the most I can hope for, honestly.

Not to be too ridiculous on this, but they buy their clothes at second hand shops (which is fine, at least I don't have to hear Jim Bob Duggar talk about 'buy used save the difference' every time they do it) but maybe she doesn't know what a thug life is? Maybe she has no idea....

I think about that with them.  Even at Crown, they must be encountering all kind of pop culture references they don't get. Even something like say 'the wizard of oz,' they won't get those basic references.  How do they talk to people at all? 

Since we're on the topic of college, can I just say I wish Carlin/Josie went to PCC instead of Crown? Well, obviously I'd actually wish for accredited, real college... or at least one that was less strict/gave female students equal rights compared to the male students. But they can commute to Crown and live at home; at least PCC would get them out of that house for 2-4 years. They could even room together. I thought old those pictures at PCC posted in the past meant a kid would be going, but alas, it was just for Tori's boy toy. 

5 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Not to be too ridiculous on this, but they buy their clothes at second hand shops (which is fine, at least I don't have to hear Jim Bob Duggar talk about 'buy used save the difference' every time they do it) but maybe she doesn't know what a thug life is? Maybe she has no idea....

I think about that with them.  Even at Crown, they must be encountering all kind of pop culture references they don't get. Even something like say 'the wizard of oz,' they won't get those basic references.  How do they talk to people at all? 

Oh I think they are way less sheltered about pop culture than we think. First they have cousins that they interact with. So I'm sure they fill them in on who some of the more famous celebs and singers are. Second, they have older siblings with movie collections and a sister in law who was brought up mainstream. Third there are probably some fundies in the Gothard group that have been allowed more tv than some and fill them in. Fourth K and G are getting more lax since the youngest boys like paw patrol. And finally they do go to Walmart. Which will expose you to random pop culture like Cinderella on t shirts and other Disney type stuff. 

So im concluding that yeah, they probably won't know what Arrested Development is, but I'm sure they know the very popular classics like Cinderella and the Wizard of Oz.

Don't they need chaperones when they go to Crown? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

21 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Don't they need chaperones when they go to Crown? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

For dating purposes, and maybe walking on campus passed a certain hour at night, yes. Same rules at PCC, though PCC also has separate stairwells for males and females. Both have crazy rules, but you absolutely have to live in a dorm at Crown under their rules unless your parents are within a certain distance. The Bates' home is within that distance and it appeared that Crown made an exception for whichever J.Duggar male attended because it looked like he lived with them instead of on campus. So the girls are getting out of the house for a few hours, at best, and back home in time to make dinner for the family and potty train another kid. :my_rolleyes:

I mean I read somewhere that the Bates needed chaperones the whole day.

2 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I mean I read somewhere that the Bates needed chaperones the whole day.

I think it was speculation that turned into fact, because Nathan and I believe Alyssa went to classes with Erin for the first year. But I remember there was a web episode on tlc of Erin attending college and don't remember her having a chaperone. This is where she mentioned the scholarship and green hair.

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/videos/erin-bates-goes-to-college/

" Second, they have older siblings with movie collections and a sister in law who was brought up mainstream. Third there are probably some fundies in the Gothard group that have been allowed more tv than some and fill them in. Fourth K and G are getting more lax since the youngest boys like paw patrol. And finally they do go to Walmart. Which will expose you to random pop culture like Cinderella on t shirts and other Disney type stuff. "

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes to this. I remember on bringing up bates when they all went to that hibachi restaurant, none of them knew who spongebob square pants was besides Chad and Whitney. I believe John did too but he did not say. Chads family are in high rankings and he said "they didn't watch television growing up." So clearly he did.  

Side note, sponge bob does drop a lot of subliminals lol. 

11 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

The not knowing pop-culture thing is sooooo not a problem.

I live in New Zealand. Until the age of 21 I had no access to TV other than The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and The Simpsons - both pretty limited and both in german. I had almost unlimited access to movies once I hit my teens (once again in german). 

I never bothered with a whole bunch of the "classics" (to this day I haven't watched Princess Bride even though I've been told I'll get kicked out of the extended family for that travesty, lol)

Had a tv for about 6 years and still didn't watch daytime tv, soaps or most of the popular series. Haven't had a tv for at least 3 years (though I do watch some stuff online)

It has NEVER bothered me if I missed a reference. I'd say as much and then the people would either explain it or not. And then the conversation would continue.

Maybe I'm just surrounded by outliers, but people around me don't just talk about movies, tv and use quotes in every other sentence..... :pb_rollseyes:

I also grew up in an environment without a lot of media access, and I still don't really enjoy TV/movies/video games or understand the whole cult of celebrity that seems to happen around some of the people in Hollywood. Needless to say, I'm close to clueless about most of my generation's mainstream pop culture reference points, and I'm not motivated to correct it. That said, I've never had any problems carrying on conversations with people.  I'm sure I miss the significance of the odd comment, but it hasn't negatively impacted my life. People who know my background are usually pretty good about explaining anything major to me, and I have yet to encounter anyone who wants to have a conversation solely about something in the pop culture world. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived