IGNORED

Brethren defrauded at street fair

libmomj

Apparently Michigan has a smattering of Gospel Hall Brethren (full on head-covering, rapture-ready fundy) throughout the state -- who knew? The local assembly had a booth at a street fair I went to today. The event planner must have a great sense of humor because the Brethren were located directly across from a dance studio's booth, where the girls performed in regular dance attire to lots of secular favorites. And directly to the evangelists' left was the high school robotics team, predominantly female.

This area is generally "church on Christmas" and conservative in financial matters only; I bet most of the attendants thought the fundy women were normal folk dressed up for the event's Victorian theme.

I went to a street fair today in Ohio and there was a surprising amount of fundies and fundie-lites there. The local fundie church had a booth and were trying to proselytize, there were a couple of obviously fundie girls selling plants, and the main entertainment (at the time I was there) was a guy badly singing blatantly Christian songs.

...Along with local high school cheerleaders still in uniform after the morning's parade and plenty of young men and women like myself wearing distinctly non fundie-clothing. It was an interesting day.

Must be "street fair day". My town in Ohio is having a street fair all weekend. I haven't made it downtown yet, though, so I don't know if there's any defrauding going on :D

Archived