IGNORED

I have a new found love for Foo Fighters

fundiefan

I have been a fan of them for a long time and I like that they responded to the WBC. Others have had their concerts picketed by WBC have responded to them or have least told their fans to ignore the WBC. Lady Gaga told her fans to to ignore the WBC when they picketed at her concerts.

For the past couple of years the WBC has picketed some events without much explanation. They picketed a St.Louis Cardinals a game a couple of years back. I was visiting relatives there and they protested the game the day before.

I really want to love the Foo Fighters, but their business with Alive and Well, who say HIV and AIDS are not linked, has left me soured on them.

I really want to love the Foo Fighters, but their business with Alive and Well, who say HIV and AIDS are not linked, has left me soured on them.

Co-signed.

I didn't know that. Truth be told, I know nothing of them really. I am not a fan in general. I just loved what I saw in that link/video because I love anyone who can poke fun at WBC.

That's interesting to know, though.

I had never heard of "Alive and Well" before so I did a bit of reading. Holy crap! So the woman who founded it had HIV/Aids, denied it, didn't treat it with the modern drugs that have kept other people alive for years and years. Got pregnant and didn't take the drugs that stop the virus from infecting the baby in utero. Gave birth to an infected child who died at age 3. Woman herself died a few years later.

But it wasn't AIDS???? Give me a freaking break. What a useless piece of shit she was. good riddance.

BTW - The Foo Fighters no longer show Alive and Well as a charity link on their website. Hopefully they are no longer supporting them at all.

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to be hearing "Keep it clean" for all afternoon now...

As for the Foo Fighters' involvement with Alive and Well, I'd like to think that it was a stupid and rather ignorant move on their behalf. Wikipedia claims that "Foo Fighter bassist Nate Mendel learned of Alive & Well through What If Everything You Thought You Knew about AIDS Was Wrong?, a self-published book written by Christine Maggiore, the organization's founder. Mendel passed the book around to the rest of the band, who supported his advocacy." (source). The Foo Fighters are no longer supporting the cause and I'd like to think they quickly understood it was cow poo-poo after all.

"The entertainment industry is a microcosm of the people in this doomed nation: hard-hearted, hell-bound, and hedonistic," leader Fred Phelps wrote on the church's website. "These people have a platform and should be using it to encourage obedience to God; instead they teach every person who will listen all things contrary to him: fornication, adultery, idolatry, fags."

Oh yes, what a good Christian. Fucker!

"The entertainment industry is a microcosm of the people in this doomed nation: hard-hearted, hell-bound, and hedonistic," leader Fred Phelps wrote on the church's website. "These people have a platform and should be using it to encourage obedience to God; instead they teach every person who will listen all things contrary to him: fornication, adultery, idolatry, fags."

Oh yes, what a good Christian. Fucker!

like those assholes encourage obedience to god. they encourage god hate.

Yup, I'll never let them forget it. They might have realised the error of their ways quickly, but the influence their endorsement had on their fans is not as easily resolved - in an article I read, one of the fans who attended the Alive and Well benefit concert that Nate Mendel organised went on to work for the charity.

Whenever anyone raves about the Foo Fighters to me, I always make sure to inform them that they once supported a charity that encourages parents to let their children die from AIDS, and that coincidentally they also make shitty music.

Yup, I'll never let them forget it. They might have realised the error of their ways quickly, but the influence their endorsement had on their fans is not as easily resolved - in an article I read, one of the fans who attended the Alive and Well benefit concert that Nate Mendel organised went on to work for the charity.

Whenever anyone raves about the Foo Fighters to me, I always make sure to inform them that they once supported a charity that encourages parents to let their children die from AIDS, and that coincidentally they also make shitty music.

Grrrr!!! I had forgotten about the Foo Fighters being involved with that charity. A few years ago, I read a lot on the charity's founder and they were never able to determine if her daughter did die of AIDS-related pneumonia because apparently an AIDS-denialist doctor claimed it was an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. Anyways, Foo' put on the concert in 2000, which was before the girl was even born. She died in 2005 and the charity founder died in 2008 (allegedly of AIDS-related complications). I'd like to think that with both of those deaths Dave n' company have stopped giving their support.

Anyways... this was great! I'm pretty sure in this video you can hear one of the WBC supporters at the end say "I love that song!"

youtube.com/watch?v=6e5hRLbCaCs

RE: Alive and Well and the Foo Fighters. I think it's actually a really good cautionary tale about organizations like Alive and Well. The Foo Fighters are generally good, thoughtful guys. They do a ridiculous amount of charity work, they tend to be well-spoken, they've obviously read a lot. Yet they were easily led down the scam of Alive and Well. Anytime something like this happens with a celebrity, I think it's a double edged sword. Obviously, it's bad if they influenced others to go down the same path. But it's good, in that it keeps the dangers of the organization in the public consciousness as well and it's a good cautionary tale for all of us about how easy it is to be taken in by groups like this.

I had never heard of "Alive and Well" before so I did a bit of reading. Holy crap! So the woman who founded it had HIV/Aids, denied it, didn't treat it with the modern drugs that have kept other people alive for years and years. Got pregnant and didn't take the drugs that stop the virus from infecting the baby in utero. Gave birth to an infected child who died at age 3. Woman herself died a few years later.

But it wasn't AIDS???? Give me a freaking break. What a useless piece of shit she was. good riddance.

BTW - The Foo Fighters no longer show Alive and Well as a charity link on their website. Hopefully they are no longer supporting them at all.

You and Alecto may want to check out the documentary "House of Numbers" which does a good, balanced job of explaining why some people think that HIV and AIDS are not always connected. I watched it and was shocked, for one, that there are so many false positive HIV tests. The tests themselves are pretty inaccurate.

You and Alecto may want to check out the documentary "House of Numbers" which does a good, balanced job of explaining why some people think that HIV and AIDS are not always connected. I watched it and was shocked, for one, that there are so many false positive HIV tests. The tests themselves are pretty inaccurate.

deelam, first, thank you for the info about "House of Numbers". I'll check it out, and see if I can order it for our collection. To reinforce and then expand on your comment, there are (well, probably were) several reasons to question whether HIV was the causative agent of AIDS, in the early days. When a disease causes immunodeficiency, it becomes difficult to distinguish between the primary and secondary infections. As humans are parasitized by many viruses and other microorganisms, it is often hard to tell which came first, the chicken or the egg. I was surprised to learn that Peter Duesberg continues to support this hypothesis. I thought he gave up years ago.

On the subject of HIV tests, there are false positives with the ELISA-based tests (those based on antibody production). An ELISA positive test should always be followed by a Western blot assay. Western blots are exceptionally accurate, and will rule out most, if not all, false positives.

I have always wondered what happened to the woman involved in the "Alive and Well" project. I did not know about that project, but I knew of her from several news articles. I look forward to including all of this in my next lecture on HIV.

Archived