IGNORED

Jessa, Ben and Spurgeon Part Seven

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, Snickles said:

But it sounds like you still measured the things you halved and the replacements.  Still a formula, just a tweaked formula.  I'm an experienced baker and love to tweak things, but I still always measure so I can know what I did for next time if it is really good or bad lol.

Yes! It's definitely still a formula, but the point was that I don't think recipes have to be followed exactly (ingredients wise) unless you don't know what you're doing. 

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:53 PM, actuallyjessica said:

The reason I think they aren't spotted wearing pants as everyday wear outside of the house is not because they're convicted to wear only skirts (because we've seen them all in pants, at one time or another), but because they want to project a holier than thou image... Which leads to me to believe there are some sort of levels of IBLP, where the "holier" ones look down on those who don't have the same "convictions" as others. And I do think there can be a correlation in dress code to this.

I fully believe this to be the case between the Bates sisters.

Michael (ankle length skirts), who seemingly looks down on her little sister Erin, (knee length skirts), and they look down on their little sister, Alyssa (pants wearer).

I'm sure there is also something similar for courtship standards "we front hugged while courting" "we didn't hold hands until engagement" "we didn't even see each other until the wedding day"

I hope this is being conveyed correctly - I've been awake for 30 hours.

You forgot the most pure one, "we never even met before we got married."

51 minutes ago, anotherone said:

Post count! "Never met before getting married". 

1 hour ago, anotherone said:

Oh no, there's purer (or not) ...

I'm gettin' married to you baby and I don't even know your name

Sorry, Alan Jackson ...

I detest pretty much everything about Ben and Jessa--just a look at their faces and I want to smack them--but I can't snark on her cooking. She reminds me (in that regard only!) of myself at that age--I was raised on crap, never had fresh food (age 20 and I had to ask the guy at the store what  a cucumber was) and spent a lot of time trying out "recipes" that were probably just as bad/mediocre as what she is doing. At least she is trying to cook actual food.

That said, everything else about this couple sucks big time.

2 hours ago, patsymae said:

I detest pretty much everything about Ben and Jessa--just a look at their faces and I want to smack them--but I can't snark on her cooking. She reminds me (in that regard only!) of myself at that age--I was raised on crap, never had fresh food (age 20 and I had to ask the guy at the store what  a cucumber was) and spent a lot of time trying out "recipes" that were probably just as bad/mediocre as what she is doing. At least she is trying to cook actual food.

What I don't get is.....if you (Jessa) are kinda new at something and just learning, then why oh why make a video and put it out there for all to see.  At least be a little self deprecating and laugh at yourself.  Who is she trying to teach here???  It's such a lame attempt.  What??   

The thing is, this latest attempt isn't really that bad, it's just sorta OK.  Nothing special! So why show it?  What is her reasoning?  I don't get it!!

15 hours ago, patsymae said:

I also was a terrible cook until my mid thirties. I was also raised on instant foods and my attempts at cooking from scratch weren't good for many years. I give Jessa props for trying and maybe she shares this stuff because she truly is proud of her made meals. And probably also because this family shares everything anyways :P 

15 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

What I don't get is.....if you (Jessa) are kinda new at something and just learning, then why oh why make a video and put it out there for all to see.  At least be a little self deprecating and laugh at yourself.  Who is she trying to teach here???  It's such a lame attempt.  What??   

The thing is, this latest attempt isn't really that bad, it's just sorta OK.  Nothing special! So why show it?  What is her reasoning?  I don't get it!!

The same reason that I post a picture when I make something new from scratch? Because I'm proud of myself for trying something new and want my friends to see what I made in case anyone wants the recipe. I do agree that a video is a little much, but why does anyone post anything on social media? It's to share a little (or in the Duggar case, a big) part of their lives with people you... Well, in my case, it's people I know on my Facebook, whereas this was created for many to see.

I do understand those feelings of pride.  I get it.  The big difference here is,  sharing with your friends vs. sharing with the public at large.  The duggars don't seem to understand the difference.   Which is probably a boundary issue.   I know....shocking!  The duggars have boundary issues!!  

Spoiler

Because it is a pretty common thing to do now? Someone on my FB page just posted a video explaining how she got her child to blow paint with a straw and she acted like she was doing the most amazing thing ever and like she is the first person to come up with this idea.  :roll: And she didn't make this private, she seems to be hoping people will share the video. 

This really isn't a Duggar thing, it seems like lots of people are posting pictures and videos of mediocre shit acting like they did something grand. 

Bin & Jessa know they have a fairly sizable fundy following as well as haters.  They did the video because they think it's what people want to see.  Jessa has been conditioned her whole life to think that people want to see how they live and that turns into $$$    They're both just so dense to fact that they are actually quite boring.  

What I don't get is.....if you (Jessa) are kinda new at something and just learning, then why oh why make a video and put it out there for all to see.

I think it's at least partly a generational thing. A lot of Jessa's peers use social media that way too.

16 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

Because she thinks she is the best at everything...Daddy told her so. I actually believe that Jessa thinks  the Food Network will see that clip and be calling to offer her a job. Cooking for Jesus, staring Jessa and Ben Seewald.

What's up with DFO adding that winky emoticon at the end of their caption on the "workout" photo as if their wisdom booklets don't totally teach them that winking is something sinful women do to communicate lustful intentions? As if. 

:CLINDOEIL:

So I know this is probably completely off topic but I was thinking about how back in 02/2015 we saw Jessa wearing an Uggs hat and how there were an assume consensus that the hat probably didn't come from a thrift store. Well the last couple of weeks I been in and out of Duggar land with doing car shopping, ale trail, flying out of the airport, and wedding related things so I gone into a couple of the thrift stores. Maybe it's a timing thing or stupid luck but I the last couple of trips I have couple across a shit tons of luxury clothing items ( couch bags, true religion jeans, 7 jeans (a brand) with tags still on, and of course Uggs boots). So right now I wouldn't be surprised if they actually still hold true the thrift store shopping for clothes mantra. Hell, the thrift stores I went into in the area were better the richest area in Michigan's goodwill. 

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think it's at least partly a generational thing. A lot of Jessa's peers use social media that way too.

Agreed. My nieces post videos that are just as...un-noteworthy. It's just what people in that age range do. They just automatically share everything that's going on in their lives, whether they have 5 followers or 50,000. Whether it's actually interesting or not.

I guess we all know what field trip we'll all be joining the Duggarlings on on one of the upcoming future episodes. Put on your modest bathing attire, folks. We're going on a cruise...in pairs...will these be same sex pairs since the whole opposite sex can't touch thing or is the same sex thing breaking a rule or...I'm sure Gothard has a pamphlet for my confused sinner brain. (Re: Jessa's newest IG post) 

5 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I guess we all know what field trip we'll all be joining the Duggarlings on on one of the upcoming future episodes. Put on your modest bathing attire, folks. We're going on a cruise...in pairs...will these be same sex pairs since the whole opposite sex can't touch thing or is the same sex thing breaking a rule or...I'm sure Gothard has a pamphlet for my confused sinner brain. (Re: Jessa's newest IG post) 

I wonder if nthat's where the graduation photo was taken

15 hours ago, kjmackin said:

So I know this is probably completely off topic but I was thinking about how back in 02/2015 we saw Jessa wearing an Uggs hat and how there were an assume consensus that the hat probably didn't come from a thrift store. Well the last couple of weeks I been in and out of Duggar land with doing car shopping, ale trail, flying out of the airport, and wedding related things so I gone into a couple of the thrift stores. Maybe it's a timing thing or stupid luck but I the last couple of trips I have couple across a shit tons of luxury clothing items ( couch bags, true religion jeans, 7 jeans (a brand) with tags still on, and of course Uggs boots). So right now I wouldn't be surprised if they actually still hold true the thrift store shopping for clothes mantra. Hell, the thrift stores I went into in the area were better the richest area in Michigan's goodwill. 

A friend who is an experienced thrift store shopper has told me that the Goodwill clothes donations made in one area are always shuffled to another area to reduce the chance that people in the same neighborhood that donated the clothes will find their neighbors wearing their donations.   She has located the "best" Goodwill in her area and gets great stuff there.

I am still looking for the local Goodwill that gets all the top-line clothes from our area.  Maybe the answer is they ship them all to Arkansas. ;) 

On 7/2/2016 at 11:26 AM, formergothardite said:

Because it is a pretty common thing to do now? Someone on my FB page just posted a video explaining how she got her child to blow paint with a straw and she acted like she was doing the most amazing thing ever and like she is the first person to come up with this idea.  :roll: And she didn't make this private, she seems to be hoping people will share the video. 

This really isn't a Duggar thing, it seems like lots of people are posting pictures and videos of mediocre shit acting like they did something grand. 

Which is why I do not have a FB account, instagram, twitter, none of it. Got tired of all that foolishness and wasn't going to be "liking" everything.

7 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

A friend who is an experienced thrift store shopper has told me that the Goodwill clothes donations made in one area are always shuffled to another area to reduce the chance that people in the same neighborhood that donated the clothes will find their neighbors wearing their donations.   She has located the "best" Goodwill in her area and gets great stuff there.

I am still looking for the local Goodwill that gets all the top-line clothes from our area.  Maybe the answer is they ship them all to Arkansas.  

I usually shop around to different thrift stores to a point it would be a whole day event. But at least these 2 locations  I visited in Fayetteville (although one might have  been considered to have been in Springdale though) were surprisingly had more high end clothing then what I expected. Like an oddly high amount compared to the ones I gone to in areas know for being rich. I plan on checking out one that is in Rogers ( located by a Walmart, Golden Corral, and might have appeared on the show actually) after I attended a meeting with the local miata club in a couple of weeks. Also the one in Siloam Springs have a great Goodwill if you are shopping for household things. 

I also stumbled on and continue watching this mental case of a family for places that might pop up for things to visit that looks interesting... or at least that was what started it & what I tell my husband. So far only gone to a small handful but I discovered my favorite pizza place & a cheap place to fly out of. But now I can't get over my morbid fascination of the Duggar's & the Bates family now. I Really need find a reason to justify my watching of  the Bates.

Oh also if you into books, beer, and artwork there is some amazing places to visit around Fayetteville. You just got to be careful and not accidentally end up looking at cars on Josh's new lot. Thank you freejinger for alerting me before I called on one. 

On 7/1/2016 at 5:46 PM, patsymae said:

I can.  If your going to hold up your family as a model for others and talk about how women and men are just made differently and must perform different roles, and talk about the importance of being a wife and a mother over any sort of other education/jobs for your daughters, your daughters better be able to cook.  Their education has been incredibly lackluster, and part of that is because women only need to be able to be homemakers in their mind.  However, none of their daughters seem to be able to cook good meals from scratch, despite apparently being trained from birth to do so.  I also had trouble cooking when I first lived on my own, however, my entire upbringing hadn't focused on being able to cook meals.  

On 7/3/2016 at 5:05 PM, EmCatlyn said:

I am still looking for the local Goodwill that gets all the top-line clothes from our area.  Maybe the answer is they ship them all to Arkansas. ;) 

My local Goodwill has  a special section at the front of the store with the higher prices/topline brand stuff.  I always make a beeline for it.  I've gotten some good brands that way--Banana Republic, Talbots, J Crew etc.  If the stuff doesn't sell in a week or so it gets marked down and moved to main part of the store. I assumed all Goodwills were like that.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:26 AM, formergothardite said:

It's called social media.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived