IGNORED

Counting On - Part 6: Benye Wants to Give the Gospel to the "Inner City"

choralcrusader8613

19 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

@EmCatlynThe critical thinking types, the "question asking types" are the minority.  (Us)

There are 1000's of leghumpers who STILL think they are golden.

I saw the taking down/shaming of the Bear Cabin, but I have missed any taking down over the restaurant in which they were filmed.  I hope they got the same feedback.

Yes, be we keep saying that people are bored, that the show is dying... And clearly it isn't.  The leghumpers are still a sizeable audience and TLC seems to be getting something out of the show. Even with all the criticism and the sponsors leaving, TLC is making money or they would end the show.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe they don't come out fancy, albeit there are different colors. I like chips made from blue potatoes. But when making them, there's the usual butter, loaded like with bacon, cheese and sour cream. My husband does them with real butter, sour cream and goat cheese plus salt/pepper/garlic. But how much you break them down..there's smashed with the skin, mashed without the skin/ Fancy would be more potato puree', doing them in gnocchi, done in 'pearls" with agar agar,  You can also use piping bags to make them into pretty shapes on the plate.

Real potatoes rather than flakes out of a box is probably fancy to them. Or one that looks like Jesus' head!

I'll definitely look out for a Jesus head, just hope there's not a JB or M one in there.

21 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Mr. Wolf went to the nursery today and came home with ten different kinds of potato seedlings. Wonder if any of them are fancy. I'll let you know when they're grown. Erm, what do fancy potatoes look like?

fancypotato.jpg_zpsnvvj3xdk.png

By far the best episode of this season is the one with the rapper Flame and his crew.  It was refreshing to watch three-dimensional people with actual personalities who were doing interesting things on screen.  Their presence really brought life to the proceedings and was such a stark contrast to the Duggars who seem more controlled.  I agree with commenters on the previous thread who  

@emcatlyn I think you're right, TLC has to be profiting form this somehow, they aren't keeping the show on the air simply because they like the Duggar family. But I think it will be interesting to see what happens to the show after this season is done airing, I have a feeling it will be renewed, but I'm less confident about that than I would have been a year and half ago.  

34 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Yes, be we keep saying that people are bored, that the show is dying... And clearly it isn't.  The leghumpers are still a sizeable audience and TLC seems to be getting something out of the show. Even with all the criticism and the sponsors leaving, TLC is making money or they would end the show.

A cable show doesn't need a large audience to be considered a "success." A cable show with 3 million viewers per week is considered a hit, while even 20 years ago, a network show had to get 20 million viewers just to be considered semi-profitable. While these lowered standards helps keep some really good shows on the air that wouldn't be able to make it on network TV, it also means that horrible and frankly immoral shows like Counting On will also be considered profitable. The bulk of America may hate the Duggars, but as long as there are at least 1.3 million leg humpers watching the show, it will continue.

I agree with commenters on the previous thread who said that Ben seemed more animated in Flame's company.  He was clearly inspired by those guys.  Unfortunately, last night's episode went back to being staged and boring.  I have a feeling that when these young ladies spend time together, they have more to talk about than just marriage and babies.  It seems like they only talk about those topics for the show because it's safe, impersonal and fits with their brand. It's like they want to maintain this image of sanctity and perfection and for that reason, we will NEVER see a profound and genuine conversation among them while the camera's are rolling.  Like Jana, I am really sick and tired of all the marriage and courting questions.  That sh*t is so tedious and I feel bad for her that she's subjected to it constantly.  It clearly makes her uncomfortable and I always cringe when the subject comes up - which is like 80% of the time.  Give it a rest already TLC!  Lastly, the whole dinner scene where they didn't know what any of the food was on the menu seemed fake as f*ck.  Like someone said upthread, it was like they were trying to give off a phony image of being ignorant little fundie country bumpkins who never had no fancy foods before.  Oh puuuhlease ... These people have travelled the U.S. and the world.  You can't tell me they can't figure out the foods on a darn menu.        

3 hours ago, patsymae said:

So if it's Pizza Hut, and not a "fancy" restaurant, its okay for him to sit on the floor if thats make him not shout? What about the other people in the place who may not want to have to walk around some special snowflake who is sitting on the floor for a while? What about servers who have to work very hard to serve other customers while negotiating your child on the floor? Sorry about his hearing problem, but his hearing problem and your frustration with it is no way making it okay to act that way in a restaurant. Can't take hime to "fancy" restaurants? Don't take him to "regular" restaurants.

Kids, and occasionally rambunctious kids, are a part of real life. While yes, it's best to be considerate of others and contain screaming/acting out, a restaurant is there for the patrons. They are the paying customers, even if they need to be a little "special" on occasion.

When I was pregnant with my second, my husband and I lived abroad with our almost two year old. While he worked, I had no one else to help, different language, no car. So going out was essential to my sanity, and yes we had tantrums in restaurants. We would leave if it got too much, but generally, everyone was pretty nice about it and often been through it themselves. It's a part of real life. We aren't special snowflakes because we want to expose our children to places and they don't always fall in line with what the servers want.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Mr. Wolf went to the nursery today and came home with ten different kinds of potato seedlings. Wonder if any of them are fancy. I'll let you know when they're grown. Erm, what do fancy potatoes look like?

Fancy potatoes are purple. Or at least, I think the fanciest potatoes I've ever grown were the purple ones. Plus bonus, if you serve them to company you can claim they're purple because you planted them too close to your blueberry patch.

Maybe Jana said she didn't want an office type worker because of Josh's history as an office type (and Anna stuck at home unaware of his transgressions)....and that went so wonderfully.

So I saw the episode. That was a waste of my time. So they went to Branson and didn't do anything anyone at Branson normally does? 

I swear every answer they give about guys/dating is like out of a fundy book. They have no idea how to cultivate a relationship. Oh and Jana, just because you work in an office doesn't mean you aren't a hard worker. 

I"ll be damned if I go on a "girls weekend" and I have to give someone a pedicure, with the supplies I have hauled from home. Plus, who wants to go on a girls weekend with girls you spend time with 24/7. 

Didn't they already do a fear of heights episode when Jinger or something was afraid to walk on the glass at a building in Chicago? Wedges and heels are the same thing? How could they set their sisters up on a blind date when they are not allowed to date and can only court?

I have been more enthused waiting for my turn at the dentist office than they were at the "fancy" dinner. 

Anyone think is was odd when Jana was talking to Joy about a girls day in CA? Joy seemed either upset or like she didn't understand and then suddenly she was super happy Joy.

17 hours ago, Blueruin said:

Was anyone else a little Ickes out by Anna talking about her diet? It's bad enough what she's been through, clearly she or her in laws are pressing her to become someone else to keep Joshlys attention. :kitty-cussing:

I'm more icked out by her pestering Josh's victim, Joy, about men she might be interested in. Just inappropriate.

3 hours ago, patsymae said:

Got to admit I'm flummoxed. Why is "chasing cows" a thing? Is that like the terrify-cat fun thing they do, or something else? Jana said it's not the first time they chased cows. Why? What kind of people stop what they are doing to go chase cows? Am I missing something here?

When cows escape from their pasture and end up on roads used by cars very bad things happen when said cars collide with said escaped cows. Cows are big, when hit by a car they tend to flip up and through the front windshield of the car, so herding a cow off a public road is not a bad thing but cows escape through broken fences and unless the rancher is alerted to the problem the fence doesn't get fixed and the cows will keep escaping until the fence gets fixed. 

I've only chased a steer back into a pasture once and that was many moons ago and that was because I watched the idiots leave a gate open enabling the steer to escape. I have, however, been chased out of a pasture by a bull when I was on an archeological dig once and at my great grandpa's farm more than once.

I would like to think that Jana wants a guy with dirt under his nails that she can work beside because she has seen her parents, Jill and Derrick and Jessa and Ben going through their marriages and she wants something different. I can see Jana working in the barn next to her husband pitching hay, working on the tractor etc. Not because she doesn't want to be away from him all day or she can't get a job. She is looking for not only a husband, but a life partner. Someone she can build (literally) a home and life with. Someone that she is equal to and someone she can work WITH. I want so badly for Jana to be happy.

4 hours ago, patsymae said:

My 3 year old is a bit hyperactive and I can't really take him to fancy restaurants yet. We've been out for dinner at Pizza hut and local pizzerias and sometimes he sits quietly and eats, sometimes he wants to leave or sit on the floor. He doesn't scream and shout that often though, and if he does, I tell him that we can't stay if he's being very loud. But if he wants to sit on the floor for a while, I let him. He has no hearing on one ear and poor hearing on the other, which he is getting surgery for, but his language is quite delayed and it creates a lot of frustration for him so I pick my fights."

So if it's Pizza Hut, and not a "fancy" restaurant, its okay for him to sit on the floor if thats make him not shout? What about the other people in the place who may not want to have to walk around some special snowflake who is sitting on the floor for a while? What about servers who have to work very hard to serve other customers while negotiating your child on the floor? Sorry about his hearing problem, but his hearing problem and your frustration with it is no way making it okay to act that way in a restaurant. Can't take hime to "fancy" restaurants? Don't take him to "regular" restaurants.

Wow. Where did I state that people have to walk around him? If he's sitting under the table , who is he bothering? Of course I never let anyone else be bothered by him. But if you have a problem with my child sitting under our table at pizza hut, not disturbing anyone, I find your reaction a but exaggerated. Have you even experienced a child with adhd or autism for example? Or are they just brats as well? 

1 hour ago, sndral said:

When cows escape from their pasture and end up on roads used by cars very bad things happen when said cars collide with said escaped cows. Cows are big, when hit by a car they tend to flip up and through the front windshield of the car, so herding a cow off a public road is not a bad thing but cows escape through broken fences and unless the rancher is alerted to the problem the fence doesn't get fixed and the cows will keep escaping until the fence gets fixed. 

I've only chased a steer back into a pasture once and that was many moons ago and that was because I watched the idiots leave a gate open enabling the steer to escape. I have, however, been chased out of a pasture by a bull when I was on an archeological dig once and at my great grandpa's farm more than once.

This. Also, cows are not particularly intelligent. Bless their hearts. They don't cross the roadon their own. So yes, when you live in the parts of the country where the cattle roam, it's not unheard of. But as mentioned upthread? if you know the owner of the cattle it is more common to call them to collect their own beasts.

2 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Kids, and occasionally rambunctious kids, are a part of real life. While yes, it's best to be considerate of others and contain screaming/acting out, a restaurant is there for the patrons. They are the paying customers, even if they need to be a little "special" on occasion.

When I was pregnant with my second, my husband and I lived abroad with our almost two year old. While he worked, I had no one else to help, different language, no car. So going out was essential to my sanity, and yes we had tantrums in restaurants. We would leave if it got too much, but generally, everyone was pretty nice about it and often been through it themselves. It's a part of real life. We aren't special snowflakes because we want to expose our children to places and they don't always fall in line with what the servers want.

Screaming kids may be a part of your life, but your screaming kids don't  need to be a part of other's lives. Taking the kid out and ruining everybody else's time may have been important to you -- So going out was "essential to my sanity, and yes we had tantrums in restaurants" -- yes you are special snowflakes in your own mind.  '

We aren't special snowflakes because we want to expose our children to places and they don't always fall in line with what the servers want.

Yup, you are. And the the idea that you are teaching your children that they can be rude because "they don't always fall in line with what the servers want"

WTF?

4 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Is there a corporate link to TLC and People magazine?  Is the same corporation profiting from the cover stories as from the show? Is there a some place to find the listing for profitable People covers?   I'm just wondering whether there's a bigger picture than just viewing stats.

The only other time i have heard of Branson Missouri...(I live in Australia)

tumblr_ldn6p354O71qex36wo1_500.jpg

12 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

You can buy bead bracelets.....you can buy them at Whole Foods, among other places. If that is what you mean, or maybe not. I am not Italian, lol. Someone mentioned a smaller Christian bracelet and I used to see them but not worn but carried for "prayer on the run". 

Rosary beads, prayer beads, and bead bracelets are three different things,

12 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Yeah, but there were a whole lot of blue-collar working folks where I grew up that could swing a "nice" restaurant a couple times a year for special events (think current USD prices of maybe $15/entree, and ethnic specialties tend to be cheaper, at least here in the DC area).  And cookbooks are readily available at libraries for inspirational reading, and even for a little fussing at home, even if you are on a tightish budget.  (Never took French in school, but can puzzle out quite a bit as a result of lots of fun reading for years.)

I bet the Duggars think French is too hey hey hey for them!

And you'd think womer who are home all the time would cook more creatively just out of boredom.

7 hours ago, nomoxian said:

When I was around 13 or 14, there was a guy in the neighbourhood park who would flash people by opening a long coat. When we got off of summer break and the teacher asked us if anything interesting had happened, one kid piped up about the flasher. The rest of the class was like "I saw him too!" and "OMG me too!" He would flash right by the kids play equipment which was also next to the community swimming pool. 

Teachers must get used to surprises from kids!

14 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

Was it Jessa who gave the sisterly advice about not asking what job a potential suitor works at? If so, maybe she wants her sisters to marry a do-nothing like Bin.

I think Jessa met Bin, thought "Yay, this person has a penis and is not completely creepy," and decided to marry him. She wanted a man (remember when she used to refer to him as "my man"?) and she wanted to escape.

Who cares that he has no plans of doing any real full-time paid work?

Jessa might have taken asking if he works as a shot at Ben. 

Regarding the googling of restaurant menus prior to the visit...  I only dine outside of the home maybe 2-3 times per month, if that, and while it has crossed my mind, I just don't care to see the menu prior to actually sitting at the table.  To me, the expectation and curiosity of what the restaurant offers is part of the experience.  I actually get a bit annoyed when someone starts talking to me about what they serve and asks what I plan to order way in advance of arrival.  I'm not one to take forever to make a decision either, I'm normally ready as soon as the wait staff ask for the order.   I can completely understand food-allergies or dietary requirements, or if there is a time issue involved, or just plain curiosity, but I guess I am old school.  As I have been writing this, I do recall once when I did check a menu only to find out pricing due to budget issues.  

Regarding fussy small children at restaurants, my nephews (now spoiled teenagers) were notorious for causing scenes at restaurants.  I'm pretty sure they "learned" it for attention.  Anyway, my BIL came up with a trick that worked for a while.  Since he felt they acted out due to suddenly being super hungry and rather than teach them patience, he would ask the host to put in for an order of some sort of kid friendly appetizer that could be made immediately so it would be served shortly after being seated.  This only worked for the beginning of the experience, by the time the adult's main entrees were served the kids were usually screaming to leave, as they had been completely fed by that point due to the greasy appetizers.  Sometimes the incentive of a dessert made them behave but they caught on the that and started demanding dessert while the adults had the main course.  It was a mess.  Now they tease them as teenagers for their food choice.  We went on a cruise and all they wanted to order from the menu was nachos, chicken fingers and quesadillas...seriously.  When the 16 year old decided one night to "try" a steak, it was "Ah you're going to have adult food for once!"...  SMH

7 hours ago, socalrules said:

So I saw the episode. That was a waste of my time. So they went to Branson and didn't do anything anyone at Branson normally does? 

I swear every answer they give about guys/dating is like out of a fundy book. They have no idea how to cultivate a relationship. Oh and Jana, just because you work in an office doesn't mean you aren't a hard worker. 

I"ll be damned if I go on a "girls weekend" and I have to give someone a pedicure, with the supplies I have hauled from home. Plus, who wants to go on a girls weekend with girls you spend time with 24/7. 

Didn't they already do a fear of heights episode when Jinger or something was afraid to walk on the glass at a building in Chicago? Wedges and heels are the same thing? How could they set their sisters up on a blind date when they are not allowed to date and can only court?

I have been more enthused waiting for my turn at the dentist office than they were at the "fancy" dinner. 

Anyone think is was odd when Jana was talking to Joy about a girls day in CA? Joy seemed either upset or like she didn't understand and then suddenly she was super happy Joy.

I think they are having a hard time wrangling Joy to be happy during this show. She seems the most unkool aided person and looks like she is always in need to be reigned in.

It was almost like the cult had to tame her endlessly. I love what you said about why would they need to do a girls trip with girls they see 24/7

And Jessa and Anna were still amazingly annoying in this episode then ever.  What with Jessa obnoxious attitude Anna being stupid even more than usual. 

I can't see any more "girls" trips 

and I call B&J off to scaryCA weeks ago :D

I don't see any new story lines they could do next season 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • SpoonfulOSugar unpinned this topic

Archived