IGNORED

Counting On - Part 6: Benye Wants to Give the Gospel to the "Inner City"

choralcrusader8613

Well, Ben showed something all right, but it wasn't any rapping abilities that I could see. Also featured in the episode and the previous thread:

Ben thinks he is a white savior for the inner city (he's really, really not).

Even Jessa couldn't keep from laughing at Ben's terrible rapping.

Flame can't take negative comments, and aside from Anna, Ben and Jessa, no interviewed Duggar could say what hip-hop or rap even was.

We needed to see yet another video chat between Jill and the rest of the family.

Next week: the girls' getaway that gets awkward because of Josh (even though he isn't there). Also, possibility of blind dates? This can only go well.

And we begin to count on...another awkward and cringeworthy episode. :P

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, moving to the inner city could potentially save Ben and Jessa from a lot of things they don't want to be saved from.

@Petrel said:

I think it's like the email scammers.  They're looking for gullible people, so they don't craft their emails convincingly because then they might end up wasting time with someone who has very low odds of sending cash.  If they just want casual sex, spam women with dick pics.  Those who don't want casual sex will be annoyed, but you want to filter them out anyway.  The girls who are into random dick pics are your target audience. 

Yeah... NO. I know plenty of women who enjoy casual sex, myself included. Exactly zero of them like getting unsolicited dick picks.

39 minutes ago, JillyO said:

@Petrel said:

Yeah... NO. I know plenty of women who enjoy casual sex, myself included. Exactly zero of them like getting unsolicited dick picks.

I polled the women I work with in retail. There are about 35 of us. Most are under 25. 4 are openly LGBT. 3 are in their mid to late 30s (me being one of them). 4 are married. 10 are in relationships. 

Only 6 have never recieved an unsolicited dick pic. 2 are lesbians. 

Its pretty sad. 

6 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Well, Ben showed something all right, but it wasn't any rapping abilities that I could see. Also featured in the episode and the previous thread:

Ben thinks he is a white savior for the inner city (he's really, really not).

Even Jessa couldn't keep from laughing at Ben's terrible rapping.

Flame can't take negative comments, and aside from Anna, Ben and Jessa, no interviewed Duggar could say what hip-hop or rap even was.

We needed to see yet another video chat between Jill and the rest of the family.

Next week: the girls' getaway that gets awkward because of Josh (even though he isn't there). Also, possibility of blind dates? This can only go well.

And we begin to count on...another awkward and cringeworthy episode. :P

I can't even imagine them on a road trip not being awkward. The "girls" act like they are total strangers to each other. Their interactions seem so forced.

On the video chat, Jinger was definitely not interested in talking to Jill. And Anna was phoning it in. Joy is the only one that seemed to want to do the chat.

How can they have blind dates? 

ETA: Flame's friend obviously doesn't know about the rules that the Duggar's follow because he asked Jessa to "make Ben" go and rap in the room. Jessa couldn't possibly do that or she'd go straight to hell!

Someone mention in the last thread about how little time TLC seems to be investing in Jill and Derrick, and I'm starting to think that that's entirely the Dillard's choice (assuming a while episode focused solely on them isn't in the works). I think those two were genuinely emotionally devastated by the fallout of the scandals, and for Jill especially, it must have felt like a slap in the face to go from beloved good girl of the Duggars clan to having every thing she says and does dissected and criticized. It wouldn't surprise me if she and Derrick agreed to be part of the show only because it would open up a whole new line of speculation if they stayed out of it, but made it so their involvement was kept at a minimum. They could play up how oh so dangerous Cintril Amurkah is to provide an excuse as to why the cameras aren't there all the time.

@anotherone

Her best relationship is with the camera.  There she is comfortable and has a personality.

I don't even think that's the case. Jill is the one who is most comfortable in front of the camera. To me, Jessa comes across very affected, like she is trying way too hard. The times when she shows a personality are when she's having a real moment with her family--her questioning JD about the house; and way back when they were taking down a dead tree and she said, "Boys make everything complicated" when her brothers were doing a half-assed job at it. Or when she was so mad that she forgot her tv face, like in the Megyn Kelly interview or when as a teen a producer asked her what she would say to people who said her parents were overprotective and she said, "Get over it."

42 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I don't even think that's the case. Jill is the one who is most comfortable in front of the camera. To me, Jessa comes across very affected, like she is trying way too hard. The times when she shows a personality are when she's having a real moment with her family--her questioning JD about the house; and way back when they were taking down a dead tree and she said, "Boys make everything complicated" when her brothers were doing a half-assed job at it. Or when she was so mad that she forgot her tv face, like in the Megyn Kelly interview or when as a teen a producer asked her what she would say to people who said her parents were overprotective and she said, "Get over it."

Where is the clip where Jessa said "get over  it"?  As far as the title that is  one pure joke - it's basically the same show .  The same people get it.   Unless they have one whole hour of Just Jill in scary CA then I don't believe for a second it's a new show.  Jill is barely in it.  

I think Jessa was less affected by the scandal as Jill was because Jill is the golden child.  Unless Jessa hides her feelings which I bet she does behind those glares and stupid laughs she does.  Her line to MK about we are still a family we don't need a show - was purely a pregnancy moment I am sure unless she believed it in that moment. 

She is playing a part - it was evident with Jana during the Molly scenes- she wants to come across as more mature and evolved.  But the girl can't.  plain and simple 

and if her and Ben do go off to the inner city - I really don't want to see that train wreck.  lol   ok _ I do but I would ROFL all the way 

I'm still lol'ing at the thought of Ben trying to preach to anyone in an inner city. 

Actually, I lol at the idea of ANYONE trying to preach to others without real life experiences or hardships they've overcome. And no, taking cold showers does't count.

34 minutes ago, nst said:

Where is the clip where Jessa said "get over  it"?

I wouldn't even know how to look. She was a teen at the time, that's all I remember as far as timing.

4 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I wouldn't even know how to look. She was a teen at the time, that's all I remember as far as timing.

It's screencapped on a fundie snark tumblr here: http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/post/24341786529/such-a-delightful-young-lady-dont-be-such-a

The episode listed in the tags is "Duggars Do New York".

12 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm still lol'ing at the thought of Ben trying to preach to anyone in an inner city. 

Actually, I lol at the idea of ANYONE trying to preach to others without real life experiences or hardships they've overcome. And no, taking cold showers does't count.

I would watch him do that. Maybe he would come to awareness! 

The thing that angers me most about Ben and Jessa and Jill and Derrick is their arrogance in what they believe. I'm a Catholic, but I've never ever liked the idea of missionary work or trying to convert someone. My opinion is who knows what's the right way? I believe that for me, Catholicism is the way, but I don't have the right to tell anyone that any other faith or no faith isn't the right way! 

Like Harley Quinn said, Ben isn't taking into account any other kind of viewpoint or life experience. He has had a cushy life. 

5 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

It's screencapped on a fundie snark tumblr here: http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/post/24341786529/such-a-delightful-young-lady-dont-be-such-a

The episode listed in the tags is "Duggars Do New York".

Oh, god. I'm watching the episode now, looking for that clip, and I had forgotten that Michelle handed their cab driver a family picture. Here's the clip:

Jessa's part start at around 2:45.

I thought that when they filmed on location there had to be approval and permits -so those "random" cops showing up and the woman officer asking Michelle that question was scripted :D

Thanks to those who found the clip of Jackson dancing.

Jana going over and trying to figure out what he was doing was quite sad. JB's response wasn't great either but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Didn't Jill talk about how Izzy dances in church? I wonder what JB thinks of that.

Oh...also in the clip there was a bubble that popped up saying they haven't purchased new baby gear since 1988. I really hope that doesn't mean they were using the same old car seats. 

33 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

. I really hope that doesn't mean they were using the same old car seats. 

You know it does. 

1 hour ago, lascuba said:

Oh, god. I'm watching the episode now, looking for that clip, and I had forgotten that Michelle handed their cab driver a family picture. Here's the clip:

Why did JB say it was good to see an honest cab driver? Are they not usually honest people? I don't understand why he was impressed by that, or how he came to the conclusion. Weird. 

1 hour ago, iweartanktops said:

Why did JB say it was good to see an honest cab driver? Are they not usually honest people? I don't understand why he was impressed by that, or how he came to the conclusion. Weird. 

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_o5hx8rbCX01qietwz_500.gif

Raunchy? And the children ignore such? How/what would these wholesome kids know about raunchy?

Oh, that's right, Josh was their ringleader.

7 hours ago, devoe364 said:

I polled the women I work with in retail. There are about 35 of us. Most are under 25. 4 are openly LGBT. 3 are in their mid to late 30s (me being one of them). 4 are married. 10 are in relationships. 

Only 6 have never recieved an unsolicited dick pic. 2 are lesbians. 

Its pretty sad. 

I'm 28 and om the younger side of my classmates and friends. Only time i gor unsolicited dick pics was playing Chat Roulette. But unsolicited might not be the right term for those, we played Chat Roulette in college to get those rando dick shots, every one was a shot in one of our drinking games

3 hours ago, lascuba said:

I think the taxi driver was very gracious about the picture. I hope they gave him a good tip. After all, he was an honest taxi driver.

25 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think the taxi driver was very gracious about the picture. I hope they gave him a good tip. After all, he was an honest taxi driver.

Probably one of those fake $10 bills with scripture on it.

1 minute ago, ClaraOswin said:

The Duggars don't strike me as good tippers. Or tippers at all, really.

"Here's a tip: Next time, accept Jesus Christ as your Personal Lord and Savior."

Hey, they gave him the photograph... wasn't that tip enough?

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Thanks to those who found the clip of Jackson dancing.

Jana going over and trying to figure out what he was doing was quite sad. JB's response wasn't great either but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Didn't Jill talk about how Izzy dances in church? I wonder what JB thinks of that.

Oh...also in the clip there was a bubble that popped up saying they haven't purchased new baby gear since 1988. I really hope that doesn't mean they were using the same old car seats. 

I think that just means they've only bought used gear. So used carseats.  Did you see mchelle oggling the car seat cover? (ugh, so not safe!!!!) But she really wanted it and was clearly trying to convince jbob of how she needed it, without actually asking. sad she can't just ask for the things she wants.  (though i'm glad he was too cheap to spring for it).  She seemed in awe of all the new baby stuff out- perhaps things had changed in the baby gear department in the 15 years or so since she was prepping for josh.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • SpoonfulOSugar unpinned this topic

Archived