IGNORED

Faith healing causing high infant mortality rate

unsafetydancer

Thank you, @onlyme! I don't know when I'll be able to get it, but now I can put it on my wishlist. :smile: 

The trouble is when you try to protect children with laws the parents holler religious freedom. Yet they have no issue trying to infringe on your rights and freedom.

I've never understood the whole "we believe only God should heal" concept.  If you believe He created all things, doesn't that include medical knowledge?

@smittykins, I've certainly always believed that "all things" includes medical knowledge. All the Christians I've ever known are fine with modern medical treatments, including the Christians I know who will lay their hands on a sick person and pray for miraculous healing. I don't suppose cults are interested in logical thinking.

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

I've never understood the whole "we believe only God should heal" concept.  If you believe He created all things, doesn't that include medical knowledge?

I've never understood it either. It seems to me the same logic should be applied to everything. I assume they brush their teeth, eat healthy foods, and get adequate sleep. 

My argument against faith healing is sure try it.  But God gave us medicine for a reason.  If we weren't supposed to use it why would we have the knowledge of it.  I've gotten some crap about Satan was once an angel too so it could be deception, but honestly people--medicine. 

I found this:

http://www.ktvb.com/mb/news/local/mother-says-daughters-case-not-faith-healing/153012643

Mariah Walton's (the young woman whose congential heart defect could have been easily fixed when she was young) mother and one of her sisters are publicly stating that they did not rely on prayer alone to heal Mariah when she was a child.

Quote:

"Wilson [Andra Wilson--Mariah's mom] says she is not a faith healer. While she does believe in the power of prayer, her approach to Mariah's health struggle was rooted in natural remedies.
'We used herbs and essential oils besides praying for her,' said Wilson."

" 'We took her to chiropractors and naturopaths and of course it didn't work,' said Wilson. 'It wasn't addressing the actual foundational problem.' "

"Even Andra admits that had she known how sick Mariah really was, she would've taken her to see a doctor.
'If we would've known that we would've taken Mariah to get surgery early on,' said Wilson."

I feel sick reading this. I can't help but wonder if a real medical doctor giving a routine pediatric checkup might have caught this heart defect. No idea if that could be true, but what if?!

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:11 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

@smittykins, I've certainly always believed that "all things" includes medical knowledge. All the Christians I've ever known are fine with modern medical treatments, including the Christians I know who will lay their hands on a sick person and pray for miraculous healing. I don't suppose cults are interested in logical thinking.

I agree.  At my church, when someone is very ill, or going into a surgery or treatment, we will have a hands-on prayer for them (but not a weird one, just everyone in a group around the ill person, putting their hand on the shoulder of the person in front of them).  We pray for healing, comfort & strength for the patient and family/friends, wisdom and steadiness for the surgeon, blessings for all of the medical staff, etc.  We also pray that God will give us strength and carry us through the grief, should things not turn out the way we want them to.  It's a very humbling and comforting experience.

I can't imagine being told I have to choose between my child's life and my/their spiritual mortality.

Archived