CTRLZero

We watched Trumbo last night.  Fascinating biographical sketch about the Hollywood Ten who were blacklisted in the 1940s-50s for ties to the Communist Party.  If you watch it, stick around to the credits for additional facts and real photos of the characters.

Here are a couple random things I was thinking as I watched the movie:

To fight communism (and probably other "isms") in the movie industry, there was an organization called the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals.  Alan Tudyk, one of the actors from the series Firefly, has the line [paraphrased]:  "So, now we have to fight the Alliance?!?"   Well, I thought it was funny and assumed they gave him that line on purpose.  (But what do I know.)

I paid money a while back to watch Hail, Caesar at a theater.  Can I please have my money back, ha ha.  This is the first movie I have watched where the audience stayed after the film ended to gather together and discuss what the heck we had just seen.  The scenes were stand-alone interesting (and it was fun trying to figure out the various tribute scenes), but it did not hang together.   The tie-in to Trumbo comes during a meeting of, I believe, the Hollywood Ten.  I can't believe I'm considering re-watching Hail, Caesar  (I'll fast-forward) to figure out if these were the same historical characters.

Archived