IGNORED

Josh hiding from the ebil media--part 15

Criscat

We need an email tree so that if someone posts on FJ about a Duggar sighting we all get emails to check FJ.  Is that too far? Maybe I'm just daydreaming about snow days in April :pb_lol:

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bethella said:

Small world- one of my second cousins is on Devious Maids too. I've only met her twice at family reunions but she's nice and normal. She does tend to figure fairly prominently in my "six degrees of Kevin Bacon"

Its funny how inevitable you have that one friend who you use for almost all your 6 degrees. i have 1 friend who is in with a former president, and know a couple of prime ministers so they almost always figure in ALL my 6 degrees. 

We're all so bored until Joshley shows up!

I've met Martina McBride (very pretty and very short), Paul Rudd (short), Eric Stonestreet (very nice) and Walter Cronkite (regal is the word that comes to mind).

Here's my contribution to the 'famous people' detour ;-)

Twenty-seven years ago I was in a bar in Bozeman, MT, with my future husband (we were both in grad school there), and Rob Lowe came in with a couple friends and sat at the table next to us. They sat and visited for a while until a gaggle of giggly girls approached him and tried to insert themselves. 

He was being very polite, but they weren't getting the message, so I said something like, "Hey girls, leave the guy alone - he just wants to hang with his friends". They could tell by looking at Rob (he gave me a head nod) that he agreed, and they got all embarrassed and went to a table in the other corner and stared the rest of the evening (at him with lust, at me with hatred, LOL). 

So, I got a head nod from Rob Lowe after rescuing him from groupies. I wonder if he'd remember it enough to be my most connected 6 degrees contact? Nah, not likely.

We never made it to the bar in nearby Livingston where Dennis Quaid and his band played. But I hear it's pretty common now to see celebrities in the general Bozeman area. Most Montanans are pretty good about leaving people alone.

Edited to add: I just realized who my highest connected 6 degrees person is. We have a friend who works with Tibetan immigrants and is personally acquainted with the Dalai Lama!

Josh Groban has a place on Orchas Island outside Washington State. The natives know when he's there & pretty much leave him alone. The vacationers have to be taught to be cool about it. Met him once. So damn adorable.

Here is my famous person story. Sorry that it will have to be pretty vague, but HIPPA ya know.....

An A Lister was drunk driving through our town. He got pulled over and arrested. While in jail, he wrapped his T Shirt around his neck and the bars of the cell. When he wasn't found quickly, he started yelling for help. He was brought into our ER just to be checked out. He was screaming and yelling "Do you know who I am?". I assured him I knew who he was and it made no difference to me. He continued to be an ass, screaming and yelling and telling everyone who he was. He threatened to sue all of us and made sure we knew he had the resources to do it. He wanted me to call his wife in New York so she could tell me who he was. I told him that was unnecessary. I knew who he was as did everyone within the ER. He was released back to the police without any injuries (except terminal stupidity) and went back to jail.

4 hours ago, AlysonRR said:

Here's my contribution to the 'famous people' detour ;-)

Twenty-seven years ago I was in a bar in Bozeman, MT, with my future husband (we were both in grad school there), and Rob Lowe came in with a couple friends and sat at the table next to us. They sat and visited for a while until a gaggle of giggly girls approached him and tried to insert themselves. 

He was being very polite, but they weren't getting the message, so I said something like, "Hey girls, leave the guy alone - he just wants to hang with his friends". They could tell by looking at Rob (he gave me a head nod) that he agreed, and they got all embarrassed and went to a table in the other corner and stared the rest of the evening (at him with lust, at me with hatred, LOL). 

So, I got a head nod from Rob Lowe after rescuing him from groupies. I wonder if he'd remember it enough to be my most connected 6 degrees contact? Nah, not likely.

*snip*

I knew one of the girls from the Rob Lowe sex tape scandal.  She was a friend of some classmates of mine but she was younger than all of us.  I ran into her a lot but we were never more than acquaintances.

When I heard she was involved I was not surprised...

Not my famous people story, but my dad has sailed on Lake Superior for more than 30 years.

...And he nearly killed RFK, Jr. once.

How? RFK and some other Kennedys had decided to come to the tiny resort town and go kayaking. My dad, having been working on the sailboat all day, had not heard the buzz in town about them. He takes the boat out for a test of his fixes. Now, keep in mind that this is a medium-sized, tall, and very sturdy boat. The deck is maybe 5-6 feet above the water line. Which makes it hard to see swimmers and kayakers who come too close- they are in the "blind spots" next to you. Think like driving a big SUV but worse.

Dad was coming out of the harbor entrance, and a few kayaks cut him off, zipping over from another dock. He freaks out and slams on the inboard's brake and just manages to stop in time, yelling at them. When he gets back, he relates his story to my "uncle" (his close friend), and my uncle yells "YOU ALMOST RAN OVER THE KENNEDYS!"

ETA: This was, I think, in the 80s. The Kennedys also ate at a local restaurant that is still popular today. My dad, who is a history buff, once made me sit at a certain table...and told me that was where they had sat. And apparently they tipped 100% and liked the food. At this small, greasy diner.

I, literally, ran into John Taylor from Duran Duran at a hotel in KC.  I was staying there, for their concert and was walking to the lobby came around the corner and we slammed into each other, he knocked me on my ass.  He was very sweet, helped me up I was so gobsmacked I could only mutter I quick I'm sorry, and no no I'm fine no worries and nearly ran away.  I also got to meet the rest of the band in DC a few years latter when a few of us were talking them.  I've since said I can die a happy fulfilled woman, having met my teenage dreams. 

19 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

Maybe I'm just daydreaming about snow days in April :pb_lol:

You should move to the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan- since the first of April we've had over 40 inches of snow and three snow days (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday of last week)  :occasion-snowman:

I've met a good number of celebs or at least sighted a good few over the years. I'll give my best/worst:

Best:

Ramin Karimloo - super sweet guy, met him this past summer during his stint as Jean Valjean in Les Miserable on Broadway. We talked about working out. He is one of the most beautiful humans I have ever encountered and has the most stunning eyes.

Bono - he is exceptionally gracious to fans, many of which are legit nuts. I got a photo with him sans sunglasses circa early 2000's and he signed a vintag U2 poster I owned.

Bobby Shriver - was working for Bono when I met him. He was super cool and definitely a bit drunk. Definitely has the Kennedy look to him - very handsome.

Worst:

Lance Armstrong - encountered him pre-coming out as a cheat. Was a dick then, and still a dick now

Gordon Brown - he ran into me while walking down a London side street. My DH and I were literally only people in area so no excuse for a crowded street. He ran into my shoulder passing by me and didn't bother to apologize - was too distracted by a phone call. This was before he was the British PM - I believe he was Chancellor of the Exchequer at the time.

Other random meetings/sightings:

Aziz Ansari sitting at the table next to me at a cafe in Santa Monica

Jeremy Lin at the Beverly Center

Warren Buffett at a few different events in Nebraska

Gayle Sayers at a book signing in Chicago

Jay-Z at a gas station in Chicago

Eric Larsen - author of Devil In The White City - at a forum put on by my university

Jerry Springer on the Chicago Lakefront

Bart Yasso - sort of a celebrity runner

Gwen Jorgensen - top ITU triathlete, met at a meet and greet before a race

Tim O'Donnell - finished 3rd Ironman Kona, met at a race expo

I grew up and was buddies with one of the Road Rules stars. She was portrayed as a crazy bitch but she was in fact one of the nicest and coolest gals I knew.

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

You should move to the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan- since the first of April we've had over 40 inches of snow and three snow days (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday of last week)  :occasion-snowman:

You're a Yooper?!  I grew up (years ago) in Marquette.  I remember several feet of snow October through April.  I loved it!  I miss pasties!

Kobe Bryant at the local gas station.  His hands were huge.  His wife was over in another car, glaring.  He was nice.  His wife lived in our neighborhood with her grandparents (I think) before they married and my kids often rode bikes over to see him/posse.

Cleveland rocks!  My darling Angels BB team was staying at the same hotel where I was speaking... I ditched the boring part of my meeting to lounge in the lobby and meet my BB heroes.  It was a day to be remember.  This must have been 2003?  Post WS win. 

I almost ran over Alan Alda.

The wife from the Larry David show asked me if she could cut over to get on the freeway.

I can go on and on and it doesn't matter.....What were we talking about, originally?  Josh... someone?

1 hour ago, Mothership said:

You're a Yooper?!  I grew up (years ago) in Marquette.  I remember several feet of snow October through April.  I loved it!  I miss pasties!

Yep I'm a Yooper, born and bred. I left for college and a very brief stint working in Chicago before coming back and I won't be moving away again if I can help it (cities are not my cup of tea). I'm hoping that the snow will finally melt this weekend, it's forecasted to get up to 60F. 

Even though this isn't the recipe thread here's the family pasty recipe from Cornwall (including commentary from my late grandmother :)). This recipe goes back to at least her grandmother, possibly further back.

Crust- sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp baking powder. Cut in 3/4 cup lard (shortening can be substituted if you really, really need to). Add enough water for form a soft dough.

Filling- chip 6-8 medium potatoes, 2 large onions and 1 rutabaga (don't chop the vegetables- the corners will break through the crust, use a sharp spoon to break off small irregularly shaped pieces). Dice 1 lb round steak and 1 lb pork. Combine filling ingredients, season with salt and pepper and mix well. 

Roll out the crust in circles about the size of a dinner plate. Place the filling on 1/2 of the crust and fold the other half over, crimping the edges. Cut vents in the crust and bake at 400F for 15 minutes, then 375F for 45 minutes. When done, put 1 tbsp water in the crust vent (it's supposed to make steam? I've never really noticed a difference if you didn't add the water)

Oh gee, I just can't resist- my husband works for a TV network.  Shaquille O'Neill was there shooting a commercial or a promo or something some time ago.

My husband left work as usual in his car which I guess is a 'classic' because it has fins and you don't see many cars like that driving around these days.

Shaq was waiting for his ride outside (I think) and when my husband drove by, Shaq gave him 2 thumbs up... for the car, I think. ;)

If I had a nickel for every time that 'classic' has been towed...

Never drive a car that is older than you are. ;)

I've had a few celebrity run-ins in my day.

Stephen Colbert - met at an event. Super tall, super gentlemanly, awesome handshake.

Weird Al - also met at an event. I felt like I was meeting God because I'm such a huge fan of his and have been all my life. He was incredibly nice and low-key, but I probably looked like a nutjob even though I was trying to keep calm.

Kate Winslet - she filmed a movie in my neighborhood. She was really nice and friendly, and even more beautiful in person, which I didn't know was possible.

Joss Whedon - he gave a speech at my university. He gave me a fist-bump and told my friend that he liked her hair color. Very funny, clever guy, which you'd totally expect from his writing style.

Barack Obama - I didn't so much meet him as much as just briefly shake his hand at a campaign event I attended, but I got to shake the president's hand, which was awesome.

Robin de Jesus (original In the Heights cast) - met him and got his autograph at the stage door for another Broadway show he was in. Really sweet guy and very engaged with his fans.

Giancarlo Esposito (Gus on Breaking Bad) - long before Breaking Bad, he owned a house that used to host a local annual Bernese Mountain Dog meetup before the owners moved away, and he decided to keep hosting. My family had a Bernese Mountain Dog, so we attended the event every year. He wasn't a huge name, but somewhat recognizable at the time because he'd done a lot of movies and TV shows, and he was very chill and had a gorgeous house. He said that my family's dog was really cute. Years later, my parents and I are watching Breaking Bad and my mom gasps and goes "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS THE BERNER MEETUP GUY." So yeah, Gus Fring really likes cute puppies.

I met Fred Rogers when I was a child.  Now that was amazing.  As an adult, zero, giltch, nada.  Oh, well I met Mary Beth Roe from QVC on a tour there, if that counts LOL

Bless you @Bethella   Hey FJers, if you haven't tried a true Yooper (Upper Pennisula) Pasty, you've missed a real treat.

@nastyhobbitses My son worked for STephen Colbert and thought he was the best boss ever--kind, considerate, generous, really funny all the time, and really, really smart. 

I went to school with Aziz Ansari's brother Aniz, who is now a writer for his brother's show. We had AP Government together. The teacher was a creepy soccer coach with a Ron Paul fetish who sat us in front of a Reagan poster just because he knew we were liberal. 

11 hours ago, Bethella said:

Yep I'm a Yooper, born and bred. I left for college and a very brief stint working in Chicago before coming back and I won't be moving away again if I can help it (cities are not my cup of tea). I'm hoping that the snow will finally melt this weekend, it's forecasted to get up to 60F. 

Even though this isn't the recipe thread here's the family pasty recipe from Cornwall (including commentary from my late grandmother :)). This recipe goes back to at least her grandmother, possibly further back.

Crust- sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp baking powder. Cut in 3/4 cup lard (shortening can be substituted if you really, really need to). Add enough water for form a soft dough.

Filling- chip 6-8 medium potatoes, 2 large onions and 1 rutabaga (don't chop the vegetables- the corners will break through the crust, use a sharp spoon to break off small irregularly shaped pieces). Dice 1 lb round steak and 1 lb pork. Combine filling ingredients, season with salt and pepper and mix well. 

Roll out the crust in circles about the size of a dinner plate. Place the filling on 1/2 of the crust and fold the other half over, crimping the edges. Cut vents in the crust and bake at 400F for 15 minutes, then 375F for 45 minutes. When done, put 1 tbsp water in the crust vent (it's supposed to make steam? I've never really noticed a difference if you didn't add the water)

My family isn't from the UP, but that pasty recipe is verrrrrrry similar to the one passed down to my grandmother from her grandmother (who I am named after, and whose husband was Cornish and taught her the art of pasty-making to save their marriage). GG-Grandpa was a lock tender on the Morris Canal and he ate her pasties for lunch every day until he dropped dead of a heart attack in 1909.

I saw Julia Child in a supermarket - I think it was Stop n Shop - in one of the NW suburbs of Boston around 25 years ago.  Loved her show, and knew she was tall, but was amazed when I saw her in person.  She looked much larger than she did on TV...at least from my 5' 3" perspective.

I really wanted to say hi and express my admiration, but was too shy and thought she might not want to be bothered (she was shopping with an elderly man who appeared pretty frail).  Still kind of wish I had though.

49 minutes ago, withaj said:

I went to school with Aziz Ansari's brother Aniz, who is now a writer for his brother's show. We had AP Government together. The teacher was a creepy soccer coach with a Ron Paul fetish who sat us in front of a Reagan poster just because he knew we were liberal. 

Are these everywhere?? My daughter had to deal with one of these in high school. He was such a tool. Really intimidated and even confused a lot of kids. We lived in a very small, very conservative southern town. my kids and I were very much in the minority. Later that teacher was embroiled in a student-teacher sex scandal and now has to register as a sex offender. My daughter is in law school. So...

6 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Are these everywhere?? My daughter had to deal with one of these in high school. He was such a tool. Really intimidated and even confused a lot of kids. We lived in a very small, very conservative southern town. my kids and I were very much in the minority. Later that teacher was embroiled in a student-teacher sex scandal and now has to register as a sex offender. My daughter is in law school. So...

I guess so, unfortunately. To my knowledge, this coach never crossed the line enough to cause a scandal, but even the girls he coached on the soccer team found him a little... unusual, though most of them were fond of him. He used them as babysitters for his kids. He was a little handsy -- apparently he flipped over the waistband of one girl's jeans to see what brand they were, and I recall he patted my knee once. He also had a bit of a Napoleon complex, and he grinned too much and made weirdly intense eye contact. 

A lot of coach-teachers seem to be a bit problematic -- behavior aside, for one, this guy should never have been teaching an AP-level class. Of course, he thought he was an expert on the constitution because he was a libertarian.

1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

Wow-Parallel universe...same thing happened with the creepy conservative teacher at my kid's HS!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived