IGNORED

Fundies and Easter

roddma

In my area, those school districts that have their Spring Break after Easter start it on Good Friday. I think it might be because so many children were kept home on that day that it was decided by the district to give everyone that day off. Not just Catholics were doing that, but other Christians that observe Good Friday as well.

My dad was raised in a strict Catholic family, as my grandpa went to Jesuit schools which made him especially devout. Doing the Stations of the Cross in that family wasn't just done on Good Friday as it might be for most Catholics, but he had his sons do that several times a year. In a way, it's not surprising that my dad and uncles quit practicing as soon as they moved out of the house, and have only gone to church for weddings and funerals.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh! So I asked my classmate, and she says her church is non-denominational, just Christian.  And that not celebrating the holidays is her personal choice for her family.  Which makes me feel for her kids, because they go to public school and must see all the other families celebrating Christmas, Easter, etc, while they don't do anything.  Sad.

@ADoyle90815

We had to do the Stations at least once a month - before or after the Sunday afternoon benediction service - for years. Neither of my siblings nor I have set foot in a church for decades, except for weddings and funerals.

Well -  sometimes a carol service, or my Mum's birthday.

Well, I have relaxed a bit from our rigid "Resurrection Day" vocabulary (we were trained to it in our old church, along with "shared meals" instead of potlucks and "Lord's Day" instead of Sunday, among other things. Sort of superstitious, especially with never wishing anyone luck), and I got my comeuppance.

IOW, I happened to mention "easter" in conversation and got an unsolicited (that means "not asked for" doesn't it?) lecture on the origins of "easter" and the word "easter" and how "easter" is pagan and not christian at all, including eggs and bunnies.

Which I already knew, having been thoroughly steeped in it, but was too polite to say anything back, I just waited for her to wind down. (It was an elderly lady, that I feel great affection for, most of the time. I guess I hit one of her triggers or something.)  

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but it seems like protestant churches in my area are more and more observing Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  I always thought observation of those two days was a Catholic thing (and other liturgical churches).

Even some of the Baptist churches in my area were advertising Good Friday services.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Maybe it's always been like this and I just didn't notice?

Archived