IGNORED

Fundies and Easter

roddma

Im waiitng for all the Easter posts. Fundies woudl be surprised about its origins. They are celebrating a day named for a German goddess, and nothing to do with Christ.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know which I like better.  The ones who are posting the meme that has Jesus and the Easter Bunny (Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus), or the ones who say Easter is pagan and everyone that celebrates it might as well be dying eggs with the devil himself.  

Of course nothing tops Halloween, but Easter is pretty entertaining too.  Either way they are bitching back and forth and I'm over here eating a ridiculous amount of Easter candy and watching in amusement.  Thanks fundies :twisted: :pb_lol:

Isn't that why many of them refer to this as "Resurrection Sunday"? Easter is way too Catholic for them....

I've actually heard the term Resurrection Sunday used in more mainstream Protestant churches, too. It seemed to be a way to distinguish more serious religious celebrations from the Easter Bunny stuff (as opposed to fundies using it to avoid connections to paganism or Catholicism I'm guessing?).

As an ebil Catholic who's greatly looking forward to singlehandedly eating the enormous chocolate bunny that's sitting on my kitchen worktop, can I wish all of you and all of my favourite fundies a very happy Easter? Easter is about a message of joy, hope, renewal and fresh starts and I wish all of that for all of you. 

Kisses!!!!

:group-hug:

Another ebil Catholic here, wishing you all a Happy Easter, if you celebrate it. If not, happy chocolate bunny day! :) And whatever your beliefs, may it bring you hope and happiness.

There is a woman in my graduate program who doesn't celebrate Easter because it is not in the Bible.  I understand not doing the bunny/eggs thing, but I always thought it was most definitely a Christian holiday?  They apparently only celebrate the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving and New Years, which are purely American holidays.  She did grow up in Vietnam if that makes a difference?  I don't think they do birthdays, either.  I don't understand it at all.

4 hours ago, anachronistic said:

There is a woman in my graduate program who doesn't celebrate Easter because it is not in the Bible.  I understand not doing the bunny/eggs thing, but I always thought it was most definitely a Christian holiday?  They apparently only celebrate the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving and New Years, which are purely American holidays.  She did grow up in Vietnam if that makes a difference?  I don't think they do birthdays, either.  I don't understand it at all.

Easter (all of Holy Week really) is liturgically the most important holiday in the Christian calendar. I think other than in English and German, the name for Easter is a version of the Hebrew word for 'Passover'

Fundies might freak out over Easter, but Im going to enjoy the chocolate and candy

I use both terms. So Happy Easter and Happy Resurrection Day! From a fundie who celebrates that Jesus is alive and also does bunnies, eggs, and all that jazz :-D

7 hours ago, anachronistic said:

There is a woman in my graduate program who doesn't celebrate Easter because it is not in the Bible.

I'm familiar with a person who does this with both Christmas and Easter. Apparently if God or Jesus did not literally say "Thou must celebrate this holiday at this time each year," then it's a pagan holiday, worldly, and not Christian.

After spending the day with my in-laws, I'm calling it food-coma day and leaving it at that.

*hiccup*

as an ebil Catholic with a Fundie-Lite sister in law, we argue all the time because my family goes to the vigil mass at 7:30 pm Saturday night at my church and she claims that you CANNOT celebrate the resurrection UNTIL sunrise on Sunday at the earliest.  

I think God (and Jesus) have bigger concerns on their plates.  

I was raised Lutheran (another ebil-lite?) and Good Friday always felt more important than the actual Easter sunday for us. That said we were no where near fundie.

We call it both and have always done bunnies AND Jesus. Nobody I know celebrates the Resurrection on Friday, as that's usually a day of mourning at least for reformers. Definitely curious to learn more about that. And then Easter is for rejoicing, woo! And eating a lot!

No "Easter" in this family. Too pagan. Resurrection Sunday or bust. I think I got maybe 2 Easter baskets in my life as a kid, one was just the VHS of the Prince of Egypt  and one was given to me by a family friend. 

Good Friday= sitting in church for hours and the next Sunday = sitting in church for hours.

I don't know which I like better.  The ones who are posting the meme that has Jesus and the Easter Bunny (Silly Rabbit, Easter is for Jesus), or the ones who say Easter is pagan and everyone that celebrates it might as well be dying eggs with the devil himself.  

Of course nothing tops Halloween, but Easter is pretty entertaining too.  Either way they are bitching back and forth and I'm over here eating a ridiculous amount of Easter candy and watching in amusement.  Thanks fundies :twisted: :pb_lol:

I have to say, I really like 'Dying eggs with the devil himself'! Sounds like it would make a great post count title ;)

Easter isnt mentioned in the KJV version. I never liked dressing up in the first place for church, and i disliked days you had to get even more frilly, though the day's not Biblical. Then I tend to be agnostic.

13 hours ago, anachronistic said:

It's in the KJV :P

1 hour ago, roddma said:

Easter isnt mentioned in the KJV version. I never liked dressing up in the first place for church, and i disliked days you had to get even more frilly, though the day's not Biblical. Then I tend to be agnostic.

Yes it is. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+12%3A4&version=KJV

8 hours ago, Arete said:

The Greek word for Easter is "Pascha", derived from Passover.  It is also sometimes called "H Anastasi" the resurrection.

Well technically it's derived from a Hebrew word.  Passover is the English literal translation.

Christ is called the Paschal lamb which is from the Greek. We do a 630 and a 10am service. Good Friday is always solemn, don't talk till you're in your cars, which actually started at the end of Thursday night's service.

When we had a choir, we almost always did a Good Friday cantata and then 2 anthems on Sunday. I loved the 7 Last Words by Stainer, but the Faure Requiem was always my favorite. And we had enough voices to pull it off, an organist who could get strings and brass to play and a large enough congregation to enjoy it. 

Now we have a joint service with the Korean church who shares our sanctuary and honest to goodness, other than their choir singing it's a bore. And they sing in Korean and we get sheets that say what they're singing. I'd like just once for them to sing an anthem in English. Our pastor likes to wander when he preaches but on these services he has to stand behind a portable pulpit while the Korean pastor stands at the Lectern. Don't get much out of the sermon. He's a wonderful preacher  but I feel like he's restrained during this service. At the 630 service the Korean pastor leads. I don't get up for that. 

Got a little longwinded here, sorry. I'm supposed to be studying for a final  but just don't have the gumption to. I think I'll turn on Dr Who and be amused. 

Archived