IGNORED

Grifting fundies should all read this - but they won't St Joseph's Day

quiversR4hunting

I read this blog post the other day: http://www.catholicgentleman.net/2016/03/a-prayer-to-st-joseph-before-work/

It was the feast of St. Joseph (as in Mary's husband)

Part of it says:

It (work) should rather be an act of loving service to God, bringing glory to him who is our Maker.

Work isn’t a curse, it is ordained by God and is a holy duty. Our heavenly Father himself taught us how to work and rest, and even in Paradise, where there was no pain or sorrow, our first parents worked joyfully, tending the earth and keeping it.

St. Joseph, the Guardian of our Redeemer, also worked with his hands and taught the child Jesus his craft of carpentry. Indeed, St. Joseph teaches us that working silently for Jesus and Mary is the highest calling of every man.

It is saying that we should all work! God ordained it to teach your child a craft and to work for you child(ren) and wife! And I will never understand why the grifting fundies don't believe that work isn't a curse. earning a living and taking care of your family is a noble thing. And notice Joseph taught Jesus a craft- carpentry- not preaching. Jesus learned that on his own because Ma (Mary) and Pa (Joseph) let him (Jesus) follow his own calling.  So what do you say Dave R? Joe N? John S? Bates? Duggars? I'm sure many others that I don't follow or know.

Of course they will never read the blog above because it is a Catholic blog. And at the end of the blog post is a prayer for St. Joseph to intercede on your behalf.

Happy St. Joseph's Day!

I'm off to buy something for my ailing husband. He's getting over a cold, so I can't take him out for dinner. He insists on celebrating his name day today, even though he's Jewish. Because why would he pass up the chance for a present? Besides, Joseph himself was Jewish. And my spousal unit deserves it for being a good father and worker.

Happy St. Joseph's Day!

i was born and raised Catholic, and this concept is very familiar. A couple of years ago, at my UU church, I led a service on the topic of "work as prayer."

As nutty as conservative and traditionalist Catholics can be, you generally don't see the same kind of grifting as "ministry" mindset that you see among Protestant fundies. You do see large traditionalist families running apostolates of various sorts, but they at least seem to have some business sense about them, like the Little Flowers Family Press:

http://www.littleflowersfamilypress.com/about-us/

There's a lot of snark worthy stuff like alt-med, essential oils, the obsession with "purity," homeschooling, etc., but the family is running a respectable business, which is more than I can say for a lot of fundies.

Ora et labora. This precept is very much a part of Catholic culture here.

Archived