IGNORED

Lady Lydia Videos

formergothardite

2 hours ago, catlady said:

Confession:. I have to admit that the recent discussion of fairy bread was fascinating.  I had never heard of this before.  So I just made one with the leftover 100's & 1000's in the bag of Non Pareils from the Vermont Country Store (yes, let's use the proper terminology for the candy bits).  Apologies for the wheat bread, it's all I had.

ok, this was interesting.  I think I'd like it more with Nutella instead of butter.  

image.jpeg

It's so pretty, and I have a major sweet tooth, but I can't imagine eating this? I might have to try it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/12/2016 at 0:31 AM, Clementine said:

I had to google "foggy tea" and found this:

She has read about lemon and cherry marmalade but has never tried them? And she's 65? Every foodstore has them for a couple of dollars, I imagine it's the same in the US?

One of the comments:

Who are these readers who have never heard about lemon marmalade? Raised by wolves? At least they manage to sound like they do come from the Victorian era when things like a magazine with pretty pictures or a jar of marmalade made from exotic fruit was something new and exiting. 150 years later, not so much.

In her defense (on this one point only), I've never heard of cherry marmalade, and I've heard of lemon, but never seen it in the store. Orange marmalade is easily found in the States, though--my family adores it, though I don't care all that much for it. My taste runs to berry jams.

I do like a good spoonful of lemon curd now and again...

On fairy bread:

Yeah, I can't really imagine eating that, either, though the picture is pretty. My mom grew up in the Great Depression, though, and one of her stories was about eating brown-sugar sandwiches (just bread and butter and brown sugar) as a huge treat. So kids enjoying fairy bread sounds plausible to me.

@refugee I made some, even though I had the wrong kind of bread and also the wrong kind of sprinkles on hand. I want to try it done the right way, but for now I'm going to say I like cinnamon toast better.

Aside from Fairy Bread, some other staples of Australian kid's birthday parties are/were Chocolate Crackles and Honey Joys (also known as Honey Jumbles)

http://capilano.com.au/recipe/honey-joys/ - Made from Cornflakes, honey, butter and sugar

Honey_Joys_780x440-585x330.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_crackles. Made from Rice Bubbles (same as Rice Crispies), cocoa, sugar, and shortening

asset.jpg?ts=1412219959.png

Ahhhh the memories...

I certainly ate my fair share of fairy bread, chocolate crackles and honey jumbles growing up.

You get crackles and jumbles a lot a primary school fete cake stalls.

On February 12, 2016 at 0:58 PM, VodouDoll said:

• Bed

• Dresser

• Plates

• TV

• Coffee pot

• Bathrobe

...when exactly does the fun come in? Lydia has completely lost her marbles.

Ugh, you guys are doing it all wrong. You're supposed to list them and then talk about them! For instance: 

table: what a fantastic table we have! It's most beautifully appointed in our fine lace tablecloth and then covered by plastic sheeting, a la Dexter. Atop the tables I have the most fantastic tea pot, in which I am serving high tea consisting of reheated McDonald's sweet tea, thinned out with the melted ice cubes and brought to a rolling boil.etc etc. see? Isn't that fun? No? Well shit. It seems we have yet another fundie who doesn't know how happiness works

OMG this video is sad.  "playing hotel" by bringing someone room service in a wicker basket???   Is that how you raise kids for jobs that don't require an actual education?

You will notice on my tea table that I use plastic over the table cloths. A lot of people have written and asked me if this is proper etiquette and then want to know, if so, where they can find the plastic for their tables.  Although tea books and etiquette lists of the past have stated it is not proper to cover the table with plastic, most people I know are using it to protect their special table cloths.

I find the least expensive, and thinnest plastic from the roll at Walmart to be the best, because it adheres to the table better. The heavy plastic moves too easily and can fall off. People use it because they want their guests to be at ease and not feel worried about spilling things. Tea can drip and the foods sometimes are a little messy but it is good to let everyone stir and sip and enjoy themselves without worrying about staining the tablecloth or getting the surface of a table wet.

In the 60s and early 70s when my mom had kids and babies at her table, she might use a cloth-backed plastic table cloth in the kitchen but for guests, it was a regular cloth.  My grandmother use a good cloth on Sundays even when all of her grandkids were at her table, but she had a plastic liner under the cloth, to shield the table from spills, not  to protect the table cloth. If spills were a a likely problem, use a more casual cloth. 

Fast forward to today.  I guess she and I know different people, because I have not been to a home that covered the place mats or tablecloth with clear plastic.  Plastic mats for little kids? Yep.  Plastic covers like this?  Never....

On 15 February 2016 at 2:52 AM, Vex said:

I certainly ate my fair share of fairy bread, chocolate crackles and honey jumbles growing up.

You get crackles and jumbles a lot a primary school fete cake stalls.

Oh yeah. A chocolate crispy cake (what I call them) topped with a single Cadbury Mini Egg seems to be a staple, particularly around Easter.

I'd STILL make and eat them. I don't like Rice Krispies though as a cereal- they taste so boring and sawdust-y to me. 

On 2/12/2016 at 9:28 AM, OnceUponATime said:

Under the genre "Free to a good home", the letter F.

My cheapest way of getting rid of books I didn't want was to put them through the library return slot. I always did it when I wasn't returning my own books so they wouldn't be able to link them to me.

Cheap for you, but it is a really asshole move for you to do that to your librarians. You obviously realize that because you try to erase any connection to your entitled self. Am I wrong, @Marian the Librarian?

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Oh yeah. A chocolate crispy cake (what I call them) topped with a single Cadbury Mini Egg seems to be a staple, particularly around Easter.

I'd STILL make and eat them. I don't like Rice Krispies though as a cereal- they taste so boring and sawdust-y to me. 

I call them Rice Krispie cakes, even better are mars bars Rice Krispie cakes yum! 

24 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Cheap for you, but it is a really asshole move for you to do that to your librarians. You obviously realize that because you try to erase any connection to your entitled self. Am I wrong, @Marian the Librarian?

It was at a library where they put them on the permanent "for sale" desk as long as the quality was ok, so I had the impression that they didn't care. I wasn't the only one doing it, every now and then the librarians would recommend one of the books they had received that way to me. Occasionally they would get added to the collection but I don't think that's allowed anymore. The reason I didn't want them linked to me is because I didn't want the librarians to realize what sort of books I owned(yes I was ashamed of my "I kissed dating goodbye" book)

Anyway I didn't do that after I moved away because they explicitly said they can't take second-hand books. That city had a book bin (like a clothing bin but for books) which I used if the local 2nd hand book shop wouldn't buy them from me.

@OnceUponATime honestly, I wish you had explained it that way in your first post. I was really offended that you would do that and got a terrible impression of you! I am sorry I was so harsh. I just got my hackles up thinking you were some rude person,  making more work for the librarians and generally being jerk!

1 minute ago, OnceUponATime said:

@nelliebelle1197 sorry. I didn't realize that it would sound that bad.

Ack, I am on the other side of the world from my life right now and I am ovulating, two things that do not make me tolerant. No need to apologize-  I apologize as well.

"Tragedies always bring scenes of ripped and dirty clothing, but I think it is very telling about our morals and values when we allow our women to trapse about in nothing but garments that would have been underwear a hundred years ago. What a sight we are presenting to the overseas telly-viewers. I'm so embarrassed that these scenes are perceived by Europeans who look up to our country and admire us, as representative of us! "

I have to say, Lady Lydia is SO right. Whenever I hear a tornado siren go off, I tell my children, "Hush now, and go put on your nice pants and shirts. Don't forget your ties! I'll slip into my nice dress and heels. We don't want the Europeans thinking we're trash when they see our demolished house on the evening news!"

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Oh, you'd be surprised what people will put into the after-hours book return - I have some very entertaining stories! :pb_lol:

We add used book donations to our friends of the library book sale, if they meet the friends' posted criteria: no ancient encyclopedia sets, out of date college textbooks, full runs of National Geographic going back to the 1930s - you get the idea. If people ignore the posted criteria and offload that stuff onto us, it goes straight into the recycling dumpster.

3 hours ago, polecat said:

I have to say, Lady Lydia is SO right. Whenever I hear a tornado siren go off, I tell my children, "Hush now, and go put on your nice pants and shirts. Don't forget your ties! I'll slip into my nice dress and heels. We don't want the Europeans thinking we're trash when they see our demolished house on the evening news!"

No no, you're doing it wrong. You are supposed to be in your nice clothing all the time, so you will be presentable even if the disaster strikes without warning. 

1 minute ago, AmazonGrace said:

No no, you're doing it wrong. You are supposed to be in your nice clothing all the time, so you will be presentable even if the disaster strikes without warning. 

And when disaster strikes, make sure that your nice clothing becomes attractively distressed. Maybe some photogenic scratches and some tears. Not too much.

So the new video is about dignity in the home. "Dignity means to elevate, to honor and to make worth while." Really, is that what it means?  Ladies, you have to make your earthly abode a heavenly place and you do that by cleaning, decorating and being nice to the others in the home, creating a peaceful atmosphere. We just want to sigh and breathe it in without worry for our own safety.  

"Many times we think that the home is a place that we can just come home to and impose our bad mood on everybody else, demean them, demoralize them, make it miserable so they all want to leave the home."

Really, is that what we think? 

"But our goal as Christian ladies is to make people want to stay in home, to  want to come sit down and not leave, to absorb the good things that you have to offer." 

It is in the Proverbs: A wise woman raiseth her children to be couch potatoes. Thou shalt not leave thy home to go do good works. Thou shalt only feel safe at thy own abode. 

ETA: she makes a point to describe her cardigans in almost all the posts. Are people really so fascinated with her cardigans? 

37 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Oh, you'd be surprised what people will put into the after-hours book return - I have some very entertaining stories! :pb_lol:

We add used book donations to our friends of the library book sale, if they meet the friends' posted criteria: no ancient encyclopedia sets, out of date college textbooks, full runs of National Geographic going back to the 1930s - you get the idea. If people ignore the posted criteria and offload that stuff onto us, it goes straight into the recycling dumpster.

I've heard tales from my librarian daughter about the book return.

Wasn't Dewey, the library cat, found one freezing Iowa morning, half frozen to death and hungry in a book return?

I will say I want my home to be an oasis in the desert of life.  A refuge (minus any militia protesters) for myself and my husband and the friends and relatives we invite to our home. 

It may be restful or raucous, depending on what we want and need, 

as for this bit Many times we think that the home is a place that we can just come home to and impose our bad mood on everybody else, demean them, demoralize them, make it miserable so they all want to leave the home."

Anyone else think her husband is not always thrilled with her life choices? She has talked about men who suggest their wives work or try to tell the wives how to run the house and patently said those were unbiblical requests. I wonder if she is not just physically alone a lot, but is emotionally alone in her marriage as well.  Didn't someone once say her kids were a bit estranged?  I don't remember for sure on that. 

Before I moved here, I loved the library. I used it all the time and the library also had a place to donate books, and each branch (and there were a lot) had ongoing book sales. You could get the books that were donated that no one wanted (like the full Scientology series) for .50. 

The library here is super shitty and I hate it. I actually hate saying that I hate it because it is, after all, a library. There is one main library that is super industrial and "cold." It doesn't seem to hold very many books, and they only have one book sale per year. Also, the entrance is up a flight of outdoor stairs that seem to always be icy and dangerous. Someone hired an architect from California who clearly had no idea about functional design. 

And the inside is just bleh. Title floors, not enough furniture, always full of homeless people. No little rooms to hide away in, no quiet areas. Somehow, even though it's several floor, it just seems too open and empty and not really functional. I'm sure it's probably that way so they can eventually close it and "save money" which annoys me even more. 

@salex 

Sometimes her posts do evoke a faint feeling that she's primarily trying to convince herself or her loved ones that everything's all right and the aimless preoccupation with tea services and cardigans has a higher purpose in the service of God. 

The level of materialism in her commentary is just baffling to me. I can't even imagine spending that much time dwelling on my possessions or equating hospitality with the things you own.

Though to be fair, my life is a lot more full than hers is.

Archived