IGNORED

Lori Alexander - Still Not Learning A Thing, Part 5

I just have to admit this somewhere in light of Lori's last blogpost.
I have never dreamed of a romantic husband (no romance movie in the world has ever inspired me to do so. When I used to think about a future husband it was the person who would impregnant me with my alphabet soup of kids (yeah I was planning on 26, or 13). Than and someone who would support my dreams. There were no flowers or candy involved. definitely no one was telling me I was beautiful. Nope I didn't want love letters.

I guess I was a failure when dreaming about my husband while growing up (who will never exist). (own your own dreams Lori)

It's nearly valentines day - I really hadn't noticed. Thanks for the reminder L.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Koala said:

Love is when Ken pretends he's a doctor :pb_rollseyes:

Yup,  i was wondering where he got his medical degree from!  I know that when I've been in the hospital, my husband will check to make sure I'm getting *what I'm supposed to be getting* meds-wise, but he doesn't stop them unless it's a mistake.  He doesn't play doctor.

Yay! Only been reading here forever and finally made it up a level!

Romance is Ken sitting by my hospital bed in ICU for hours on end and even sleeping in the car a few hours to get some much needed sleep. It's being there to tell the nurses that no, she doesn't need a big vial of antibiotics before they even knew what was wrong with me. No, she doesn't need shots in her stomach to prevent blood clots. 

Oh I bet all the nurses hate him.

There's probably a reason that the doctor prescribed those medicines.

She challenged one of her commenters to do a search for the word "repentance" to show the reader's definition of repentance. The reader replied with seven scripture passages, to which Lori responded, 

Every single verse you wrote out further explains what I taught and believe to be true!

*sigh*

Every so often i look at the tagline of her blog and have to laugh:

A wise woman is ALWAYS LEARNING. She is open to change. She is ready to hear.

Lori doesn't practice what she claims to preach, that's for sure.

45 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Oh I bet all the nurses hate him.

There's probably a reason that the doctor prescribed those medicines.

yup. I'm not a medical professional but I've always been taught that if you fit into certain categories (low immune system is one) and come in presenting with symptoms that point to an infection you will get antibiotics prescribed. The reason being it can take days before they get positive (or negative) test results back determining what it is that you have. In some cases doing nothing can cause death.

So to stop having lots of people dying on the wards they tend to prescribe antibiotics.

@molecule - I found the way she phrased that to be quite rude.

9 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Yeah what's the point of going into an intensive care unit anyway if you're going to refuse the care.

so your loved ones can sue them once you're gone?
so you know what care is offered and be feel better than all those people taking it because you know Jesus?

so the doctors and nurses can witness God healing you and repent

It always surprises me, seeing how Lori puts down modern medicine, and seems to think Ken knows more than people with medical degrees, to remember that her father is a doctor.

I wonder why she doesn't have more respect for the profession?  Is it a passive aggressive thing against her dad?  She seems to be close to him, so I don't know.

3 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

I just have to admit this somewhere in light of Lori's last blogpost.
I have never dreamed of a romantic husband (no romance movie in the world has ever inspired me to do so. When I used to think about a future husband it was the person who would impregnant me with my alphabet soup of kids (yeah I was planning on 26, or 13). Than and someone who would support my dreams. There were no flowers or candy involved. definitely no one was telling me I was beautiful. Nope I didn't want love letters.

I guess I was a failure when dreaming about my husband while growing up (who will never exist). (own your own dreams Lori)

It's nearly valentines day - I really hadn't noticed. Thanks for the reminder L.

I never did either. I don't want my husband writing me poems or singing me love songs. I never really imagined getting married at all growing up, but if I'd ever thought much about it, I think I'd have imagined someone much like my husband: a partner, a friend, a lover, a teammate. And that's plenty romantic for me.

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

It always surprises me, seeing how Lori puts down modern medicine, and seems to think Ken knows more than people with medical degrees, to remember that her father is a doctor.

I wonder why she doesn't have more respect for the profession?  Is it a passive aggressive thing against her dad?  She seems to be close to him, so I don't know.

They must fight the heresy that the doctors might know more than them because it goes against their faith that they know all the answers from the Bible already.

Romance is Ken sitting by my hospital bed in ICU for hours on end and even sleeping in the car a few hours to get some much needed sleep. It's being there to tell the nurses that no, she doesn't need a big vial of antibiotics before they even knew what was wrong with me. No, she doesn't need shots in her stomach to prevent blood clots. 

Love is when Ken pretends he's a doctor 

Reading this makes me think that maybe Ken would not mind so much if Lori didn't stay ahead of  a  big infection by using antibiotics or might not mind if a blood clot wasn't prevented. But that is just me.

3 hours ago, salex said:

Reading this makes me think that maybe Ken would not mind so much if Lori didn't stay ahead of  a  big infection by using antibiotics or might not mind if a blood clot wasn't prevented. But that is just me.

Does he have a healthcare POA over her? Is that something a husband can just do -- tell the doctors not to follow the recommended course of action? 

I'm sure what she means is she tells the doctor/nurse no, they start informing her why it is needed and she gets overwhelmed. Ken sees that she can't stand up to the pressure and steps in to back her up. Blog life mirroring real life.

1 hour ago, OnceUponATime said:

I'm sure what she means is she tells the doctor/nurse no, they start informing her why it is needed and she gets overwhelmed. Ken sees that she can't stand up to the pressure and steps in to back her up. Blog life mirroring real life.

That's what I think too...but then I wonder, because if I was spouting nonsense like that in a medical setting, my husband would do everything in his power to encourage me to comply with the doctor's requests.

4 hours ago, polecat said:

Does he have a healthcare POA over her? Is that something a husband can just do -- tell the doctors not to follow the recommended course of action? 

It doesn't mean she does not have a say in her health care or that the doctors would disregard her wishes and listen to him over her. She would probably feel extra holy if that were the case though.

Sheeple who clearly lives under a rock:

The Valentine's Day comment made me think of the Bates family and the episode they shared about their special "I love you day" family event. I thought that was so neat. I have always noticed on that show (along with the Duggars) how much those men love and cherish and adore their wives! They are always doing special things to show their love and to go above and beyond. Do you think these men (and there are others of course) are just naturally more romantic, or do you think that this is a "reaction" to having a wife who loves and honors and respects her husband? Either way, I always enjoy watching the couples together!

What would you guys say was more romantic, the time Josh took to create the Ashley Madison account, or the effort he put into meeting up with prostitutes?  Both were just above and beyond.   :tw_heart: :pb_rollseyes:

Lori responds:

We reap what we sow and from what I can see, they treat their husbands with kindness and love so their husbands cherish them and treat them the same!

Ummm, hello?  Have we all forgotten Anna Duggar?

Lori:

Ken has given gifts to me where I clearly showed my disapproval of them, I am very ashamed to admit. Any gift he gives me for now on I'm going to be clearly appreciative and thankful even if I don't love it because he took the time and energy to buy me something.

I just can't really imagine doing that.  I have never been disappointed with anything my husband got me, because it's just wonderful to have someone think of you.

I am not a receiving gifts person- it embarrasses me for some reason.  Anyway, I will brag on my husband for a second.  

My neighbor had a German Shepherd, and I absolutely adored him.  He died at only 3 years old because he got heartworms and didn't survive the treatment.  Broke my heart.  Anyway, my husband spent hours researching breeders and anything you can think of GSD related. Before the year was out I had my own German Shepherd.  Absolutely the best.gift.ever.

Second best gift?  One Valentines he came home with a huge bag of mini Butterfingers. Meant the world to me that he knew I didn't like flowers or those heart boxes of mixed candy, but I am absolutely crazy about Butterfingers.  He's bought me so many nice things over the years, but that one conveyed that he really payed attention that what I like, and that meant something to me.  Silly, but I was happy that he cared enough to pay attention.

41 minutes ago, Koala said:

What would you guys say was more romantic, the time Josh took to create the Ashley Madison account, or the effort he put into meeting up with prostitutes?  Both were just above and beyond.   :tw_heart: :pb_rollseyes:

Ummm, hello?  Have we all forgotten Anna Duggar?

My neighbor had a German Shepherd, and I absolutely adored him.  He died at only 3 years old because he got heartworms and didn't survive the treatment.  Broke my heart.  Anyway, my husband spent hours researching breeders and anything you can think of GSD related. Before the year was out I had my own German Shepherd.  Absolutely the best.gift.ever.

Silly, but I was happy that he cared enough to pay attention.

<snip, snip, snip!>

Those women who claim that the husbands just "cherish" their wives so much are so intriguingly deluded.  A woman I knew in grad school spouted that nonsense; her husband's flame was as bright as the Pecan Thief's.  I felt so bitchy thinking it initially, then talked to my gay friends in our program, and realized their gaydar had pinged heavily upon meeting the guy.  That couple has two kids now, and I doubt he'll ever cheat on her with a woman...  I'm glad you're bringing up Anna Duggar, though.  How fundies can see that and then disregard the reality sitting right in front of them is beyond me.

Koala, your GSD (oh, and the husband who acquired the GSD (FJ emojis only offer chihuahuas, so let's play pretend):chi-yes:) sounds awesome!  That kind of husband is perceptive, intelligent, and certainly worth keeping, unlike these fundie schlubs who get credit for existing, mating, and doing the least amount of work necessary to get credit as heads of households.  

14 hours ago, Koala said:

Love is when Ken pretends he's a doctor :pb_rollseyes:

Yeah, no reason to prevent those pesky blood clots :pb_rollseyes:

When I was hospitalized last year my drs were very worried about potential for blood clots due to the amount of time they knew I would be largely sedentary, so as a precaution I had an IVC filter inserted (1-800-baddrugs!).   Every single day I was in both the hospital and all the skilled nursing facilities I got a small dose of heparin.  I never once thought that it was an unnecessary precaution.  Blood clots are nothing to screw around with.   Her advice is so very dangerous when it comes to medical care.

12 hours ago, molecule said:

She challenged one of her commenters to do a search for the word "repentance" to show the reader's definition of repentance.

Remember Lori is the one that changed the definition of the word desire (I think that's the right word) to something completely different from the actual meaning.   IIRC, her definition has something to do with wishing to control husbands.

5 hours ago, polecat said:

My husband made some medical decisions for me due to a lack of lucidity when I was in the hospital last year.   Generally speaking, unless they are told otherwise it seems like medical personnel will follow the wishes of the loved one that is there.   

My husband said that I was actually involved in some of the discussions, but I have absolutely no recollection of them.  When I was hallucinating (due to one of the meds I was on), I thought the staff was trying to kill me (and that they were talking to me through the tv and could hear me if I talked back to them to the tv.  I actually called the police one night after my husband left for the night...It's pretty funny now, but at the time I was REALLY distressed).  As a result, I was exceedingly suspicious of many of the staff and if he hadn't been there to talk me into taking certain things, I probably wouldn't have.  

He was the one that went to the dr and said look we need to change this med because she's not doing well on it and the dr. complied (and asked my non-dr. husband what he thought the med should be changed to, but that's a whole different issue!).   Fortunately, since my husband is well versed in my situation, he was able to google up some possibilities to discuss with the dr and they eventually agreed on what to try.

If my husband allowed my hallucinations to be a deciding factor in my health care, I doubt my outcome would be as good as it is today.

Back to the "Life of Repentance" post, Lori writes this in the comments:

Lori Alexander 119p · 19 hours ago

They are the seed that feel on rocky soil and had no roots. The only unforgivable sin is the sin of unbelief

My brain kind of bent because that is not what I was taught. I was taught that the only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. 

Jesus talked about the unforgivable sin in Matthew 12:31-32: “And I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.”

But then I attended an evil four year private Christian college, at which I had to take a Bible class each of my eight semesters and attend chapel five days a week.  It was also a period in which I attended church services three times a week. This was in the Bible belt and I was taught by some very highly educated theologians.  So whatta I know.....? I mean it's not like I have an MDiv and work for othordontists or anything Godly like that. 

10 hours ago, Curious said:

My husband made some medical decisions for me due to a lack of lucidity when I was in the hospital last year.   Generally speaking, unless they are told otherwise it seems like medical personnel will follow the wishes of the loved one that is there.   

My husband said that I was actually involved in some of the discussions, but I have absolutely no recollection of them.  When I was hallucinating (due to one of the meds I was on), I thought the staff was trying to kill me (and that they were talking to me through the tv and could hear me if I talked back to them to the tv.  I actually called the police one night after my husband left for the night...It's pretty funny now, but at the time I was REALLY distressed).  As a result, I was exceedingly suspicious of many of the staff and if he hadn't been there to talk me into taking certain things, I probably wouldn't have.  

He was the one that went to the dr and said look we need to change this med because she's not doing well on it and the dr. complied (and asked my non-dr. husband what he thought the med should be changed to, but that's a whole different issue!).   Fortunately, since my husband is well versed in my situation, he was able to google up some possibilities to discuss with the dr and they eventually agreed on what to try.

If my husband allowed my hallucinations to be a deciding factor in my health care, I doubt my outcome would be as good as it is today.

My mom has dementia and a year ago after a heart attack and two strokes she was included in all the decisions involving open heart surgery.She just kept forgetting why she was in the hospital, then later why she has a giant scar on her chest!

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

Back to the "Life of Repentance" post, Lori writes this in the comments:

My brain kind of bent because that is not what I was taught. I was taught that the only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. 

But then I attended an evil four year private Christian college, at which I had to take a Bible class each of my eight semesters and attend chapel five days a week.  It was also a period in which I attended church services three times a week. This was in the Bible belt and I was taught by some very highly educated theologians.  So whatta I know.....? I mean it's not like I have an MDiv and work for othordontists or anything Godly like that. 

You are correct. And it is interesting to note that in Roman Catholic theology there are 6 ways to commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit:

(1) Despair; (2) Presumption; (3) Impenitence or a firm determination not to repent; (4) Obstinacy; (5) Resisting divine truth known to be such; and (6) Envy of another’s spiritual welfare.*

Do you think Lori has ever listened to AC/DC? Because I'm hearing Highway to Hell playing in the background.

*Source: http://catholicexchange.com/what-is-the-unforgivable-sin-against-the-holy-spirit

@Florita - I didn't know that any theologies had ever defined what blasphemy  against the HS is. I say that because growing up I asked about it a lot and was told not to worry about it, if I did it I would surely know. (a bit too late right?)

I find this from Lori weird: (bolding mine)

Watching immodesty and indecency has no hold on me. I have trained myself to hate these types of things.

I don't recall ever having to train myself to hate immodesty/indecency. It was something that repulsed me because it was 'evil/sinful' not because I trained myself*. I wonder how she did it - twitching?

*please don't bash me because of this. I'm doing my best to train myself not to judge how others dress now.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived