IGNORED

New Years Eve/New Years Day Foods

Lynn18

We're not terribly sociable in RL, but can I make some suggestions (based upon feeding lots of Hungrykins in different settings)? 

BIG honking bowl of garlic hummus, with celery, carrots, radishes, broccoli and/or cauliflower, little cherry/grape tomatoes, green onions, cucumbers, summer squash (zucchini or yellow squash), sweet bell peppers in different colors, jicama (with some of it set aside, with lime juice and chili peppers), some snow peas (barely cooked), and a secondary bowl of chickpea hummus, with tahini, with lots of sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, with herbs, and some lemon juice and yogurt to thin it down.  

Black Cuban beans and chickpeas, with tahini (sesame paste) and lemon juice, plus a little soy sauce and orange juice and orange peel, all done up in a food processor, makes also Very Yummy.hummus for those that can eat soy.

Triple-berry chicken salad: cooked chicken breasts/thighs, picked down and diced, with celery and tart apple cubes, with dried cranberries, blueberries, and maybe raisins, soaked in balsamic vinegar with Arabic raspberry syrup and a bit of Tabasco sauce to point it, and a touch of good yogurt to bind this?

Asian peanut noodles: Cook spaghetti or thick noodles till al dente; shock in cold water.  Make sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce, bit of good oil, black pepper, and Chinese 5-spice (or nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger--fresh grated, or a little powdered, and star anise); heat sauce and stir in noodles till warmed and let them take up the flavorings.

How about lots of lovely rice (made in rice cooker), plus a couple of pounds of thawed- fully cooked-deveined-shelled shrimp, plus some blanched snow peas, and slivers of red bell pepper to make it crispy, Take thick yogurt, add plenty of dillweed (feathery parts of dill), plus green onion tops well chopped, Mix all together and let it sit 2 hours for flavors to marry.

My husband insists on Chinese food for NYE (happily we are bringing from very nice one...soup dumplings!) He's from the Canadian maritimes. My tradition calls for black-eyed peas on NY day. We usually eat them cold, marinated in Italian type dressing, in a salad.

8 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

My husband insists on Chinese food for NYE (happily we are bringing from very nice one...soup dumplings!) He's from the Canadian maritimes.

My brother now lives in the maritimes and for quite some time this has been his go to for New Year's Eve. Maybe it is a maritime thing. I will have to ask around!

@grimalkin Anson Mills, milled in Columbia SC are easy enough to find throughout most of the US (and from Amazon). Happy to share SC recipes if needed.

My uncle got the good luck coin today.  After, slices of the sweet bread that had been set aside for the house, Jesus, and the Virgin Mary were broken up and distributed among the bird feeders.  Usually during the 12 days rural Greeks bring sweetened feed one night to their farm animals.   It is part of a children's celebration where they acknowledge that animals also bore witness to the first Christmas.  None of us have farm animals, so we came up with leaving something for the birds.  lol

We usually have seafood gumbo for Xmas. Shrimp & grits NYE, and Hoppin' John New Year's Day with leftover boozy black fruit cake for dessert.

3 hours ago, Lynn18 said:

What is a "boozy black fruit cake"? Sounds yummy!

It's a cross between Jamaican black cake and fruit cake. I macerate my fruit in Myers rum for a few weeks to get them good and drunk. :my_biggrin:

Archived