IGNORED

How did I miss the existence of Joshua Phillips' blog?

GenerationCedarchip

Vigorous Manhood? :shock: Yep, he's Dougie's boy for sure!

Unlike the critics, JT is quite taken with Ballantyne's vigorous manhood, it seems.

I think a lot of that is attributable to the unbearable hotness of Colin Firth in the BBC miniseries, but I wouldn't expect him to know that.

Or Laurence Olivier (the Mr. Darcy I grew up with. I thought he was the most handsome man on earth).

I don't know if anyone else has hung out in online circles where people use this expression, but "Vigorous Manhood" seems to me like it should be written like "I admire his Vigorous Manhood, UNF, UNF!"

Off to read JTP's blog. I think he's a cute boy. Shame about his personality!

about Jane: I must point out that describing her as a dullard because she's 'traditionally feminine' and thus boring, is discouraging to girls who choose and happen to like being classically feminine. Classic femininity does not equal boring. It's like those 'enlightened' beauty books and in the author's foreword she describes how she thinks 'unconventional' beauty is so much more interesting than the boring, 'classic' all-American look. I've read so many of those books that basically call me a totallly boring-looking girl. I didn't choose to be white, blonde, blue-eyed (not saying 'poor white me') and I do not care to be called boring simply because of those traits.

If I misunderstood you, by all means let me know. I don't mean to be 'an offended poster'.

Guest Anonymous

AD,

Femininity is a slippery concept that can be hard to define, so don't be too hard on me! What I am really getting at is that the ideal of femininity as promoted by VF and/or Regency England tended to include such traits as placidity and submissiveness. Coloring within the lines, in other words. Doesn't mean you are automatically boring if you happen to like dresses or baking cookies.

Just checked my local library and they do not have a singe one of Ballantyne's books. Barnes and Noble does, however, at least online, so now I will have to make a trip to the store to see if they have any in stock. I want to know just how great and manly these books are! For those of you with Nooks, the ebook versions of Ballantyne's epics can be had for only 99 cents!

No need to pay, at least not for everything. Like so much of what Doug Phillips tries to sell us, much of Ballantyne's work is available for free

http://www.readbookonline.net/books/Ballantyne/562/

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search. ... &query=333

I expect one day to wake up and Doug will be in my home, putting price tags on the clothes in my closet and offering to rent me a seat on my couch.

After reading the blog a bit, John Horn seems like a kind of a milquetoast. He makes JTP seem positively vigorously manly in his writing style. (However, JTP's fashion is surely the more foppish.)

Archived