IGNORED

The War on Christmas has begun!!!

PartriarchydefyinValkarie

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/17/2015 at 9:30 AM, Gimme a Free RV said:
Thank you.

Oh, my!  Seriously defrauding Yoda with the angle of his light saber,  do I find.

Looks more like a lightbaseballbat to me.

And that small factoid cracks me up every year, when my one religiously zealous relative starts her annual campaign to keep "Christ" in Christmas. It never gets old to tell her that there is no "Christ" in "Weihnachten". That's my yearly contribution to the war on Christmas. :kitty-shifty:

Hehehe! Same in French. No Christ in Christmas. :P

Noël does come from the latin ''natalis'' (meaning birth or 'of the birth') so it's not completely unrelated. But still.

I was gobsmacked when I logged back into FB the day after I saw that clip, I thought that was a segment from some skit show when I watched it and had a good laugh.

So many interesting responses on from my USA FB buddies... most of them started up with posts about "Christ in Xmas" that everybody above has mentioned. I sort of thought the red cup was rather festive and elegant (have only seen pictures though as we don't have a starbucks anywhere near where I live in rural Australia.) It also started up the "happy holiday - Merry Xmas debate, of the joy of that. 

It sort of reminds me of what happened in a FB game I play where they changed the name of the tree you get as a seasonal plant from "Christmas Tree" to "Festive Tree" .  At one stage reading the forums I was worried for the developers safety. They ended up removing the thread it got so emotional and abusive. I get great delight in calling it a Festive Tree and the Festive Season to those that were particularly zealous on the thread.

Hehehe! Same in French. No Christ in Christmas. :P

Noël does come from the latin ''natalis'' (meaning birth or 'of the birth') so it's not completely unrelated. But still.

Yay! It is difficult to keep "Christ" in Christmas, when your language doesn't do "Christmas", isn't it? :)

On a somewhat related noted, every time I hear the word "Noel", I think of the movie "Joyeux Noel", about the Christmas Truce during WW1, when soldiers played football in between the trenches. No point to this, just that hearing "Noel" means "peace" to me across borders, if only for a moment.

Yay! It is difficult to keep "Christ" in Christmas, when your language doesn't do "Christmas", isn't it? :)

On a somewhat related noted, every time I hear the word "Noel", I think of the movie "Joyeux Noel", about the Christmas Truce during WW1, when soldiers played football in between the trenches. No point to this, just that hearing "Noel" means "peace" to me across borders, if only for a moment.

Awwww! So sweet you are talking about that movie. :3 ''Joyeux Noël'' is a personal favorite of mine, and not just in the category of Christmas movies. It's just a great film over all. And I think it shows the real and true meaning of Christmas. Overacting nutjobs should watch that instead of focusing on a stupid red cup.

Awwww! So sweet you are talking about that movie. :3 ''Joyeux Noël'' is a personal favorite of mine, and not just in the category of Christmas movies. It's just a great film over all. And I think it shows the real and true meaning of Christmas. Overacting nutjobs should watch that instead of focusing on a stupid red cup.

It's a favourite of mine as well, and I agree that it shows what Christmas is supposed to be. Who cares about the design of a Starbucks cup?

I love that movie. I watched in french class at the time i was also kn german class. It was great to be able to see a movie in the three languages i was studying at the time. 

I love that movie. I watched in french class at the time i was also kn german class. It was great to be able to see a movie in the three languages i was studying at the time. 

It's a great film for that. And quite poignant if you don't understand all of it. I'm a native German speaker, fluent in English, but my French is atrocious, despite my best efforts. I still found the French parts to be the most heart-breaking.

And I suppose that was one of the points of the film. To understand each other, despite barriers. To me, that is far more important than the design of a Starbucks cup.

I saw the video that started it all.  I see no problem with a red cup...

Most "christians" who are getting all upset about this are spending more time on something not being on a cup than what Christmas is all about in the first place.    I don't think God cares about a secular company, who has clearly stated that it wants no ties to religion putting out a plain red cup.

I am a Christian and I really don't get the issue with the Starbucks cup. I don't even go there that often because it is overpriced and not that good.

It cracks me up when a small minority of Christians get upset about Christmas being written as X-mas. They are just showing their ignorance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

http://blog.dictionary.com/xmas-christogram/

The guy who started the whole Starbucks red cup stuff is such an attention whore. I can't believe anyone takes him seriously. No surprise he is a fan of Donald Trump. He is also mad because Kohl's dared to have a gay couple in their commercial. I think he just goes about trying to find stuff to claim is an attack on Christianity. 

The guy who started the whole Starbucks red cup stuff is such an attention whore. I can't believe anyone takes him seriously. No surprise he is a fan of Donald Trump. He is also mad because Kohl's dared to have a gay couple in their commercial. I think he just goes about trying to find stuff to claim is an attack on Christianity. 

I was wondering if anybody was going to bring up this guy. In the first place - before anything else - I already know everything I need to know when he describes himself as a "former pastor turned internet and social media personality." I mean, really?

And (as a self-identified Christian) I find the whole Starbuck's thing maybe the least offensive of his crap. It's really crap.

Speaking of the War on Christmas, all the people I know who are freaking out about cities being forced to remove Nativity scenes or having to allow other religions to put up displays are also the people excited about all the states that want to refuse to help refugees. I saw a picture on FB from one of my more liberal Christian friends that said " Don't forget to hate refugees while you are putting up a Nativity scene celebrating a Middle Eastern couple desperately looking for shelter." The conservative, right wing Christians didn't take it too well. 

I just go to TIm Hortons. Better coffee, way easier to order, cheaper AND I got a red Christmas cup today with a snowflake on it and a very devout looking polar bear.

One of the things that mystifies me about all this is that past Starbucks Christmas cups aren't exactly a paragon of Christian symbolism.  Why on earth should it be any different this year? 

starbuckscups.jpg

And since I didn't get it out of my system yet: fuck, fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck! :pb_lol:

Nothing to do with Christmas, but you reminded me of how, back in October,  I was live texting the Blue Jays/Royals playoff game to my friend in Shanghai. It was a pretty tense all or nothing game and I think "Fuck,fuck,fuckety, fuck fuck fuuuuk ! " was an appropriate response to t h e Jays losing the game. It really would have helped if my friend had told me her daughter was reading along too. Oh well, time she knew Auntie PPOD  swears plenty, given good reason.      Her mother should have known when she signed me up for Godmother duties that I might be a little un godly  at times.  

Archived