IGNORED

The War on Christmas has begun!!!

PartriarchydefyinValkarie

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaand, Starbucks caves to the Christianists and puts a scripture verse on the red cup.  

sbuck_cup.thumb.jpg.87fc7d67f09b8e5807e1

The outdoor/sporting goods chain REI has announced they're going to not only stay closed on Black Friday, but they're also paying their people for the day as well.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/26/news/companies/rei-black-friday/

Finally someone who gets it....

One of the local supermarkets where I live has a Starbucks inside.  I decided to get some hot chocolate today, in a nice red cup from the Starbucks.  The hot chocolate tasted extra good since it gave me a way to say up yours, Donald Trump. 

IMG_6456.JPG

One of the local supermarkets where I live has a Starbucks inside.  I decided to get some hot chocolate today, in a nice red cup from the Starbucks.  The hot chocolate tasted extra good since it gave me a way to say up yours, Donald Trump. 

IMG_6456.JPG

I had a hot chocolate from the local supermarket Starbucks this morning, too. All this talk about Starbucks had me craving it. 

A friend posted a rant yesterday that she is a Christian and is not bothered by this and no one in her church is either, so obviously, the media made this up to make fun of Christians. She is an Episcopalian. I'm not at all surprised that no one in her church circle is upset at Starbucks. Tried to explain to her that it is a different sort of Christian that is bothered. I have seen four FB posts (aside from my idiot aunt) declaring the need to boycott Starbucks. All from former students of mine at crazy fundagelical school. Go figure. 

I had a hot chocolate from the local supermarket Starbucks this morning, too. All this talk about Starbucks had me craving it. 

A friend posted a rant yesterday that she is a Christian and is not bothered by this and no one in her church is either, so obviously, the media made this up to make fun of Christians. She is an Episcopalian. I'm not at all surprised that no one in her church circle is upset at Starbucks. Tried to explain to her that it is a different sort of Christian that is bothered. I have seen four FB posts (aside from my idiot aunt) declaring the need to boycott Starbucks. All from former students of mine at crazy fundagelical school. Go figure. 

There are plenty of other things to be upset about in this world.  It would be nice if some of these fundies would focus on those things instead of red cups.

Generally us Episcopalians aren't that worked up about Starbucks.  If there are any Anglican type Christians that are upset at Starbucks I'd wager they're Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) members.  (Those are fundies who barely tolerated women being ordained priests and were looking for an excuse to break with the Episcopal Church and got it when a woman was named Presiding Bishop and a gay man was ordained a Bishop.  The ACNA isn't recognized by Canterbury but some of the churches in Africa do recognize them).

And normally I wouldn't get a Starbucks.  I have no problem with Starbucks and I think their products are all right, but we have some local shops here that are much better.  All the Starbucks around here are inside grocery stores, we don't have free standing ones.

There are plenty of other things to be upset about in this world.  It would be nice if some of these fundies would focus on those things instead of red cups.

Generally us Episcopalians aren't that worked up about Starbucks.  If there are any Anglican type Christians that are upset at Starbucks I'd wager they're Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) members.  (Those are fundies who barely tolerated women being ordained priests and were looking for an excuse to break with the Episcopal Church and got it when a woman was named Presiding Bishop and a gay man was ordained a Bishop.  The ACNA isn't recognized by Canterbury but some of the churches in Africa do recognize them).

And normally I wouldn't get a Starbucks.  I have no problem with Starbucks and I think their products are all right, but we have some local shops here that are much better.  All the Starbucks around here are inside grocery stores, we don't have free standing ones.

We have no independent shops here. We had one for a short time, but they were serving supermarket coffee and couldn't make a decent espresso drink to save their lives. We actually just got the supermarket Starbucks kiosk last month. I live in a really small town. 

My idiot sister-in-law owns a coffeehouse. Her coffee and espresso drinks are amazing. (Coffee is the one thing she is good at). But her hot chocolate is, for reasons I've never figured out, not all that chocolate-y. So my deep dark secret is that for hot chocolate, I prefer Starbucks. 

I live in a Starbucks-free county(although I've seen their products in my local supermarket), so I couldn't boycott them even if I wanted to.(And it's a moot point since I don't drink coffee anyway. :pb_lol:)

Thoughts?   And feel free to merge this if needed....This is 2-3 hours east of where the Duggars live.

http://katv.com/news/local/arkansas-county-loses-lawsuit-challenging-nativity-display

It's not a "war on Christmas", its equal presence for all.  You can't allow one thing on government property and tell everyone else No.  And the woman who filed the initial suit has had all the windows busted at her business, "Rot in Hell" spray painted on her car, various threats.  The comments on Facebook are so....idiotic. Scary town to live in if you aren't part of the crowd!

Mind you my family is Pagan, and not in the "its a fad" kind of way.  I've been practicing 20+ years, my oldest daughter has chosen a Pagan path, and my younger two will have the choice on what they want to believe.  But we also live in a VERY small, mostly Christian town and the harassment we've received has been terrible. Can't tell you how many times I've had to go to the school because my daughter has had her pentacle necklace ripped off (I've replaced 5 (!) chains), whole groups of kids would back her into the lockers and take turns quoting scripture at her. Some girl comes up and tells her she's going to Hell right in front of a teacher and when my daughter laughed and said yeah whatever, I don't believe in Hell, my daughter got detention for "foul language" but the other girl didn't get squat. Thankfully we're moving next summer!

Spot on! I think if a person worries more about what design Starbucks chooses for their coffee cups, well, that someone needs to check his/her priorities. There are so many things people could be outraged about and they could use that energy to do some good. Who cares what Starbucks put on their cup or not?

Care about children who won't have food for the Holidays, people who put their lives in danger to cross the sea to have a better life, homeless veterans who will be out in the cold this December. The list could go on and on. *sigh*

Thoughts?   And feel free to merge this if needed....This is 2-3 hours east of where the Duggars live.

http://katv.com/news/local/arkansas-county-loses-lawsuit-challenging-nativity-display

It's not a "war on Christmas", its equal presence for all.  You can't allow one thing on government property and tell everyone else No.  And the woman who filed the initial suit has had all the windows busted at her business, "Rot in Hell" spray painted on her car, various threats.  The comments on Facebook are so....idiotic. Scary town to live in if you aren't part of the crowd!

Mind you my family is Pagan, and not in the "its a fad" kind of way.  I've been practicing 20+ years, my oldest daughter has chosen a Pagan path, and my younger two will have the choice on what they want to believe.  But we also live in a VERY small, mostly Christian town and the harassment we've received has been terrible. Can't tell you how many times I've had to go to the school because my daughter has had her pentacle necklace ripped off (I've replaced 5 (!) chains), whole groups of kids would back her into the lockers and take turns quoting scripture at her. Some girl comes up and tells her she's going to Hell right in front of a teacher and when my daughter laughed and said yeah whatever, I don't believe in Hell, my daughter got detention for "foul language" but the other girl didn't get squat. Thankfully we're moving next summer!

Last Christmas I posted about a situation similar to this one in a small town in NC where a friend of mine lives. Except in that case the lawsuit was filed by a group that wasn't based in the town. There were several posters here who said that it was wrong that outsiders could make a town take down a display like this. I tried to explain that many times it is best for outside groups to do it instead of an individual who lives there because the outside group won't have to deal with the daily consequences of living in a small town where you go against the flow. This case is a perfect example of why it isn't a bad idea for an outside group to deal with cases like this. 

I was always jealous @ Christmas time. I'm Jewish & I always wished I could have a Christmas tree in my house. To this day I love looking @ Christmas lights. 

Now I find myself facing evidence of an actual war on Chanukah.  I went to the local Reform synagogue for their 2nd annual Chanukah bazaar.  I walk into the social hall--and the first booth near the entrance is selling Christmas tree ornaments.  If I wanted Christmas tree ornaments for my one non-Jewish friend that collects them, I could buy them at literally every store in the tri-county area.  Seriously, who approved that? My FIL is a member there and he is going to talk to the rabbi about it, because that's inexcusable to me.

Now I find myself facing evidence of an actual war on Chanukah.  I went to the local Reform synagogue for their 2nd annual Chanukah bazaar.  I walk into the social hall--and the first booth near the entrance is selling Christmas tree ornaments.  If I wanted Christmas tree ornaments for my one non-Jewish friend that collects them, I could buy them at literally every store in the tri-county area.  Seriously, who approved that? My FIL is a member there and he is going to talk to the rabbi about it, because that's inexcusable to me.

that is really bizarre! i wonder how much business they didn't do that day lol

I'm Christian and the thing that really cracks me up (or makes me pull my hair out) - more than the (highly stupid) "war on Christmas" - is the common complaint that nonbelievers are "taking the Christ out of Christmas." You know, those horrid people who say "Happy Holidays" rather than pronouncing the name of Christ in CHRISTmas.

Think about this. How in the heck can anyone really take Christ out of Christmas? If I don't say Christ's name, does this make him not have been born? Is he that fragile that his name must be verbally spoken or he won't exist?

What kind of God do these people think they worship?

I'm Christian and the thing that really cracks me up (or makes me pull my hair out) - more than the (highly stupid) "war on Christmas" - is the common complaint that nonbelievers are "taking the Christ out of Christmas." You know, those horrid people who say "Happy Holidays" rather than pronouncing the name of Christ in CHRISTmas.

Think about this. How in the heck can anyone really take Christ out of Christmas? If I don't say Christ's name, does this make him not have been born? Is he that fragile that his name must be verbally spoken or he won't exist?

What kind of God do these people think they worship?

So true!

Not to mention the fact that Christmas was kinda, sorta, blatantly ripped off from Pagan traditions. Because it's easier to convert people to your way of thinking if you keep certain things familiar enough.

Mild correction to my earlier post:

That should have been "Dear small minority of asshole Christians," not just "Dear Christians."

:pb_lol:

Thank you.

I usually have my Christmas Tree up before Thanksgiving and I watch 24 hours of A Christmas Story every year.....but even I was seriously PO'ed when I went into Target on October 29th to pick up some Halloween decorations for our office party, and found that the Halloween section had already been replaced by miles and miles of inflatable Christmas lawn decorations. Which makes me wonder what the nuts who find a plain red cup to be an abomination would think about this...

yoda.thumb.jpg.050e74ce24af6978c0b721f3b

Oh, my!  Seriously defrauding Yoda with the angle of his light saber,  do I find.

Thank you.

It was the amendment to "Dear small minority of asshole christians" that I loved - and the software wouldn't let me quote..But thank you for that!

I hate Christians. I really do. I'm a Christian and I even make fun of my religion.  It's complete bs. I just watched the trailer for God's not dead 2. Gee how many times can god die? Why do Christians want to be oppressed so badly. I love the bible reloaded. Go check out their YouTube page. It's hilarious. 

not true but I do agree Christians need to stop complaining.  I wish Starbucks would accommodate Muslims or Jewish people.  Just so Christians can get passed off.

Really? Are you even slightly aware of how much you sound like a D.Trump rip-off? Do you also wear his wig when you write this kind of posts?

And the second sentence doesn´t even make any fucking sense in context! You are a Christian, but you hate your religion...? WTF, why are you christian then?!

Since a while now, especially since Nov. 13th, I am SO FREAKIN`SICK of people blatantly hating on each other´s religion. Or not-religion. Or think hate is a significant part of a religious confession.

Stop that. Really. That´s my Christmas wish.

Further on this topic, I am quite happy the translation of the word Christmas means literally "blessed or holy nights" in my language. Which also fits the corrects timeline with several religions having special or holy nights around this time of the year (hy pagans! Thanks for the fir tree idea btw! ).

It was the amendment to "Dear small minority of asshole christians" that I loved - and the software wouldn't let me quote..But thank you for that!

You're welcome. I try to be fair and balanced when I comment on stuff like this, but I screw up sometimes. I figured clarifying was the only proper thing to do at that point - because it really is a minority of assholes who cause the biggest stink over shit like this (get it?!?! :pb_lol:)

(snip)

Further on this topic, I am quite happy the translation of the word Christmas means literally "blessed or holy nights" in my language. Which also fits the corrects timeline with several religions having special or holy nights around this time of the year (hy pagans! Thanks for the fir tree idea btw! ).

And that small factoid cracks me up every year, when my one religiously zealous relative starts her annual campaign to keep "Christ" in Christmas. It never gets old to tell her that there is no "Christ" in "Weihnachten". That's my yearly contribution to the war on Christmas. :kitty-shifty:

Really? Are you even slightly aware of how much you sound like a D.Trump rip-off? Do you also wear his wig when you write this kind of posts?

And the second sentence doesn´t even make any fucking sense in context! You are a Christian, but you hate your religion...? WTF, why are you christian then?!

Since a while now, especially since Nov. 13th, I am SO FREAKIN`SICK of people blatantly hating on each other´s religion. Or not-religion. Or think hate is a significant part of a religious confession.

Stop that. Really. That´s my Christmas wish.

Sorry wrong  choice of words. I hate some followers of my religion.  You know the Christians who claim persecution,  shame women, poor folks, etc. The Christians that use the bible to harm people instead of helping. I myself am getting tired of it. Tired of some Christians complaining how others won't allow them to pray in public schools (which Is false) say merry Christmas,  or complain that children in public schools learning about different religions. I love Christianity. Then there are many Christians who look down on Muslims in this country. I'm a Christian. But some followers make followers like me look bad. I respect and love others. I love and resp other religions. I don't care about a cup or my kids learning about the world.

Archived