IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Pt 7 - Y'all Wanna Pay for My Vacation?

happy atheist

Shouldn't Izzy be on solid foods by now? Mother's milk is low in iron. My last baby was hi risk. She was in the nicu but when I took her home, the Doc. said  give her  a little cereal, if she seems to need it .I did at about 3 weeks & she was fine. And Izzy's a big, strapping boy.

Solids actually aren't recommended anymore until baby is at least 6 months old. My boy was huge but breastfed and gained weight steadily. I didn't start solids til 6-7 months and even then he didn't get much of it. 

I think solids are more for fun/practice than anything at this age although I think some doctors disagree.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm the states you can stay on your parent's medical insurance whether you're married or not, or in college or not until age 26. "Obamacare" plans MAY be cheaper than your employer sponsored plan, but that's not always the case. You also have to weigh the cost of the premiums against the amount of the deductible, copays, coinsurance, etc. in order to truly determine which is the cheaper plan overall.

under the ACA any members under 26 rather married or not can be under their parents insurance no matter the stats with the same that an insurance company can't refuse to cover you. The only exception I believe is if your work offers you insurance.  

Did you have a c-section?

I was the same way I had 5 years of infertility, 5 miscarriages lost a daughter at birth.  Wit ivf got pregnant delivered my daughter who had health issues her first 10 months and I figured I didn't need to worry about Bc because I never got pregnant on my own lol I have the bills to prove it as infertility and ivf were not covered back then.  After 36 hours of labor I had a c section.  When my daughter was 10 months old I went to get blood work to tie my tubes and sure enough came back I was pregnant.  So back to back c sections and honestly the dr never said a word about waiting to get pregnant again.  Not anything past the normal 8 weeks with the miscarriages or the loss of my daughter things were different then.  Would I have chose to have them that close if I had a choice probably not lol not easy to handle them that close, with a husband that traveled for work and daughter with health issues

I'm a big fan of letting babies choose what and when to start eating solids. It's how humans have done it for thousands of years. I did purées and stuff with my oldest, but the next two I just fed family food chopped finely (or chewed in my own mouth then given to them). I plan to do the same with this baby. It wouldn't surprise me if Jill is doing baby led weaning - it's a bit of a trend at the moment, and she leans towards semi crunchy parenting trends.

Also, I've never seen the Duggars endorse Scamaritan or seen anything to indicate that they are members. They have mentioned in the past that they have a good plan that doesn't charge extra per child. It's also been speculated that they still have insurance from JimBob's time as a State Representative .

Michelle said they had "very good insurance " and that almost all of Josie's extensive medical bill was covered.

I don't know how it works for state govt but I wonder if JB, JChelle and the children are still covered by the plan JB had when he was in the state congress? Carry over benefits? Just a thought.

Baby led solids would not worked for my son. He has had gagging/swallowing issues since day 1 of introducing things to him. He is 2 now and still has trouble. The OT thinks that as his speech improves, his feeding issues should resolve. Fingers crossed! I really don't want to have to do a swallow study (barium and x-rays...ugh.)

I hated that women on the mommy forum I was on were always like "just give him foods...he'll figure it out." Um...no. Even now, my son struggles with various food related things like taking bites and stuff. I am happy that the OT said we are doing the right thing by cutting stuff small for him. Giving him more than he can handle is not a good idea.

Those were cute videos.  I agree that the blanket on the floor is most likely because it's a tile floor, and hopefully not because they are blanket training.  I noticed Derrick was behind Izzy when he pulled himself up, ready to catch him when he lost his balance.  That's such a nice normal protective parent thing to do.  I still think he's an idiot.

my response on Pickles earlier in regard to the videos:

Anndd we have proof positive of blanket training. It's not just the spanking when they reach, she probably staged the toy in the crawling video just as she staged herself in the one where he pulls up. Yes I know we all have our ways to encourage them to progress & blankets on tile floors are nothing unusual but considering their lifestyle, I'd say this is a clear example that she is following what her mother taught her.

IMHO there's no reason she wouldn't blanket train, it's what she believes to be normal, I don't believe Derick would question her  judgement. It isn't all swatting the kid... it's a method of keeping them in sight & safe on their blanket while you cook or do whatever. My mom used to say my sister would sit on the blanket & look over the edge like the world dropped off right there.

If there are blanket training Izzy, that's just lazy parenting IMHO. You've got 2 unemployed adults in the house (3 if Cathy is still there?) and one child. Surely those are enough pairs of eyes to watch the kid and make sure he doesn't get into trouble... unless I'm missing the point of it entirely?

If there are blanket training Izzy, that's just lazy parenting IMHO. You've got 2 unemployed adults in the house (3 if Cathy is still there?) and one child. Surely those are enough pairs of eyes to watch the kid and make sure he doesn't get into trouble... unless I'm missing the point of it entirely?

Isn't the point of it to teach them ~self-control~? And also, how else are they going to make sure that Izzy is the perfectly obedient kid and doesn't rebel! :roll:

I thought those videos were clear evidence that they are blanket training. Blanket training doesn't mean they don't want him to learn to crawl or to pull to stand.  It means that when the blanket is out and down he is expected to stay on it.  Since this is the very beginning of mobility this would also be the beginning of shaping that behavior.  It seemed to me that they were intentional about not asking him to leave the blanket space. 

The point is about having obedient children.   There is a common phrase in fundie-land that I can't quite remember but it's basically first time obedience.  Those arrows in your quiver need to be sharpened so that they can be um.. soldiers for God.. or something ,

This is making the rounds on another Duggar thread.  It's not about blanket trainning, but it's relivent to parenting methods I suppose. 

rod-1.gif

And a quick google found me this blog where the poster uses the Duggars suggestion to blanket train: http://lifewiththelittlers.blogspot.com/2012/03/blanket-training-101.html

And another from a blogger I believe some FJers follow:

http://www.yestheyareallours.com/2015/02/blanket-training-101.html

with the quote "There's no need to start training a baby to a blanket until they begin to become mobile. The exact age will vary widely, due to differences in development.  I started training most of my babies to a blanket at around 7 to 9 months of age.
"

I still don't see how him being on a blanket = blanket training. My son was on a blanket pretty much all the time as a baby/infant and we didn't blanket train.

The fact that I've seen Izzy in a pack n play sways me towards them not blanket training. Because when they need him safe and 'on his own' they probably stick him in the pack n play (like many, many parents.)

I'm not convinced that they are blanket training. But Jill does strike me as the most likely to adopt fundie childrearing practices. Sweet smile, cheerful voice, and bringing down the rod all at the same time. *shudder*  

I am fascinated that people are giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one.  I personally think it's a given that they will blanket train.  For me they are blanket training until proven otherwise. 

Michelle would expect her to blanket train. It's the norm in their family.  

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/p/faqs.html

"Q: What is blanket training?
A:  Starting when her children are toddlers, Michelle teaches them to play quietly with a single toy for short periods of time, often while sitting on a blanket. Blanket training teaches small children to exercise self-control in any situation (with or without a blanket). As the kids grow older, Michelle begins training them to sit quietly without a toy. Click here to read more about the process Michelle uses to teach her 19 kids to be "quiet and still.""

As someone who has worked with babies for many years (I truly consider myself an expert), I just can't wrap my mind around blanket training. It frightens me that people with so many children have convinced themselves that this practice is acceptable. 

Also, children are to be taught, guided, etc. Animals are trained. 

On that brochure posted by Charliemae, a few posts up (haven't figured out the quoting function): did anybody else here howl at the "excellent gift idea" that was listed?

If someone gave me a stick or rod as a "gift" for training my unruly CatChildren...well, the local emergency room would have another "INTERESTING foreign body removal" story to tell.  (Assuming I didn't turn the rod to splinters first, whacking it all over the givers.) 

I'm a big fan of letting babies choose what and when to start eating solids. It's how humans have done it for thousands of years. I did purées and stuff with my oldest, but the next two I just fed family food chopped finely (or chewed in my own mouth then given to them). I plan to do the same with this baby. It wouldn't surprise me if Jill is doing baby led weaning - it's a bit of a trend at the moment, and she leans towards semi crunchy parenting trends.

If you have caries bacteria your baby will have it too.

On that brochure posted by Charliemae, a few posts up (haven't figured out the quoting function): did anybody else here howl at the "excellent gift idea" that was listed?

If someone gave me a stick or rod as a "gift" for training my unruly CatChildren...well, the local emergency room would have another "INTERESTING foreign body removal" story to tell.  (Assuming I didn't turn the rod to splinters first, whacking it all over the givers.) 

IA! if someone gave it to me to train my dog, THEY would get blanket trained.

If you have caries bacteria your baby will have it too.

thats a popular controversy, a newer study said it wont only have your bacteria but also your antibodies.. so they suggest that it wont make youtr child sick if you for example "clean" a dummy with your mouth, or share food.

Years ago when I was watching the first Duggar specials I was also deeply into Mothering.com which is a very "crunchy" forum.  Back than I thought Michelle was super crunchy the same way some see Jill now.  Michelle Breastfed exclusively for six months, she baby wore (poorly and infrequently), she co slept (as in they kept the infants in room with them), they used gentle discipline (at least that's how the baby voice read in the early specials... ew)

I don't think anyone is going to call Michelle crunchy now.  I don't think Jill is crunchy either.  

*I think the term crunchy is annoying

thats a popular controversy, a newer study said it wont only have your bacteria but also your antibodies.. so they suggest that it wont make youtr child sick if you for example "clean" a dummy with your mouth, or share food.

It won't make him sick but it will give him caries. 

I dont think they have proof that jill is blanket training already.. They are obv doing a little research s she might have looked at that too. besides the younger kids they didnt get blanket trained did they?

The idea of chewing food and putting it into my child's mouth gives me the heebie jeebies. 

Same. :my_sick: It also gives me some future Norman Bates vibes.

It won't make him sick but it will give him caries. 

Is this true for adults, as well? By making out with someone with cavities, for instance? I've never heard of this, and I'm alarmed.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived