IGNORED

71st anniversary of Sonderkommando revolt

2xx1xy1JD

You know how some fundies and MRA types keep saying that we need men to be in charge, because one day we made need them to get off the couch and fight off Nazis?

Well, 71 years ago in Auschwitz-Birkenau, a group of concentration camp inmates DID fight the Nazis....and women were a key part of the plot.

www.ushmm.org/learn/timeline-of-events/ ... itz-revolt

A group of women that worked in a munitions plants slowly smuggled out gunpowder to another women who was part of the resistance. The gunpowder was eventually smuggled to the Sonderkommando, who were the men who worked in the cremetoria. They managed to destroy one cremetorium in the revolt. 4 of the 5 women involved were hung by the Nazis. The only surviving member was Anna Heilman, who was Ester Wajcblum's sister. www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/bi ... ilman.html I had the privilege to hear about their story directly from Anna in 1993.

What strikes me is how they endured torture for weeks without ever betray their friend. It would have been only human, but they were stronger and better tha that.

I am happy that their names and their stories are remembered, but I cannot describe how sad it makes me the fact that their names and their stories are the only remains of those marvellous and admirable young women. The atrocity that they lived is difficult even to think.

• 1 month later...

I worked with a few sonderkommando survivors,in a professional setting when i just started working 16 years ago..  I am still in awe for their courage , strenght , and survival skills these people had  , their stories are heartbreaking at best ...

Archived