IGNORED

Tenn. county begging god to spare them his wrath

doggie

What happened, did they pass this resolution or not?

Edit: replying my own question.

UPDATE: (WBIR - MARYVILLE) The Blount County Commission on Tuesday night declined to take up an agenda that featured a resolution regarding gay marriage.

The quick 10-5 vote during the commission agenda meeting left some in the audience unhappy. They'd come prepared for a debate

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/10/ ... /73454190/

Commissioner Karen Miller talks in the video here:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news ... s_64980101

The resolution’s sponsor, Commissioner Karen Miller, said she was blindsided by the vote, but will “most likely†attempt to resubmit it for a future meeting.

“I’ve never experienced this before, for a meeting to be adjourned before it even started,†Miller said. “It’s not fair to the citizens. They’ve come all this way to speak and they should be allowed to speak. … I think it’s very unjust.â€

Outside the meeting, commission Chairman Jerome Moon noted that Miller is welcome to submit the item to the agenda committee again, but she’ll still need the votes of 10 fellow commissioners to make any headway.

I forget, exactly where in the Bible does it expressly forbid same-sex marriage?

If gays are an abomination either way, I don't understand why it matters if they're married or not. They're not saying God's okay with being gay as long as you don't marry so why would it even make a difference other than just making gay life more difficult

I like how a county commission is going to take up the issue of gay marriage, even though they don't have any legal say-so regarding the matter. It makes me feel really confident about their competence.

I am seriously confused. I thought I understood the separation of church and state in the USA (I am not American) but this seems to utterly ignore any such separation, and use elected office to promote a religious stance. Why isn't he being called out by constitutionalists? Or salaried legal professionals in the employ of the state? I do not understand why he can promulgate his religious beliefs through his elected office. I am not trying to be contentious here, I am truly bemused. Can someone enlighten me?

I'm one of the oldsters here, and I have never in my life seen so much religious intrusion into American government, even back in the days when a quick Our Father at the beginning of the school day was standard practice.

I like how a county commission is going to take up the issue of gay marriage, even though they don't have any legal say-so regarding the matter. It makes me feel really confident about their competence.

Because they follow Joel McDurmon's ideas?

americanvision.org/4868/county-rights-the-ideal-of-freedom-in-government/

The fundamental unit of government was the county. The so-called anti-federalists during the Constitutional ratification period argued for local sovereignty on the part of their States, as opposed to the nationalists (improperly named “federalistsâ€) who wanted a strong central national government with direct jurisdiction, taxation, and military power upon the people (bypassing the State and local governments as convenient). Men such as Patrick Henry rightly argued that a truly federal system would only allow a national government to interact with the States, not the counties, townships, towns, or people. In a truly federal system, only counties dealt with people, States only dealt with counties, and the Constitution should only deal with States. They were obviously fighting for States’ rights in a particular context; but the principle for which they stood goes much deeper—all the way to the county and smaller. And long prior to the Constitution, this is mainly the way American was founded: county sovereignty.

AND

ikewise, civil law was county law mostly. I can assure you, gay marriage would not be acceptable in my county. There would be no deliberation about it, and the first judge who peeped in favor of it would be voted out in a heartbeat if not impeached on the spot. Let that liberal joker move to one of those really blue counties on the west coast, not in my back yard. Instead of having to win a washed-out general election stacked against all forces of politics and media and big money across the whole country, our grass roots would be the ultimate voice in law and leadership. Your society would reflect your values, instead of being weaseled by special interests and spineless politicians and activist judges.

I don't know what he's been smoking, but he's been smoking a lot of it.

Rule by local gang is what it sounds like to me.

Bad things happen to other people and not them.

Of course, if bad things happen to them, it's just God testing their faith, so maybe not?

That's pretty much what I was about to same. It's only God punishing people when it happens somewhere far away for these people.

not quite sure what is going on but something is.

http://bigstory.ap.org/3b0cdcc912874c2d ... aign=share

MARYVILLE, Tennessee (AP) — When commissioners in a Tennessee county scrapped an agenda that included a resolution asking for God's mercy despite ongoing gay marriages, they also effectively canceled their meeting, but officials have a workaround for that.

Blount County Commission Chairman Jerome Moon tells the Knoxville News Sentinel (http://bit.ly/1PiHPQv) that Mayor Ed Mitchell is expected to schedule a special-called commission meeting to deal with items such as budgetary matters.

Moon said since Mitchell will call the meeting, he will set the agenda and "county government will go forward."

The committee that decides which items the commission will consider voted 10-5 Tuesday night not to accept the agenda that included the resolution imploring God not to smite the town like Sodom and Gomorrah.

Moon said Commissioner Karen Miller can submit her resolution again.

Archived