IGNORED

TLC sponsor list for contacting or boycotting

luv2laugh

I well remember when Survivor first aired. I did not watch it but knew of it as it suddenly was being talked about everywhere. It was one of the first wildly popular reality shows. And I remember being very sad because I could instantly see ramifications of its popularity; that this was going to be a format repeated in infinite ways across all networks to cash in on cheaply produced content with big financial returns. 

I have to admit to liking a handful of reality shows such as Dancing With the Stars and America’s Got Talent. But its formatting is about talent and entertainment, not about trying to outsmart people you’re living with in an apartment or on an island or competing with others to see if you can be the one to win a man/woman’s love. For the most part, I don’t tune in to the majority of reality shows.

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2022 at 7:02 AM, Cam said:

I well remember when Survivor first aired. I did not watch it but knew of it as it suddenly was being talked about everywhere. It was one of the first wildly popular reality shows. And I remember being very sad because I could instantly see ramifications of its popularity; that this was going to be a format repeated in infinite ways across all networks to cash in on cheaply produced content with big financial returns. 

My college sociology professor had us all over to watch an episode of the first season of survivor and discuss it. I never watched it really back then, but NGL I love it these past few years! 

I don't mind the game show style reality shows but most of them seem pointless to me. Except, of course, finding the Duggars/Bates which sent me down fundie rabbithole. I wonder if there are other boards out there devoted to, say, exposing the dangers of some other kind of lifestyle spotlighted by reality tv - like toddler pageants or something?