IGNORED

Fundies….is there nothing they won't treat badly?

browngrl

If I had chickens (which would be fun, but HOA says no), I couldn't kill them either, they'd just become pets :)

Our thinking is that they deserve their retirement years, since they provided us with fresh eggs during their younger years. And the two remaining chickens my mother still has are let out to wander the yard every day. These two stay close to each other, and pretty close to the main house. They are fairly sociable, even coming up the stairs of the back door and peering in the screen door. My sister's German Shepherd and the cats around the property and the chickens all co-exist peacefully. It's a strangely Zen feeling to sit on the back patio and have chickens scratching in the flower beds, the dog laying at your feet and cats wandering around.

I don't think I could kill an animal raised either.

I actually feel less guilty about eating a raised cow vs. supermarket beef. Our cows live a good life before slaughter. They get petted and played with and have a nice big pasture to live happily in. I know their death is also quick and as humane as possible. Of course the way I was raised kn the country was that it's fine to name and get attached to the cows, but to know that they were going to be food at some point.

It's a strangely Zen feeling to sit on the back patio and have chickens scratching in the flower beds, the dog laying at your feet and cats wandering around.

The hens taught your dog? :lol:

IGMC

We did chickens for two years before we did a winter, cross country move. We had too many roosters at first. The farm we bought our chicks from more than happily took back the ones that proved to be roosters. He was in constant need of more roosters to keep his breeding program going.

When we moved, we knew the flock would never survive a three day move in the dead of winter, especially since one hen had managed to hoard a batch of eggs and we had been nurturing her six babies so they could survive the winter. I had a co-worker who raised chickens and ducks and never killed any that stopped laying. It was a HUGE deal to my kids that their tamed and named pet chickens be able to live a long, happy life. So we gave the flock to my co-worker.

I cannot imagine the callousness you teach tender hearted kids with stunts like that!

I have a friend that has a few chickens. She started with 4-5 (now I think she has maybe 10 or so) and one was a particular favorite and she would post pictures of that one from time to time.

She posted a pic of the chicken laying in a dog bed on her desk while she was on the computer and I didn't think she would be able to top that. She was talking about what great pets chickens were, which I'd never really considered before.

Then a while later she posted a pic of the chicken laying down on her bed, with one of her cats curled around the chicken and the dog laying down next to them.

I have a friend that has a few chickens. She started with 4-5 (now I think she has maybe 10 or so) and one was a particular favorite and she would post pictures of that one from time to time.

She posted a pic of the chicken laying in a dog bed on her desk while she was on the computer and I didn't think she would be able to top that. She was talking about what great pets chickens were, which I'd never really considered before.

Then a while later she posted a pic of the chicken laying down on her bed, with one of her cats curled around the chicken and the dog laying down next to them.

I am a dork who really enjoys those types of pictures. I sometimes scroll through pintrest and and send them to my daughters who are in highschool. My oldest had anxiety and is prone to depression, I use them as a little pick me up for her.

I don't think I could butcher a chicken unless I was desperate for food. I guess if you grow up doing it you wouldn't think twice though. If I set a mouse trap in the house, I run upstairs as fast as I can and wont come down until my husband checks them. I tell myself every time that I will be brave and clear it myself, then chicken out.

We had a rooster who took his role as protector of his 4 ladies very seriously. He'd never attack any of us, but if I was changing their water, or putting feed in the coop, he'd follow me and watch what I was doing very carefully indeed. After I went out, he'd sound a little alarm, and I presume, sound an alert so the ladies knew they were safe again. They pretty much ignored him and kept doing whatever they were doing, but he felt important.

Why do people do that to animals, even chickens? I've seen too many puppies and kittens that people just dumped on the side of the road in rural areas. We had one dropped off by our house a few weeks ago, a tiny little kitten who was scared and crying for his mom. We bottle-fed him for a few days before we found him a new home. He was such a sweet little guy that it was especially hard to understand how someone could do that to him, but it's wrong to mistreat any animal.

Archived