IGNORED

Fundies….is there nothing they won't treat badly?

browngrl

Occasionally I read this blog: mississippimamaof7.blogspot.ca

Mostly she just posts stuff about her children and grandchildren - rather banal stuff but on August 18 she made a post that made me feel sick to my stomach.

It seems she had a rooster she did not like so her husband drove the rooster 50 miles away and abandoned it. She called it "freeing" the rooster and acted like it was amusing/no big deal. "Greg set our stupid rooster free last week. The rooster had a terrible, possessive attitude over our chicken coop. He didn't want us anywhere near the coop. He had to go. He was set free about 50 miles from here".

Maybe I am too sensitive about animals and I guess many people could care less about a rooster but farm animals abandoned like this do very badly. IMO it is more humane to quickly kill them rather than letting them suffer as they usually do when abandoned. I just can't imagine dumping an animal like that, but hey I'm a godless feminist bitch not a sweet Christian grandmother.

If some of them have no qualms about abandoning children, I'm not at all surprised that they'd abandon animals.

As someone who actually raises chickens, 50 ish flock now with OMG two roosters, that isn't how you do it!! WTF is that rooster going to do alone in the wild, well, get eaten by a fox or coyotes or whatever, while I could have had a nice bit of dinner from him.

I have had bad roosters, too dominate, spurred me, flew at me when gathering eggs, but I have also had the best of the best, as I have now, they are protective of their ladies, watch for hawks, owls, etc., and let the ladies know when there is a problem...and in closing I would like to drive this woman and her husband 50 miles from home and drop them off, nope 150 miles in the wilderness with no clothes, food or water!!

As I was reading that paragraph I thought "freeing" must be some fundie code for killing it. Because what kind of idiot would release a rooster into the wild? Then finished reading the paragraph.

If you're going to have livestock, you need to take care of them. Even the "problem" ones. That means being able to humanely end their lives. What do these people do with layer hens that are no longer producing?

WTF.

I'm with the poster who wants to drive her to the middle of nowhere and "set her free."

Assholes. The both of them.

Why would you abandon a roster instead of eating it or selling it? really weird

That was my reaction as well. Growing up, my great-grandmother had a "problematic" rooster that enjoyed attacking people, so she made it into dinner. Boom, two birds, one stone. :animals-chickencatch: :animals-chickencatch:

As someone who actually raises chickens, 50 ish flock now with OMG two roosters, that isn't how you do it!! WTF is that rooster going to do alone in the wild, well, get eaten by a fox or coyotes or whatever, while I could have had a nice bit of dinner from him.

I have had bad roosters, too dominate, spurred me, flew at me when gathering eggs, but I have also had the best of the best, as I have now, they are protective of their ladies, watch for hawks, owls, etc., and let the ladies know when there is a problem...and in closing I would like to drive this woman and her husband 50 miles from home and drop them off, nope 150 miles in the wilderness with no clothes, food or water!!

In my experience "bad roosters" make the best coq au vin. If they're a couple years old they may have to marinate in red wine for at least a week, but it is so worth it. Alternatively, there's always chicken soup. Geeze, with 7 kids you'd think she wouldn't want to waste food like that.

That was my reaction as well. Growing up, my great-grandmother had a "problematic" rooster that enjoyed attacking people, so she made it into dinner. Boom, two birds, one stone. :animals-chickencatch: :animals-chickencatch:

No kidding. We had quite a few roosters over the years. A couple were practically pets (I could carry them around), a few on the belligerent end, but only one that finally chased one person too many. He made a pretty good dinner. We certainly didn't drive 100 freaking miles to get rid of him! Hell, we don't go that far when we relocate the damn squirrels (long story, we're in town and can't shoot them, so it's relocation).

"Freeing" a tame animal is taking the wimpy way out. What the hell does she think happened, he found a harem of wild hens to live with? No, he either starved to death or was dinner for the first raccoon or hawk that came along. If an animal isn't working out, you either re-home it, or get a spine and take care of things.

In my experience "bad roosters" make the best coq au vin. If they're a couple years old they may have to marinate in red wine for at least a week, but it is so worth it. Alternatively, there's always chicken soup. Geeze, with 7 kids you'd think she wouldn't want to waste food like that.

There are pictures of a rooster and some chickens. Possibly two roosters. I'm sad now. At least give him a humane death, or rehome. Ugh.

There's a post about her moving to Georgia and filling for a new driver's license that takes a dig at undocumented people and showcases how ignorant this waste of a human life is. Also she's lazy, as she talks about getting dizzy blowing bubbles and needing to buy a machine to do it for her.

What do these people do with layer hens that are no longer producing?

My mother raises laying hens, but refuses to eat chickens she's raised. Her nonproducers keep eating and live out their natural life span.

My mother is a just a little :cray-cray:

When I was young, we moved from the city to the country, and in time, got several chickens including one rooster. That rooster was one of the mean one, would fly at you when you entered the coop to feed them and collect eggs, and my sister has several faint scars to this day on her lower legs from being pecked by that bugger.

My dad just called up the feed store and asked if he could bring him in, and they said yes. I presume the rooster was then sold to someone else.

Crocoduck - my parents (and now a couple of my siblings who also have chickens) are like your mom. We had hens for the egg production. When they stopped laying, my dad moved them over to the "retirement home," which was just an different coop on the property, where they lived out their remaining days until they died of natural causes, or occasionally, from a fox getting into the henhouse. One day a wealthy neighbor who lived up the road stopped and asked if she could purchase any of our older hens for butchering, and we were quietly horrified and politely said "no." LOL. City folk. You can take us out of the city, for 50 years or more, and we'll still retain some of that citified mindset.

Given how fundies metaphorically spit all over Jesus' message, I suppose we shouldn't be shocked about how they treat anyone or anything else.

Why release a rooster? They aren't wild animals! Just cook and eat it, its more humane than letting it get eaten by foxes out in the wild or slowly starve.

While I agree that what they did was cruel and stupid, I do find it slightly funny that there seems to be the impression that death at the hands of a human is somehow more humane and kinder than death at the hands of a predator.

Foxes, coyotes, etc. will generally give their prey a very swift death...swifter than I could ever dole out! They're pretty efficient, since a quick kill minimizes risk for a predator.

Mr. Feathers probably never saw it coming.

While I agree that what they did was cruel and stupid, I do find it slightly funny that there seems to be the impression that death at the hands of a human is somehow more humane and kinder than death at the hands of a predator.

Foxes, coyotes, etc. will generally give their prey a very swift death...swifter than I could ever dole out! They're pretty efficient, since a quick kill minimizes risk for a predator.

Mr. Feathers probably never saw it coming.

There's also the risk that the rooster won't die at the hands of a predator, and instead die of exposure or starvation.

Crocoduck - my parents (and now a couple of my siblings who also have chickens) are like your mom. We had hens for the egg production. When they stopped laying, my dad moved them over to the "retirement home," which was just an different coop on the property, where they lived out their remaining days until they died of natural causes, or occasionally, from a fox getting into the henhouse. One day a wealthy neighbor who lived up the road stopped and asked if she could purchase any of our older hens for butchering, and we were quietly horrified and politely said "no." LOL. City folk. You can take us out of the city, for 50 years or more, and we'll still retain some of that citified mindset.

EmmieJ, I think it's really sweet you have a retirement home for your chickens. I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, so I'm definitely on chickens' side. This is just the first time I've ever heard of anyone else letting hens die of natural causes.

EmmieJ, I think it's really sweet you have a retirement home for your chickens. I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, so I'm definitely on chickens' side. This is just the first time I've ever heard of anyone else letting hens die of natural causes.

They have actual retirement homes for chickens

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/us/ne ... ement.html

If I had chickens (which would be fun, but HOA says no), I couldn't kill them either, they'd just become pets :)

Are we related?

My grandmother had a bad rooster once when my mother and aunt were little. He would chase them around and peck at them when they tried to get the eggs. Finally, grandma reached her breaking point dealing with him and they had him for dinner that very night.

My grandmother could have dispatched (and did!) a chicken faster than any hawk could have. She had a chopping block outside her back door and a very sharp ax.

Myself, I'm a vegetarian and, if I had chickens, they'd be pets once their laying life was over.

Why do these disgusting types seem to move near me? Judging by clues, she is about 2 hrs north. :ew:

Archived