IGNORED

Baby shower for Elissa + What Some Might Call a Vacation!

albanuadh_1

So they scaled 3 14ers in one day? I call bullshit on that one.

Only the kids did. But wow. I don't have experience with 14ers, how long would it take to scale just one?? And I'm not sure, but I can't find Mount Cameron listed as a separate 14er on Wikipedia. Although, having checked elsewhere, Mt Cameron is 1 metre less than Mt Lincoln. I think they may not be separate mountains, i.e. you can just go across to Cameron from Lincoln, although don't take my word for it.

I found a thing about Mt Cameron: summitpost.org/mount-cameron/152770

IT ISN'T EVEN CONSIDERED A "TRUE" MOUNTAIN/14ER. So they DIDN'T hike 3 14ers. Maxwells! You bore false witness, breaking the ninth commandment! Tut tut :nenner: :nenner: :nenner:

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long skirts + steep rocky incline = accident waiting to happen.

Jesse reminds me of Leonard from The Big Bang Theory.

They just scaled Mount Democrat. OH THE IRONY :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wondered why some of the 14ers they'd scaled were named after American universities... turns out there's a whole range called Collegiate Peaks :D

As close as any of the younger Maxwells will come to university. :(

It's probably allowed only after a long hike.

Do they dole out s'mores like they do animal crackers? Do they get half a marshmallow? Does Steve break the small squares of chocolate into quarters?

Woah, Mary's skirt is short! She's showing some calf. How did she get away with that??

We were talking about this on another Maxwell thread, I think the one that became known as the "Maxwell Greatest Hits" thread, and someone posted a link to one of the articles. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I found their modesty guidelines somewhere. I think their skirt guideline is mid-calf, i.e. that's the minimum. In Mary's graduation post she was wearing a mid-calf skirt. Thinking about it, it's probably easier to find ankle-length skirts than mid-calf ones. It might have been the article where it's mentioned Teri took Sarah to the airport to criticise people's immodest clothing, but I don't know.

Woah, Mary's skirt is short! She's showing some calf. How did she get away with that??

Meanwhile, the men can wear tight and defrauding shirts. Makes perfect sense, especially since women never think about sex.

So they scaled 3 14ers in one day? I call bullshit on that one.

Yes, and bragging about it was so humble. :naughty:

Can we stop for a minute and talk about the fact that they summited Mount Democrat? :lol:

Cameron is a bona fide 14-er. While I've never heard of summiting three peaks in one day, two that are in the Front Range, Grays and Torreys, are usually summited together, whether permitting. There is a saddle between them with a 500 foot elevation drop and then gain again.

I have to say it...summiting a 14-er at 60 is an achievement, especially coming from a lower elevation. Even with the required stamina, it's hell on old knees coming down.

Yes, and bragging about it was so humble. :naughty:

Can we stop for a minute and talk about the fact that they summited Mount Democrat? :lol:

Yes I thought that they climbed Mount Democrat was quite ironic myself. Is there a Mount Republican?

At least Sarah got to go on and hike with the rest of 'the kids' this year and not have to stick with Mom and Dad like last year.

Back to the pic of Terie in her bedroom packing for the trip: we have a better view of the computer monitor we discussed before. It clearly shows it sitting on top of a shoe box on top of a larger box. I don't understand. Why are they being cheap on a stand for that big monitor? It looks like it could easily tip over.

Cameron is a bona fide 14-er. While I've never heard of summiting three peaks in one day, two that are in the Front Range, Grays and Torreys, are usually summited together, whether permitting. There is a saddle between them with a 500 foot elevation drop and then gain again.

I have to say it...summiting a 14-er at 60 is an achievement, especially coming from a lower elevation. Even with the required stamina, it's hell on old knees coming down.

Hmm, that website I found said that the saddle between Cameron and Lincoln is less than 300ft which is apparently the minimum required for it to be considered a 14er in its own right. I've checked other sources and they appear to agree. Mt Cameron is also 1 ft less in height than Lincoln. But then again I'm no hiking expert. Correct me if I'm wrong :D

Teri has done a lot of 14er summits, so I guess she's used to them by now. It'd be harder for a non-experienced 60 year old to scale a 14er than an experienced person.

I'm just shocked at the change in Sarah's mood in the past few blog posts. She has had a vibrant, lively tone to her writing. It's a marked contrast to the laconic, ponderous tone that her posts have had since last Winter. I assume that this is entirely related to her jubilation at getting to surprise Teri with What Some Might Call a Vacation, but it's even a striking change from similar WSMCaV posts last year.

Perhaps it's environmental. If Teri has had a shift in mood due to finishing up her 30 Years of Educational Martyrdom, the whole temperament of the house may be dramatically better.

Long skirts + steep rocky incline = accident waiting to happen.

Jesse reminds me of Leonard from The Big Bang Theory.

Bet that if a skirt-wearer did have an accident, we'd never hear about it!

I wasn't going to endanger my emotional health by looking at Maxunwell's blog today, but Jesse as Leonard? I'm going in. Dagnab it, Sparkles!!!!

I don"t really know if "14 er" is a word or why Teri would have the time of her life climbing one. She's done it before. Every year. Also, Sarah titled the post "a Maxwell 14 er." So full of themselves. Sometimes it's just gah, get over yourselves! But oh, they're so humble right?

On the post about the drive they talked about enjoying the ponds and Steve having his weekly meetings, what do you think that means? Meetings with the kids? Business meetings, so I guess calls?

Back to the pic of Terie in her bedroom packing for the trip: we have a better view of the computer monitor we discussed before. It clearly shows it sitting on top of a shoe box on top of a larger box. I don't understand. Why are they being cheap on a stand for that big monitor? It looks like it could easily tip over.

It looks like they are using it as a stand up desk.

On the post about the drive they talked about enjoying the ponds and Steve having his weekly meetings, what do you think that means? Meetings with the kids? Business meetings, so I guess calls?

He has a weekly meeting with each "child," to make sure he's still got a stranglehold on their hearts.

He has a weekly meeting with each "child," to make sure he's still got a stranglehold on their hearts.

That's what I suspected.

He also has those weekly meetings with that business start-up class. I wonder how many people signed up.

Archived