IGNORED

Free Anna Duggar and the M Kids - Part 2 - Merge

happy atheist

Lucky thing my BIL and SIL didn't  have a gender reveal party -or a baby shower - for their first, just quietly told family and friends it was a girl.  Also lucky they are the least organised new parents I know - they had bought one pair of pink socks, a car seat and put up the cot, and that was it.  Basically all they'd done was choose a name.

They got a big shock when the baby was born with unexpected boy bits.    Understandably it did take two days to choose a name for him!  Lucky the baby has a doting auntie who rushed out and bought boy clothes for him.  Three years later and pregnant with #2 they opted not to ask the sex and ended up with a baby girl, used the original name, and those pink socks!  Plus little pink outfits from various relatives which looked like they'd been stored for a while, lol :)

No need for boy clothes for a newborn. He can wear any clothes, and pink socks too! Shocking, I know.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rushed out and bought boy clothes for him because they'd bought NO clothes, just those pink socks. Apart from what they were given, he worn only hospital nighties for the first month (they were from a friend who worked in a hospital which was no longer supplying babies with nighties, the mums had to bring their own clothes.)

My point was more that with the trend to announce the sex and have a shower, there is often a lot of clothes and accessories in the "correct" colour before the baby is born, which is a shame when the ultrasound is wrong.  Sexist I know, but while I was happy to dress my daughter in boys pjs, I didn't dress my son in pink.

Yes Anna's life has just blown up. And my feeling is that although she continues to drink the kool-aid, she was sold a real bill of goods with Joshley. So I feel badly for her. I wish her the best, but in the midst of duggieland, who knows what that will look like. 

Agreed. She was totally sold a bill of goods. Who better to match the Sex Pest with, than the daughter in a family doing the prison ministry thing?  I'd be surprised if there wasn't pressure on Anna to forgive Josh and "work on their marriage". How many prisoner souls could be won for Jesus by her "example" of forgiveness towards her wretched husband? 
The Duggars have their brand to protect, and it's priority #1, over their children. The Kellars have their ministry to protect; priority #1 to them.  Anna's health and happiness doesn't even make the list with either family.
That she hasn't left with the kids already tells me she's drowning in the kool aid. 

My boys wear pink, purple .. Whatever color they feel like.

Why limit kids with gender colors or gender anything. Just let kids be who they are! 20e13d20fa2166070049768ac83bdf10.jpg

(Just for fun: My 3 year old made his outfit design... )

I wonder if Anna really got a glimpse of a different way of life in DC. She still seemed pretty intent on adding to the quiver.

I wonder if Anna really got a glimpse of a different way of life in DC. She still seemed pretty intent on adding to the quiver.

Anna is a total babe now. fucking good luck getting her back Joshley *hair flip*

Anna is a total babe now. fucking good luck getting her back Joshley *hair flip*

It'd be interesting to know if she is still using stylists because of Jill and Jessa's *gag* special. Or if she's learnt from some sassy ladies about good grooming. I'm unsure why she looks so good now; unless it's because she dropped 200 pounds or so of fat (smug)?

Gender reveal parties are a thing (not sure if they're a "big" thing) in the US (at least they are here in the South), and they are pretty bad. At least you don't have to sit and watch someone open a million baby presents and go "awwwwww" like at baby showers, but sitting around waiting for someone to elaborately reveal something pink or blue is one boring way to spend an afternoon. I've been to a few and they've always been a "no presents, please" thing, but most people will bring something small anyway. I think they're on the down swing now, and the trend is now becoming to have a professional photo shoot with the couple out in nature either opening a big box releasing pink or blue balloons or opening a small box revealing either a tiny football jersey or tiny cheerleader outfit from the couple's college team, and posting the album on Facebook.

ginder reveal parties/photo shoots are so cheesy and overly indulgent. I always secretly hope that the box will be filled with bats instead of balloons. "Congrats,  you're having a- BBLAAARRGGHH!!

ginder reveal parties/photo shoots are so cheesy and overly indulgent. I always secretly hope that the box will be filled with bats instead of balloons. "Congrats,  you're having a- BBLAAARRGGHH!!

Haha priceless!

Josh's hypocrisy throughout this video is pretty amazing... especially sad is the part where he talks about how the move to DC has drawn their family closer, and how much he wants to 'be there' for his M-kids.

Josh's hypocrisy throughout this video is pretty amazing... especially sad is the part where he talks about how the move to DC has drawn their family closer, and how much he wants to 'be there' for his M-kids.

or at the end when he acts all protective of his courtship-aged sisters. 

or at the end when he acts all protective of his courtship-aged sisters. 

rewatching that gives me the chills... as does the josh-anna proposal / hand-sex fest episode... and don't get me started on "New Duggars on the Block". :PLEURE:

In a way a gender reveal is a more traditional thing, though not fundamentalist. To me it's about prizing children above all else, and the woman's role as mother of that child. Yay, you've done your duty of creating a(nother) precious child!

I'd love to give some of these fundies pink clothes for a boy and explain that pink was the colour of childhood masculinity for centuries... :evil-laugh:

So, I met Anna and Josh at the end of October (the 26th) of last year and Anna was looking really beautiful then - I've cropped us out of the photo. She may not have even known she was pregnant at that point. I found her in person to be a very attractive person and that was with a creepy Joshley in tow. Just thought I would throw that out there because while I agree she's looking great, I want to give her some credit for just looking great in general. 

20141026_172118.jpg

Whatever happened and whatever will happen I hope Anna kicked him in the balls when she found out... I hope she will leave him and take the kids and write a book sure but I suspect that she will go back to him and he will end up doing something stupid again.

Gender reveal parties are a thing (not sure if they're a "big" thing) in the US (at least they are here in the South), and they are pretty bad. At least you don't have to sit and watch someone open a million baby presents and go "awwwwww" like at baby showers, but sitting around waiting for someone to elaborately reveal something pink or blue is one boring way to spend an afternoon. I've been to a few and they've always been a "no presents, please" thing, but most people will bring something small anyway. I think they're on the down swing now, and the trend is now becoming to have a professional photo shoot with the couple out in nature either opening a big box releasing pink or blue balloons or opening a small box revealing either a tiny football jersey or tiny cheerleader outfit from the couple's college team, and posting the album on Facebook.

I've never been pregnant and not sure I would have one myself, but my sister did a gender reveal party. It was actually really nice to be able to have both sides of the family come together and spend an afternoon hanging out. It was a really laid back BBQ in the backyard with lawn games, they did a "guess the gender" game and gave out a prize to one of the people who guessed right (me!). My sister did have several miscarriages and had to go through fertility treatments in order to bring this baby into the world so I see nothing wrong with them celebrating every milestone. It was a good time.

Wow- thanks for sharing that picture.  Anna does look very put together and happy.  Josh looks very disheveled.  

Are gender reveal parties a thing in the US, or just with fundies? They don't seem so popular in my home country (UK). I think they're quite silly, to be honest. Surely wait until after the baby is born for the gift grab?

I did one with my daughter that doubled as a housewarming party. We'd moved into a new place the week we found out her sex, & had already planned the party, we just BBQ'd burgers & hot dogs, and I made 200 Cupcakes with white frosting on top, and pink frosting in the center. We asked everyone to not bring gifts however, we just felt it was impersonal to just post on facebook we were having a girl. We weren't in it for the gift grab though lol. 

I did one with my daughter that doubled as a housewarming party. We'd moved into a new place the week we found out her sex, & had already planned the party, we just BBQ'd burgers & hot dogs, and I made 200 Cupcakes with white frosting on top, and pink frosting in the center. We asked everyone to not bring gifts however, we just felt it was impersonal to just post on facebook we were having a girl. We weren't in it for the gift grab though lol. 

Nice screen name

I always thought they were a fundie thing. I've never heard of anyone I know having a gender reveal party, and I'm in the midwest of the US. Most my friends are pretty progressive, so I feel like a gender-reveal party would be a weird thing to celebrate. 

Some people will grab any excuse for a party.  Knowing the gender has only been an option in the past 30-35 years.  So the customs are evolving. I can see why fundies and other subcultures obsessed with procreation may make a bigger deal of gender reveal than others.

That being said, it is a lot less tacky, in my book, to give a gender reveal party than to give oneself a shower.  The shower should always be organized (at least in theory) by a non-family member.  

So my beef with "gender reveal" parties might be seen as aggro progressive but they aren't revealing the fucking gender, they are revealing the SEX. No one knows the gender of that fetus until it is a cognizant, expressive, human being. 

The use of "gender" to mean sex goes back to Victorian/Edwardian delicacy about certain words. (We ask for dark or white meat instead of "breast" and "thigh" meat at Thanksgiving for the same reason.)  Because "sex" for some people means or suggests "sexual activity" not genitalia, they substituted "gender" which actually had nothing to do originally with cultural or individual definition.  

"Gender" as a classification comes to us from grammar and linguistics.  In languages such as Spanish (and many others) inanimate objects have gender.  A chair is feminine and a floor is masculine (in Spanish) but that is gender, not sex.  

Somewhere along the way, the social sciences (anthropology, etc.) took the grammar/linguistic "gender" and applied it to cultural/social divisions or categories of male, female and variations as applied to people in different cultures.  From the social sciences it oozed into common use to reflect not the biological "sex" but the individual identity or identification.

All this is a long winded way of noting that when the fundies and others say "gender" they are using "delicate" language, not making a statement about "gender" as a social construct.  It is like calling your belly "tummy" or "stomach" instead of "belly." 

I know the fundies see gender as defined by sex, but that is not why they call them gender reveals. :kitty-wink:

Sexist I know, but while I was happy to dress my daughter in boys pjs, I didn't dress my son in pink.

I was big on gender-neutral and primary colors with my two, and was always being asked if I had expected a boy because my daughter wore blue.  Eventually I did dress her brother in a few pink or purple hand-me-downs because he was so large that he outgrew all the gender neutral/boy stuff I had dressed my infant daughter in and into the pinks and purples the same daughter (a very articulate toddler) preferred.  No one gave us a hard time about him being dressed in pink because he was chunky and didn't look girlish and because big sister was around to show it was hand me downs, I suppose. I used to joke about my "transvestite babies." :kitty-wink:

We are registering for almost all "boy" things, because they have dinosaurs on them and they are cooler than the hearts on the "girl" things.  I will say that generally the things that are pink seem to be less fun than the blue.

We have gotten one "so you must be hoping for a boy" when looking at the blue ocean themed nursery.  He did accept the point that the ocean is blue though.  (I had a friend insist that an ocean theme could not be gender neutral because it was blue, my response was "?")

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived