IGNORED

Is the rest of the world starting to catch on?

Wendy

This week I have noticed that several science and politics blogs I follow are starting to cover some familiar topics.

* PZ Myers at Pharyngula discussed home birth and Vision Forum yesterday

* Anderson Cooper, after covering the Pearls, is now doing a story on Hephzabah house

* Free Thoughts Blogs, which is new and has many contributors, is really focusing on Dominionism lately

I know that Perry, Bachman, et al, have inspired most of this. I'm ok with that.

/first topic! squeee!

I can't wait till someone big starts talking about the Duggars and their membership in the cult ATI. That it is not just a "homeschool conference" they go to every year and that they send their daughters to things like "Journey to the Heart." If people found out what they really believe, the love for them would quickly die. I know so many people who watch the show and just think they are a big happy family until I tell them otherwise.

Almost of all my friends look at me blankly when I start to discuss any of this patriarchal stuff. And I live in Knoxville, where it seems like I spend the summer tripping over ATI folks.

I think Anderson Cooper reads here. Hi Anderson! Remember someone here knew Anderson or someone who knew him to give him info. on HH.? I remember it,on the old board I think?

I think Anderson is one of our members now.

I think Anderson Cooper reads here. Hi Anderson! Remember someone here knew Anderson or someone who knew him to give him info. on HH.? I remember it,on the old board I think?

Really? That's Cool.... I'd love to see that thread.

If so, Hey Anderson, mah boo! I know you are gay and I am married, but you're my television husband.

If he really reads here that would be so cool. I often wonder which fundie celebrities read here as a secret vice, but if there are real celebs on here too that would be interesting.

I can't wait till someone big starts talking about the Duggars and their membership in the cult ATI. That it is not just a "homeschool conference" they go to every year and that they send their daughters to things like "Journey to the Heart." If people found out what they really believe, the love for them would quickly die. I know so many people who watch the show and just think they are a big happy family until I tell them otherwise.

I'm one of those, though I've been without cable for the past year so haven't seen recent shows. Just reading here the past few days I'm starting to feel differently about them.

Nell

Probably more like one of Anderson's interns reads here and points out the good stuff (though I would be over the moon if AC graced us with his presence, for sure). The interns do love us, after all! :mrgreen:

I still think parts of the US (just what I'm familiar with since I've never lived anywhere else) has a long, long way to go. I know FB isn't a great piece of proof, but I have been so frustrated lately. I had to just stay the hell away during the Casey Anthony trial because that's all anyone posted about. It was non-freaking-stop. Warren Jeffs? Not so much. When I posted a link to the HH piece this morning, along with a brief explanation? *crickets chirping* Well, I take that back. I was told I can't blame the government since they don't have jurisdiction (um, yes, yes I can! There's nothing stopping them from trying to change the laws.) And got one "like." If I posted something about Casey Anthony I'd probably get 20 responses/likes or better.

But on the upside, people were so invested in that case because it was thrown in our faces. So if more and more media outlets start shining the light on the atrocities that take place in religious fundamentalism, perhaps people will start to move past the "But it's religion! That makes it okay and you're a big meanie for picking on someone's religion!" mentality. We can all hope, anyway. I just wish people weren't so damn lazy. I'm so happy to have this place, to learn and share. If we had to wait for the media to pick up stories, we'd have nothing to talk about.

I'm so happy that AC360 is doing these kind of stories. I hope it continues.

Sidenote: I think he's really handsome and stylish. He's my older man crush.

I know of one blog by a conservative christian that called the Duggars out on their Gothard beliefs. I wish more people would take off their rosy glasses. I am so going to do another speech on the Full Quiver Movement. I am taking speech class again.

I'm going to make a recommendation -- I think we should all (or those who feel it's appropriate) email AC 360 and thank them for doing these stories, and perhaps include any recommendations for future stories about Gothard, Vision Forum or other religious extremism organizations or stories. I think for a show like AC 360, viewer feedback actually is important, especially for those of you who only watch/DVR the show when it features such stories.

If God has laid it on your heart to do so, you can contact AC 360 at: http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?10

I am going to do it myself and recommend a story on SAHDs and give the link to Ladies AGainst Feminism.

I also don't believe that Michelle is the sweetest thing since cane sugar like she is portrayed (so many Duggar fans think she is super mommy). On Bay of Fundy's website a poster (from 2008 or earlier) said that she is former A.T.I. and that one of the Duggar girls confided that Michelle yells all the time, gives punishment chores, and does not have anything to do with her babies once they are weaned. It also said that one of the oldest was engaged to be married and that the enagement was for two years. I looked on J and A's website and it WAS two years from when they supposedly met and the wedding. Hmmm....

I don't think that Anderson Cooper reads here (though it'd be awesome if he did!), but it's definitely encouraging to know that people are starting to get it.

I'm going to make a recommendation -- I think we should all (or those who feel it's appropriate) email AC 360 and thank them for doing these stories, and perhaps include any recommendations for future stories about Gothard, Vision Forum or other religious extremism organizations or stories. I think for a show like AC 360, viewer feedback actually is important, especially for those of you who only watch/DVR the show when it features such stories.

If God has laid it on your heart to do so, you can contact AC 360 at: http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?10

I am going to do it myself and recommend a story on SAHDs and give the link to Ladies AGainst Feminism.

I commented on the video (did those ever show up?), emailed, and tweeted when he did the story on the Pearls and plan to do so again. I didn't recommend anything then, but I will now. I agree that we all should. The more support he gets, the more likely he'll be to do these stories.

I know of one blog by a conservative christian that called the Duggars out on their Gothard beliefs. I wish more people would take off their rosy glasses. I am so going to do another speech on the Full Quiver Movement. I am taking speech class again.

People are definitely questioning it. There was mention of Gothard on "Stuff Fundies Like" not too long ago, and there have been threads against him on fundamentalist forums with ATI being called cultlike & unbiblical. There's a discussion going on right now on The Patriarch's Wives (Stacy MacDonald's private email list) about Gothard and some of his unbiblical teachings - not from Stacy (just so it doesn't get misquoted and get her in trouble), but from women who have followed Gothard or read/used his books & cirriculum.

That would be me. I know someone who works with someone that is one of AC's crew's SO.

How's that for a connection? I did link the person I know to the threads in question and asked her to pass it along.

It would rock if Anderson lurked here. He's one of my favorite reporters. I watch AC360 every chance I get. I'm glad he did an expose on the Pearls. They're a bane to society and someone needs to clue people into to their nonsense.

I'm so happy that AC360 is doing these kind of stories. I hope it continues.

Sidenote: I think he's really handsome and stylish. He's my older man crush.

WTF? Older man :?: ( :D j/k)

AC doesn't have time to keep up with Free Jinger. Please. He's too busy being hot.

But seriously, do you know how many issues he has to be able to talk intelligently about? He's a busy man. They have researchers for this kind of stuff.

AC, if you or your producers are reading here, thank you all for this story.

I sent AC an email and reminded him that the Duggars are associated with this crap.

Done -- though it was the debbil that laid it on my evil soul :twisted:

Archived