IGNORED

Is the rest of the world starting to catch on?

Wendy

I wish homebirths weren't considered to be a fundie thing. They do it for the wrong reasons, because spending money on medical care for women, unless it's an emergency, is wrong. Many moms who have homebirths do it to not have to bother with doctors trying to push unnecessary interventions to suit their own schedules (if one out of every 3 births had to be by c-section or mom and baby would die, humans would be extinct), being in a cold, sterile, uncomfortable environment having to beg for permission to push, etc.. Many of us don't see pregnancy and childbirth as a medical condition and emergency.

WTF? Older man :?: ( :D j/k)

LOL, I thought the same thing! I am 41, I guess my older man crush has to be someone in his 80's? :dance: You young un's are hard on us old gals .... :D

I wish homebirths weren't considered to be a fundie thing.

My husband was a medical doctor. He did homebirths. None of his homebirthers were fundies. This was in northern WI in the 80's and 90's. Retired now and I don't think any other M.D. was willing to do homebirths.

Nell

I wish homebirths weren't considered to be a fundie thing. They do it for the wrong reasons, because spending money on medical care for women, unless it's an emergency, is wrong. Many moms who have homebirths do it to not have to bother with doctors trying to push unnecessary interventions to suit their own schedules (if one out of every 3 births had to be by c-section or mom and baby would die, humans would be extinct), being in a cold, sterile, uncomfortable environment having to beg for permission to push, etc.. Many of us don't see pregnancy and childbirth as a medical condition and emergency.

I don't judge women on homebirths with attendants. Do me a favor and don't judge me for having a hospital birth, especially since my medically necessary induction and the accompanying interventions may well have saved my life and my child's. I didn't have the low-intervention hospital birth that Mr. Bug and I and even my OB had hoped for, but preeclampsia doesn't really give a damn about what mom wants. I have no regrets about how I gave birth. And it was such a cold, sterile, uncomfortable environment :roll: what with the nurses suggesting different comfort measures and intervening with an anxious OB resident to make sure I was able to be up and walking for as long as possible, my OB sprinting up from the OR to make sure he was there for a fairly precipitous pushing stage and delivery (I dilated very fast unbeknownst to anyone), and pretty much every staff member making sure I was fully supported in breastfeeding despite being bedridden on mag sulfate for 24 hours postpartum. Such awful, uncaring people! :evil:

I agree that the C-section rate is too high (as do many OBGYNs and CNMs) and that many commonly-done things in obstetrics are not evidence-based and can lead to the cascade of interventions. However, there are a lot of women who want anesthesia/pain control and there are even women who would prefer to have an elective C-section. Their bodies, their babies, their choices. Like I said, do me the favor of not judging my birth without knowing the details and I'll extend the same courtesy to you.

The only mom I know IRL who had a homebirth is about as far from fundie as it gets. The fundie lite guy I know with 8 kids had all children born in the hospital with plenty of pain meds and interventions. Around here, homebirth is not known as a particularly fundie thing.

End of digression/rant.

I guarantee that AC himself doesn't read here due to how busy he is. They have researchers to do that. :lol: He is easy on the eyes, though - love that grey hair.

Archived