IGNORED

Duggar Fox News Interviews - Mild, Inappropriate Lying

happy atheist

I wouldn't out put it past the Duggars to scream about suing someone, but there is no legal basis for it. They weren't tricked, deceived, cleverly edited or misrepresented. It is no one's fault but their own if going on TV and stating everyone in their cult deals with child molestation and it's no big deal and then making their daughters defend their molester didn't win them the support they apparently thought that it would.

Honestly, if anyone should be suing, I'd say it's the police chief they went on national TV and accused of taking bribes, having an agenda to get them or some other improper motive for "illegally" releasing the police report.

Who knows if this is true or not, but I wouldn't put it past the Duggars to try. They don't seem to understand that part of the definition of being a celebrity is having the media all up in your business, the good, the bad, and the ugly. If they didn't want that, they shouldn't have tried to get on TV. The Duggars talk about "personal responsibility" but now that it's time to (wo)man up about their horrible decisions, it's suddenly someone else's fault: the media, the legal system, the police, the local government, etc. :music-tool: :penguin-no: I'd like to see them in court, if only to further humiliate themselves with their stupidity.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People sue these days for the most ridiculous reasons. And it's obvious by now that as slimy and crafty as JB is, he lacks logic and critical thinking. I wouldn't put it past them to sue. I would find it hilarious, actually.

The Duggars even filing a lawsuit over this would be a prime example of how little foresight they actually have.

Law suits are public records. If their suit didn't get dismissed immediately for no cause of action, then it's likely the Duggars would be deposed. Lawyers have pretty wide latitude in asking questions during depositions; the information sought doesn't have to be admissible or even directly relevant. And, the answers are sworn testimony, under oath. Lying can land you with a perjury charge. Moreover, those depositions end up being used as evidence, meaning they become a part of the public record. So, by suing, the Duggars basically open themselves up to having to answer a hell of a lot of uncomfortable questions under oath that almost certainly will become part of the public record.

Now, I hope they do it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since I weighed in on the "don't talk to cops" thread drift, I would like to clarify what I meant.

I support the police. I think they have a difficult job. I trust them to "protect and serve" to the best of their ability. I will say that, in any population, there are people who will take things too far, as in the recent events that caused riots in Baltimore. However, I feel by and large that most of the police in the world truly want to help people.

I can say all of that and categorically state that one should not participate in any investigation by police, where YOU YOURSELF are the subject of the investigation, without an attorney present. Because of the scope of police questioning work, they are permitted to do things to trip people up. An attorney can help navigate that. The end.

I am sorry if I offended families or loved ones of police. That was not my intent.

Well, they said on the Faux News interview they were thinking about it, so what's the point of this thread?

I believe in the interview they hinted at legal action against those that released the police reports upon In Touch's FOI request. This thread is speculation that they now want to sue Faux over the contents of the interview itself.

I don't even think they have grounds to sue Fox. It isn't as though they were edited to take things out of context. They opened their own mouths and said foolish things. Plus, it would be crazy to sue a huge company such has fox without having slam dunk case. Fox will bankrupt the Duggars before they even get to trial. No laywer worth their salt will take the case on contingency because Fox will inundate them with so much discovery and motions that some poor laywer will be basically working full-time for free. It's a good way for your law firm to go bankrupt. This isn't a case Fox would settle to make it go away. I have no doubt they would fight it right to the end. I am not a Fox fan but not even I believe they did a disservice to the Duggars. Fox gave the Duggars the platform they wanted. It isn't the fault of Fox that they hung themselves.

Wait a second...I thought it was part of fundie dogma or Gothard dogma that suing others, even if it is illegal, is sinful. I thought that was considered "bitterness" or something?

Lord, all this hand wringing over the feelings of police. It's like the angst over how Christians are persecuted in this country.

I believe in the interview they hinted at legal action against those that released the police reports upon In Touch's FOI request. This thread is speculation that they now want to sue Faux over the contents of the interview itself.

Right. There's a rumor going around that the Duggars want to sue Megan and Fox because of how bad the interview made them look.

For all his dumbassery, I think Jim Bob is typically very good with money. They hinted at a lawsuit but I think he would have to be extraordinarily stupid to try and take legal action against the officials that (in compliance with the law) released the redacted police report or Megyn Kelly. Megyn Kelly did everything in her power to make them look good aside from saying Josh was a stand-up guy, she spun it to focus on how hard it would be for a family to deal with such a problem and gave them all credit for the EFFORT and INTENTION to make Josh better, rather than putting the focus on the ignorant nature of the 'help' they got for him. She then had the girls come on to say their piece about how Josh has been forgiven and changed his life and people should let it go. She never personally did anything to make them look bad, she did quite the opposite. No way would the Duggars have a case in either situation, and they MUST know that. They'd just be throwing money away to try and pursue that. They look bad enough all by themselves, they don't need any extra help.

Wait a second...I thought it was part of fundie dogma or Gothard dogma that suing others, even if it is illegal, is sinful. I thought that was considered "bitterness" or something?

I'm not certain what Gothard teaches about this. However, one of my parents is a lawyer and both of my parents attended the Basic Seminar back in the day so I'm guessing Gothard takes the usual fundy position of it not being permissible to sue other Christians (and their definition of "Christian" is fairly limited to begin with), but that it is permissible to sue non-Believers. Here's a short summary of the Bible verses commonly used, IME, regarding this issue. This was a fairly common topic in my fundy-lite parents' home:

gotquestions.org/lawsuits-suing.html

Oh their privacy is being violated? This coming from people who have no problem sharing every other minute detail of their lives for drooling leg humpers, but are now "devastated" for the public knowing about Josh's "mild inappropriate touching"? If it's not such a big deal, then it shouldn't be a big deal that people know about it. The only big deal I see them having is losing their television show and spin offs. They want to have it both ways and there's plenty of fawning fans smitted by their privilege to bend over backwards to give it to them. :roll:

Ready to be drowned out by squealing fanbabies in 3... 2... 1....

Oh their privacy is being violated? This coming from people who have no problem sharing every other minute detail of their lives for drooling leg humpers, but are now "devastated" for the public knowing about Josh's "mild inappropriate touching"? If it's not such a big deal, then it shouldn't be a big deal that people know about it. The only big deal I see them having is losing their television show and spin offs. They want to have it both ways and there's plenty of fawning fans smitted by their privilege to bend over backwards to give it to them. :roll:

Ready to be drowned out by squealing fanbabies in 3... 2... 1....

Well, to be fair, it's not like they ever share anything real. It's all carefully scripted. :twisted:

In all seriousness, they have every right to be upset about something so private being out in the public. I loathe these people and take a dim view of those who make their living off making a spectacle of themselves getting pissy about privacy, but abuse victims should be the only ones able to announce their abuse to the public.

Right. There's a rumor going around that the Duggars want to sue Megan and Fox because of how bad the interview made them look.

They made themselves look stupid, not matter what Megyn Kelly said, she was way too soft on them and even still Boob and Mullet parroted out stupid things.

Well, to be fair, it's not like they ever share anything real. It's all carefully scripted. :twisted:

In all seriousness, they have every right to be upset about something so private being out in the public. I loathe these people and take a dim view of those who make their living off making a spectacle of themselves getting pissy about privacy, but abuse victims should be the only ones able to announce their abuse to the public.

Their parents are to blame for not following more mainstream protocol in handling Josh's crimes. Had they not skirted justice when Josh was a juvenile, no one would be the wiser.

I'm starting to wonder if their Crisis PR guy might be a closet FJer and a saboteur, because everything that has come out recently has only made them look all the worse. The only person who is doing anything right at the moment is Josh who has been laying low and maintaining radio silence.

Of course they don't have a case, but how much fun would it be if those proceedings were televised? JB could get paid to be on TV again, and we could continue to watch the train wreck. Maybe they could be on Judge Judy and she could lay into them!

Their parents are to blame for not following more mainstream protocol in handling Josh's crimes. Had they not skirted justice when Josh was a juvenile, no one would be the wiser.

Oh, I agree. They not only messed up with how they handled it but they compounded it by seeking fame. But however it happened, they victims' anger is perfectly reasonable. They're directing it at the wrong people, of course, because being angry at family is hard, and because they're conniving assholes who are desperately trying to keep the gravy train going, but it's till messed up that the truth got out.

People sue these days for the most ridiculous reasons. And it's obvious by now that as slimy and crafty as JB is, he lacks logic and critical thinking. I wouldn't put it past them to sue. I would find it hilarious, actually.

It would be hilarious. What are his grounds? I wanted to be portrayed in a positive light, but this stupid country doesn't find child molesters as charming and forgivable as I do!

I'm starting to wonder if their Crisis PR guy might be a closet FJer and a saboteur, because everything that has come out recently has only made them look all the worse. The only person who is doing anything right at the moment is Josh who has been laying low and maintaining radio silence.

Of course they don't have a case, but how much fun would it be if those proceedings were televised? JB could get paid to be on TV again, and we could continue to watch the train wreck. Maybe they could be on Judge Judy and she could lay into them!

They shouldn't have "buy used, save the difference" with their PR guys. They should have spent the money on hiring a PR genius.

It would be hilarious. What are his grounds? I wanted to be portrayed in a positive light, but this stupid country doesn't find child molesters as charming and forgivable as I do!

Jim Bob & Michelle's grounds for a lawsuit. Hmm, let's see: "Our son did nothing wrong and we are Christian Warriors at war against the evil gay agenda." or "To stand up against liberals and feminists." Some bullshit excuse like that. Their own repressive beliefs and arrogance helped to start this shit and now they can't cope with being called out.

They shouldn't have "buy used, save the difference" with their PR guys. They should have spent the money on hiring a PR genius.

I agree. Dealing with molestation cases, especially if the victims were minors, are a PR nightmare from hell.

The only chance the Duggars would have had to salvage a bit of their reputation was admitting that they were very wrong about how they handled the whole thing, and that they have learned their lesson since then.

That could have worked because the situation J'Chelle & Boob were in back then was undoubtedly a very difficult one were quite a few parents would have failed to act properly.

Would have been difficult to sell for them, since they are still in this crazy cult which is led by a molester, but it still would have been way better than the interview they gave.

Reputable PR agencies usually refuse to work with clients who don't want to follow their advice, and I doubt that Boob would have been cooperative.

Archived