IGNORED

Duggar Fox News Interviews - Mild, Inappropriate Lying

happy atheist

The Duggars were interviewed by Megyn Kelly twice, JB & Michelle on Wednesday, Jill & Jessa on Friday.

They would like for us to believe that Josh was just a confused kid who only "inappropriately touched" his sleeping sisters over their clothes. Except for the times when he touched awake girls. And the times that he touched them under their clothes. But don't worry, that was only for a few seconds. No biggie. And let's not even mention that one of them was only 5 years old. :shock:

Why is everyone so mad at them about this? It only took them a year to get Josh out of the house! And they sent him away to do remodeling work, and everyone knows that once you hang drywall you never have inappropriate sexual urges again! It's science, duh.

But really, it's all just a liberal conspiracy because they're Christians.

Discussion of Jessa and Jill's interview: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26255

Discussion of Jim Bob and Michelle's interview:

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26243

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26249

Recap of Jim Bob and Michelle interview:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26250

Recap of Jill and Jessa interview:

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26257

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote I just found from PR/ Crisis expert at Levick, NYC, Washington DC and Chicago:

The harsh reaction to the interview has put new pressure on the network to make a decision about the future of the show. Experts said that if the Fox News appearance was part of an effort to help resurrect the program, it backfired.

The Duggars "have absolutely no future on American television," said Jack Deschauer, vice president at crisis management firm Levick.

"Their whole brand was a loving, conservative, Christian family that lived life according to a very strict code of ethics," he said. "How can you conserve that brand?"

Quote I just found from PR/ Crisis expert at Levick, NYC, Washington DC and Chicago:

The harsh reaction to the interview has put new pressure on the network to make a decision about the future of the show. Experts said that if the Fox News appearance was part of an effort to help resurrect the program, it backfired.

The Duggars "have absolutely no future on American television," said Jack Deschauer, vice president at crisis management firm Levick.

"Their whole brand was a loving, conservative, Christian family that lived life according to a very strict code of ethics," he said. "How can you conserve that brand?"

I hope he's right.

Happy Atheist, it's what the sensible FJ folk have been saying all along.

I thought it was noteworthy that a crisis specialty firm at that high level would be saying the same thing. I'm sure the TLC people will see that and it will weigh in with their decision. TLC's own PR/ Crisis people have to be saying the same things. I can't think how even a spin off show would work for the Duggars.

Regarding radar (or other media) buying the letter. For the most part media will not identify a sexual assault victim. In Touch knows who the 5th victim is and has not released that. I believe if anyone is able to purchase the letter (and lets face it, someone will), once its authenticity is verified or otherwise stipulated to, it will be published in a redacted form.

I do believe they will behave responsibly in this manner. When this happens I truly hope that members of this site will respect this woman and not speculate or try to guess who she is based on bits and pieces that will be disclosed.

I love the new title of the thread. Awesome!

I half expected one of the Duggar girls to out the 5th victim. They outed Jinger. We had all guessed, but didn't know until the interview exactly which 4 of the five girls it was.

I do hope the letter get out, but unlike the police report with enough redaction to not identify the 5th victim. It will be interesting to see if the content of the letter is the same as the Duggar's versions to the police.

I love the new title of the thread. Awesome!

I half expected one of the Duggar girls to out the 5th victim. They outed Jinger. We had all guessed, but didn't know until the interview exactly which 4 of the five girls it was.

I watched the interview but haven't been able to keep up with the threads here. When did they 'out' Jinger as a victim?

Jill said, We never said we were perfect." No, you didn't. But you pretend your life makes things better for everyone....

Even though the Duggars don't say it, the show is a chance to evangelize their life to the world. People want to wish you well and gain access to your blogs ans you peddle ATI on your website to your fans. An indirect advertiser. A dangerous cult. Your scripted tv personas make it seem you are all doing great due to this life choice. And that's a lie. Your audience is your congregation. And just like you had to confess to the elders at your churvh, you had an obligation to confess those sins to the viewers. Hubris. Plain amd simple.

I've heard the fifth victim described as both a "family friend" and a "babysitter."

Wonder if the fifth victim was the one who wrote the letter? It had to be someone very close to the family and in their home church thingie.

I am so glad to see this thread. That Faux interview was so infuriating, most especially for the reasons already listed by Happy Atheist.

I've been hanging out on some Gawker sites to gauge reactions. There are a lot of people who took Jessa's words at face value -- they didn't approve of it, but they hadn't read the police reports and were unaware that some of the victims were awake or fondled underneath the clothes -- or as young as 4 or 5. It feels so outrageous to have to mention that, but since the Duggars began with the specifications, it seems important to be accurate.

And those lines about "we never said we were a perfect family." Oy. Sure. That's why they refer to the show as a "ministry" and why they explain ad nauseam about their courtship rules and modesty ideals and defrauding and other purity culture b.s.

"Mild, inappropriate lying" indeed.

I've heard the fifth victim described as both a "family friend" and a "babysitter."

Wonder if the fifth victim was the one who wrote the letter? It had to be someone very close to the family and in their home church thingie.

It makes me wonder. Josh was 14 when the first molestations occurred. That means JD and Jana were, what? 12? 13?.... WHY did they NEED a babysitter? That has always caused me to wonder. In my state, a child can babysit for money after taking a Safe Sitter class offered by the county. Surely, the parents thought Josh or the top three could handle the "other ones"...

It makes me wonder. Josh was 14 when the first molestations occurred. That means JD and Jana were, what? 12? 13?.... WHY did they NEED a babysitter? That has always caused me to wonder. In my state, a child can babysit for money after taking a Safe Sitter class offered by the county. Surely, the parents thought Josh or the top three could handle the "other ones"...

especially considering that, at that point, the J'slaves were already sister moms...

I watched the interview but haven't been able to keep up with the threads here. When did they 'out' Jinger as a victim?

IIRC they didn't really out her as in saying it but more of a process of elimination deal.

I like how Jill and Jessa went on air to tell the truth, since there were so many lies out there, but yet, they didn't refute any claims that had been made (besides josh being called a rapist, but that isn't a rampant claim). Really they just said PART of what happened, leaving out the other girls and the under the clothes business. So lying by omission at the very least. Basically they didn't do anything of what their stated intent was.

In regard to the Radar Online article, I hope the 5th victim is the one with the letter. I know it's unlikely, but I can dream. If I were that person and listened to the way Josh's family were so dismissive of what happened, I'd be ready to fire back. Oh, I would so be cheering her on!

Regarding radar (or other media) buying the letter. For the most part media will not identify a sexual assault victim. In Touch knows who the 5th victim is and has not released that. I believe if anyone is able to purchase the letter (and lets face it, someone will), once its authenticity is verified or otherwise stipulated to, it will be published in a redacted form.

I do believe they will behave responsibly in this manner. When this happens I truly hope that members of this site will respect this woman and not speculate or try to guess who she is based on bits and pieces that will be disclosed.

If this is true, then I would really prefer that In Touch obtain the letter since they can be trusted to make sure her identity is protected. (It's crazy that I'm commenting on a tabloid being trustworthy :? )

As others have said - and as I have said before - I do not need or want to know who the fifth victim is. If she decides to come out and tell her story, then that her's choice, but it's most certainly not an obligation.

I really do hope the further scandals aren't about more abuse, but I fear they are :cry: I'm really concerned for all those kids.

I have so many questions about the 5th victim. It baffles me. How come she was babysitting when Jana and John-David (even Joshua) were clearly hold enough to take care of the brood? My sister was babysitting me by that age. Did Ma and Pa Duggar not trust Josh to be able to look after the kids? Did the 5th victim write the letter? Was the victim around Joshua's age (considering she was a babysitter, I assume she might have been older than the Duggar girls).

Of course, I don't think the victim should answer these questions. It's totally private. But I find this whole thing pretty strange.

Edit: Just to erase some extra words.

Jill said, We never said we were perfect." No, you didn't. But you pretend your life makes things better for everyone....

Even though the Duggars don't say it, the show is a chance to evangelize their life to the world. People want to wish you well and gain access to your blogs ans you peddle ATI on your website to your fans. An indirect advertiser. A dangerous cult. Your scripted tv personas make it seem you are all doing great due to this life choice. And that's a lie. Your audience is your congregation. And just like you had to confess to the elders at your churvh, you had an obligation to confess those sins to the viewers. Hubris. Plain amd simple.

Didn't Michelle say that as well, the bit about "We never said we were perfect." ? It makes me think THEY thought they were perfect. Like no matter what had happened they'd handled it and God was on their side. After all, look at the blessings he'd bestowed on them and the attention they were getting. Oh they'll admit they're sinners, but TV-wise, they were playing up to that perfect image.

Each time I hear that clip I want to scream, "I NEVER thought you were perfect! I watched because you were a fucking freak show! Big difference!".

especially considering that, at that point, the J'slaves were already sister moms...

I was wondering about this as well. Jim Bob is known to be cheap. It surprises me that there would be a babysitter present when he had all that free labor already at home. Although I suppose she could have been there without pay...

In the report, it said Josh touched the 5th girl outside of the home. Is that right?

Something about the way it was phrased in the police reports made me think that the girl's family was visiting/staying with the Duggars and that she was babysitting in that capacity - that they were already there for whatever reason, and girls watch children. The fact that she had been asleep on the couch also made it seem to me that they were just staying with the Duggars at the time. If she were there just to babysit, why would she be asleep? Sure, she could have fallen asleep accidentally, but not likely to be the case if she was actively monitoring a number of children at the time - too much noise and activity to just doze off. It never occurred to me that she had gone there specifically to babysit. We've seen the Bates girls babysit the Duggar children (along with their own younger siblings) when their families happened to be visiting because that's just what girls do in those kind of families. I think people are calling her a babysitter because she happened to be helping watch the kids, and perhaps was older than the Duggar children were at the time.

I'm thinking the babysitter wasn't there mainly to babysit, more a family friend staying over. I have been thinking she was the only one there, but couldn't there have been more people there at the time of the molestation of the babysitter?

Does anyone else remember, when asked about Josh's return home , Jill responded with "Well, when he came back AGAIN...blah blah blah.." Again? So he was sent away more than once? :shrug:

I'm thinking the babysitter wasn't there mainly to babysit, more a family friend staying over. I have been thinking she was the only one there, but couldn't there have been more people there at the time of the molestation of the babysitter?

Remember <> that visited the Duggars and stayed with them for a week or so? I cant remember the year, and perhaps I'm off a few years, could it be THAT girl? I know its speculation...

Archived