IGNORED

Fundie Reactions to Josh Duggar Molestation Admission

Georgiana

The bates gave a very brief and distant statement.

Very very interesting from them

Where is this? The last of their blog post is about Alyssa's kid. But I'm on mobile and sometimes that screws me up.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These two fundie reactions surprised me because they are (dare I say): reasonable.

tolovehonorandvacuum.com/2015/06/bringing-past-sexual-abuse-to-light/

deeprootsathome.com/could-it-happen-in-your-home-the-duggar-scandal/

edited: because I do my best proofreading after I press send

These two fundie reactions surprised me because they are (dare I say): reasonable. Surprised me anyway.

tolovehonorandvacuum.com/2015/06/bringing-past-sexual-abuse-to-light/

deeprootsathome.com/could-it-happen-in-your-home-the-duggar-scandal/

Sheila is generally very reasonable. Almost not even fundie. And she hates Lori, so she's great in my book.

Sheila is generally very reasonable. Almost not even fundie. And she hates Lori, so she's great in my book.

I would place Sheila firmly in the "conservative Christian" camp. IMO, she's a few steps removed from fundie.

Not much.

The Bates couple said, “We are praying for our dear friends†and that they “respect their privacy.â€

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2127466/bringi ... iPMp2ow.99

to the bold :laughing-rofl: :lol: :laughing-rofl:

Since when do the duggars respect their own privacy? toilet birth? mini-golf dry hump? 6 months of Jill wedding? Instagram? Twitter? Hand sex? Kiss count? etc, etc?

oh yeah- I know when :shit-fan:

Do Ken and The Godly Mentor still comment on Shelia's blog?

I haven't seen them in a long time. I think they've given up. I really think they believe Sheila isn't a True Christian and there's no point in trying to win her over because she's been given up to sin.

I haven't seen them in a long time. I think they've given up. I really think they believe Sheila isn't a True Christian and there's no point in trying to win her over because she's been given up to sin.

But Josh, of course, is.

:angry-banghead:

Rebecca(was blogging at A Rather Unusual Maiden but is now at Butterfly Days) has written a post about the Duggars. It is nice that she isn't trying to pretend like what they did is right or normal. And she isn't defending the Duggar parents.

unusualmaidenbutterflydays.blogspot.com/2015/06/why-sex-abuse-against-children-is-big.html

The new police report continues to raise questions about why Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar failed to act in alerting authorities despite Josh’s repeated confessions of sexual molestation and why they didn’t do more to protect their daughters. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar could have faced up to six years in prison for their actions and been charged with Permitting Abuse of a Minor (Arkansas Code 5-27-221).

I believe that what Josh did was wrong, that he knew at the time it was wrong and that his parents failed to protect their daughters, failed to get the girls proper counseling, failed to get Josh REAL help and are failing now at focusing on the victims rather than the abuser

Rebecca(was blogging at A Rather Unusual Maiden but is now at Butterfly Days) has written a post about the Duggars. It is nice that she isn't trying to pretend like what they did is right or normal. And she isn't defending the Duggar parents.

unusualmaidenbutterflydays.blogspot.com/2015/06/why-sex-abuse-against-children-is-big.html

I have followed Rebecca for awhile and my feeling is she's a very reluctant fundie and if given the choice, she'd take her husband and run for the hills.

I was surprised she spoke out about the Duggars and am glad she did. It's too bad she feels like she will get backlash from it, but she sees the parallels in her own life and is exercising her voice. I'm proud of her.

This was a good post :)

I am glad that even though she is a fundie, she sees that sexual abuse is a big deal, not some minor thing. Im glad that she recognised that there are cover ups and lies about the things the Duggar parents said, and that they handled it wrong. Im glad she said that they should have got Josh and the girls real counselling. Im glad she realises that they are focussing on Josh, not the victims, and that this is not right. And I am glad she is posting about the possible psychological effects being sexually abused as a child can have, and how just because Jessa said that its all okay and she forgives her brother for molesting her when she was nine, that it is not, and the fact she is saying this is because of the abuse and how horribly her parents handled it and didn't get her the help she needed. Its also good that she recognised that 14 is old enough to know what youre doing, and he knew it was wrong and continued.

Shame on the other fundies for minimising the effect the abuse had on the victims and making this all revolve around Josh and protecting him, and acting like he was just a curious little kid who didn't know what he was doing. Especially shame on Michelle and Jimbob, they should love and protect their kids, all of them, equally (and in this case, protecting all of them equally would be not protecting Josh from the consequences of his actions, but getting him help so he will not do it again, sometimes you have to do whats best for the family), and yet they still focus on Josh at the expense of their daughters.

I would place Sheila firmly in the "conservative Christian" camp. IMO, she's a few steps removed from fundie.

If you randomly saw them on the street, Sheila and her family wouldn't look that different from Lori and her family. Both go to evangelical churches, have deep faith in Jesus, talk about wanting to strengthen marriage, homeschooled their kids, dress like normal people, etc.

The main difference is that Sheila has no tolerance for abuse.

For Sheila, protecting women and esp. children from mistreatment is a deeply held religious value. For Lori/Ken, abuse is a reason to stick a disclaimer on your blog to cover your ass, but otherwise it's an exception which is used by those with a godless liberal agenda to derail the submission and discipline message of Lori, who is commanded by the God of the universe to tell other women what to do.

Sheila's mentioned on her blog, and I've seen in reported court cases, that her husband (a pediatrician) had had to deal with identifying that a dead child was abused and testifying at the trial. For them, the possibility of a child being hurt by abuse isn't an exception - it's a horrifying reality that Keith has seen and dealt with. Unlike Ken, Keith would be the last person in the world to suggest that mandatory reporting is a bad thing and that families should deal with abuse as they see fit.

I am betting half the reason has to do with them not being able to edit/delete comments.

There are several posts where the comments consist of Lori stamping her foot and insisting that the Pearls are being misrepresented, and Sheila quoting page numbers and passages where dangerous advice is given.

Ken Alexander came to this very board and defended a mother who was abusing her daughter. Even went as far as to say she was not abusive, though she herself suspected she had broken her daughter's arm.

Ken admonished us that we "knew she wasn't abusive".

Speaking of the Alexanders, this was on Emily's public FB page:

What I have been thinking the whole time.

Followed by this link:

http://www.eonline.com/news/663382/sara ... ebook-post

There are several posts where the comments consist of Lori stamping her foot and insisting that the Pearls are being misrepresented, and Sheila quoting page numbers and passages where dangerous advice is given.

I remember very specifically that Lori once using the whole "that's not in my copy" as a defense when Sheila provided page numbers.

Found it

One of the blog writers told me I was wrong and wouldn't budge in her assessment of Debi. She kept referring me to this other blog instead of ever using Debi's own words and if she did use Debi's words, I couldn't find them anywhere in my copy of her book.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2014/09/how-do-you-respond-to-rebuke.html

I believe Ken sometimes comments under Lori's name. Lori's comments are usually brief, but I just found one that went on for eons and had Ken written all over it. :music-tool:

Archived