IGNORED

Alice Pregnancy Addict (alicesbaby)

So Many Lies

Found way too many results when googling that. Boo.

weird, it was the first result for me.

alicesbaby.blogspot.com

Thanks, all. I will fall down this rabbit hole over the weekend. Though...can I get a quick rundown of who exactly she is? Someone who has a lot of children, I gather?

ETA - I have a feeling this woman may upset me since I just found out that I will not be able to have a 2nd child like I'd always planned. :(

Thanks, all. I will fall down this rabbit hole over the weekend. Though...can I get a quick rundown of who exactly she is? Someone who has a lot of children, I gather?

ETA - I have a feeling this woman may upset me since I just found out that I will not be able to have a 2nd child like I'd always planned. :(

Oh... girl. So been there. It's a tough one to accept, but now that my unintended one-and-done is a middle schooler, I find that I'm sort of looking forward to life after child rearing. I only mention that because I didn't know if I'd ever get over it. I really, really wanted my kiddo to not be an only child. I'm still sad about not being able to have another but I am coming to accept it and be OK with it. It was especially tough when my kiddo would fervently wish for a baby brother or sister. Ouch. He's past that now.

Uh, so anyways. I meant this as a sincere there-there post and instead just vomited a bunch of my stuff. THERE-THERE!

Test #3, 5:38 AM EDT. 694 mL of clear, dark yellow urine from 2 voids. Urine added to clean, still water in toilet bowl, then test strip dunked up to maximum line for the 5 seconds specified by the test instructions. Control line visible within 30 seconds. Test line was a couple shades darker than white by the 5 minute wait time specified by the test instructions. However, the line was so faint the results were inconclusive in the extreme...not something I think would cause most folks to assume it's a positive pregnancy test. In my own experience, this is the sort of result that prompted me to go out and buy one of the digital tests, BECAUSE the initial results were so inconclusive. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with my Fiance of Awesome announcing to the entire world that I was definitely, 100% no-question-about-it pregnant.

Result: Inconclusive, would require verification by digital testing or blood test.

Although Alice would definitely consider it a positive. :roll:

Ok, even though it was inconclusive, I have to admit that I am super bummed that science is not totally on my side on this! Like, what the fuck, science? I want it to be a definite negative, because no way could toilet water be used for a pregnancy test because come the fuck on.

ETA: Thanks again for doing this, Phoebe! While I think science can suck it right now, I still think you're tops.

Oh... girl. So been there. It's a tough one to accept, but now that my unintended one-and-done is a middle schooler, I find that I'm sort of looking forward to life after child rearing. I only mention that because I didn't know if I'd ever get over it. I really, really wanted my kiddo to not be an only child. I'm still sad about not being able to have another but I am coming to accept it and be OK with it. It was especially tough when my kiddo would fervently wish for a baby brother or sister. Ouch. He's past that now.

Uh, so anyways. I meant this as a sincere there-there post and instead just vomited a bunch of my stuff. THERE-THERE!

Thanks. I am having a real hard time with it. I technically 'could' attempt to have another child. But I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease (RA.) And being off meds in order to have a child could cause permanent damage that could severely ruin my quality of life. So I am having to come to terms with a horrible diagnosis as well as never having another child. It's very overwhelming.

Okay...now I'm the one vomiting all of my stuff. Ha!

Oh boy, I am sorry. That is a whopper, well beyond my meager THERE-THERE. Take care of yourself and your little one.

Except I'm pretty sure they only have parsnips (make parsnips? do parsnips?) when she's ovulating... At least that's what is sounds like when she's obsessively plotting possible conception.

...and they say romance is dead.

Oh boy, I am sorry. That is a whopper, well beyond my meager THERE-THERE. Take care of yourself and your little one.

Thanks. I am grateful to have a wonderful husband and family to help me get through this. But I find myself getting really pissed off when I see people like these fame whores. As well as people like the Duggars who just pop out babies they don't even care about. Assholes.

I had always planned on having two kids, but after it took some serious fertility drugs and a difficult pregnancy with bedrest and a tricky labor, my husband kept talking me out of #2 until our son was well into elementary school. Now he's starting 11th grade and while I will be devastated when he goes to college and we're empty nesters, in a way it is also going to be awesome. We have been visiting colleges for the past few years, but every so often I tell him (he goes to public school) that I am going to "home college" him. He always laughs and says that College Minus doesn't offer engineering! I also found out I have some serious thyroid and insulin resistance issues, so it was probably just as well that I only had one. The best thing now is my son is in a tight knit group of five boys and three of them are only children, so at least he's not the outlier.

That said, I agree that a THERE THERE is in order - it sucks not being able to have the family size you want, especially when everyone around seems to be popping out kids and these fundies have more than they can handle. I can say it's hard at the beginning, but it does get better as they get older.

I had always planned on having two kids, but after it took some serious fertility drugs and a difficult pregnancy with bedrest and a tricky labor, my husband kept talking me out of #2 until our son was well into elementary school. Now he's starting 11th grade and while I will be devastated when he goes to college and we're empty nesters, in a way it is also going to be awesome. We have been visiting colleges for the past few years, but every so often I tell him (he goes to public school) that I am going to "home college" him. He always laughs and says that College Minus doesn't offer engineering! I also found out I have some serious thyroid and insulin resistance issues, so it was probably just as well that I only had one. The best thing now is my son is in a tight knit group of five boys and three of them are only children, so at least he's not the outlier.

That said, I agree that a THERE THERE is in order - it sucks not being able to have the family size you want, especially when everyone around seems to be popping out kids and these fundies have more than they can handle. I can say it's hard at the beginning, but it does get better as they get older.

Thanks. It's always nice to hear from people who have an "only child." I really don't know too many...probably since so many people I know are Catholic...ha! My son is about to turn 2 so thankfully I have many years ahead with him at home. But I do get a bit sad knowing he's the last. As soon as he moves on to a new "phase of life"...it's going to be hard. I was just crying yesterday thinking about how in a couple weeks...I've never again have a 1 year old. Just little things like that are depressing. And then I think about Christmas morning for him with no siblings. It seems so odd to me since I have a brother and a sister. I don't know....I'm just trying to keep my head above water right now. I like having Free Jinger as a bit of an escape.

Thanks. It's always nice to hear from people who have an "only child." I really don't know too many...probably since so many people I know are Catholic...ha! My son is about to turn 2 so thankfully I have many years ahead with him at home. But I do get a bit sad knowing he's the last. As soon as he moves on to a new "phase of life"...it's going to be hard. I was just crying yesterday thinking about how in a couple weeks...I've never again have a 1 year old. Just little things like that are depressing. And then I think about Christmas morning for him with no siblings. It seems so odd to me since I have a brother and a sister. I don't know....I'm just trying to keep my head above water right now. I like having Free Jinger as a bit of an escape.

I often wish I'd gotten more into my pregnancy - that I'd journaled about it or tried to enjoy it more if that was possible - but at the time I didn't know it would be my only time. I had really wanted twins to be "one and done," but it didn't happen. Fortunately my son tells me all the time how he likes being an only, especially because he doesn't have to share us with another sibling and he's gotten to do things (like summer programs and travel) that he wouldn't have been able to had we had more kids. I think the oddest thing is now having one kid is some weird middle area - not a childless couple, but not one with kids, plural, just kid, single. I have a brother so for a long time I felt guilty not giving my son a sibling, but he is totally fine with it. In fact for siblings day this year we took a picture of him putting his arm around an invisible sibling and posted it on Facebook and people thought it was funny. It helped for me to ask adults I know who were only children how they handled it, as well as friends with older only children. My son is also super outgoing, so my pediatrician said when he was three he'd be fine as an only. I call everything the "one and done" thing - first and last time I go through everything as a parent (kindergarten, sports teams, middle school, puberty, etc.) and it's OK. Find some people who also have only kids - either your child's age or older - and get support from those parents. It helps. :)

I've been reaching out to the few people I know who are only children or have an only child. But I know so few people like that, unfortunately.

I was just crying yesterday when talking about how if I had known my pregnancy would be my only one...maybe I would have looked at it differently. And I had a really rough time the first year. I wish I'd enjoyed it all more. So the positive spin on this is that now I will probably enjoy things even more than I would have before.

Another thing that makes me extra worried is that my son is way behind verbally. He doesn't say any actual words. And he may be a bit on the slower side physically too. He's started speech therapy. But there is talks of him possibly have apraxia of speech. So I am even more worried about him in the future because of all this.

And then the horrible side of me thinks "I'll never know what it's like to have a child without some sort of delay/issue." I feel guilty when I think that though.

Ugh. Sorry...I am totally derailing this thread. I should probably start one in the "Are you there Free Jinger" section.

I've been reaching out to the few people I know who are only children or have an only child. But I know so few people like that, unfortunately.

I was just crying yesterday when talking about how if I had known my pregnancy would be my only one...maybe I would have looked at it differently. And I had a really rough time the first year. I wish I'd enjoyed it all more. So the positive spin on this is that now I will probably enjoy things even more than I would have before.

Another thing that makes me extra worried is that my son is way behind verbally. He doesn't say any actual words. And he may be a bit on the slower side physically too. He's started speech therapy. But there is talks of him possibly have apraxia of speech. So I am even more worried about him in the future because of all this.

And then the horrible side of me thinks "I'll never know what it's like to have a child without some sort of delay/issue." I feel guilty when I think that though.

Ugh. Sorry...I am totally derailing this thread. I should probably start one in the "Are you there Free Jinger" section.

I'm an only child, and I didn't miss siblings one bit. I always tell people who ask "You can't miss what you don't have". It's really as simple as that. My mum was by herself for most of my life, and took great care not to spoil me, but always had time for me and made sure we had room for friends to sleep over etc. I didn't envy my friends their siblings because it seemed to be they were always fighting with one another :lol: Or so it seemed from the outside.

I loved to curl up with a book, still do, so I guess that was a good thing, and Mum would always play board games and stuff with me, the kind of thing you need a friend for. We'd cook together, go to movies, museums, art galleries, and she could afford it because there was only one of me. I think being an only child helped make me more self reliant and more able to do things on my own if I needed to, rather than waiting for someone to go with or do whatever with.

Don't worry about your son "needing" a sibling. As long as you love on him and give him plenty of your time, he'll be fine :D

Agree with all the above.

I have my doubts they do it at all unless there's a chance of pregnancy.

Oh and she normally just says, "parsnips occurred" .... at such and such a day before/after ovulation.

I've never seen her say "we Parsnipped".

Although back in the old blog she did talk about buying more adult clothing so she could feel "parsnippy". So it can be an adjective!

Why oh why did I read so much of this stuff!

Ok, even though it was inconclusive, I have to admit that I am super bummed that science is not totally on my side on this! Like, what the fuck, science? I want it to be a definite negative, because no way could toilet water be used for a pregnancy test because come the fuck on.

ETA: Thanks again for doing this, Phoebe! While I think science can suck it right now, I still think you're tops.

Oh, I'd argue that science is still on your side, since the test was super-inconclusive and this couple was treating it as though the test was 100% positive, and (at least to my mind) makes their response sketchy as hell. :cray-cray:

Another chiming in here to say I get it. I was actually just crying to my husband yesterday that my baby is 4 now and growing up too fast and I'll never get to have another baby. Mine is adopted and he didn't come home until he was almost 2 so I actually missed a big chunk of getting to have a baby.

Daffydilly - Thanks...your post really helps a lot! :)

Heagleca - I am sorry you didn't get to experience the first two years. But that is amazing that you adopted! I am sure your baby is quite loved. I also have a feeling I am going to blink and my 2 year old will be a 4 year old.

Here's a stupid thing that pisses me off about having an only: I never, ever, EVER get to say "Ah, yes, I recognize this phase and have the experience and knowledge to say that x,y and z will Nip That Shit In The Bud." Motherfuck, we only get the prototype kid! We never get Kid 2.0. Every single phase the kiddo hits, my husband and I are all, "What the shit is this? Why he do this? Maybe if we just quietly back away, he'll just... stop." Yeah, that only works like 4% of the time. Heck, half the time, I feel like I learn most of my parenting skills from TV commercials (and find myself always lacking).

/bad parent rant

I'm an only child, and I didn't miss siblings one bit. I always tell people who ask "You can't miss what you don't have". It's really as simple as that. My mum was by herself for most of my life, and took great care not to spoil me, but always had time for me and made sure we had room for friends to sleep over etc. I didn't envy my friends their siblings because it seemed to be they were always fighting with one another [emoji38] Or so it seemed from the outside.

I loved to curl up with a book, still do, so I guess that was a good thing, and Mum would always play board games and stuff with me, the kind of thing you need a friend for. We'd cook together, go to movies, museums, art galleries, and she could afford it because there was only one of me. I think being an only child helped make me more self reliant and more able to do things on my own if I needed to, rather than waiting for someone to go with or do whatever with.

Don't worry about your son "needing" a sibling. As long as you love on him and give him plenty of your time, he'll be fine :D

(Mostly) only child here.

I agree that I didn't miss what I never had. However, being older, it would be nice to have a sibling to lean on for elder care support. Also my kids will not have cousins. In some of the communities we work in, almost all the kids are related. It makes me a little sad/lonely.

(Mostly) only child here.

I agree that I didn't miss what I never had. However, being older, it would be nice to have a sibling to lean on for elder care support. Also my kids will not have cousins. In some of the communities we work in, almost all the kids are related. It makes me a little sad/lonely.

My son's kids could still have cousins. Just because someone is an only child doesn't mean their children wouldn't have cousins. Now if two only-children marry each other then that is a different story.

My son's kids could still have cousins. Just because someone is an only child doesn't mean their children wouldn't have cousins. Now if two only-children marry each other then that is a different story.

I was talking about my specific situation.

Heagleca, half of my kiddos were older child adoptions. It seems to hit me the hardest with my oldest, but he constantly rolls his eyes at me that every milestone he hits I bawl and declare I am not ready yet! But I didn't get him until 7, everything happens WAY too soon when you miss those early years.

Heagleca, half of my kiddos were older child adoptions. It seems to hit me the hardest with my oldest, but he constantly rolls his eyes at me that every milestone he hits I bawl and declare I am not ready yet! But I didn't get him until 7, everything happens WAY too soon when you miss those early years.

Thanks for sharing! You're right, everything happens too fast. I blinked and he's 4 and he's matured SO MUCH and I almost find myself wanting my wild baby back, but it is still fun watching him grow and hit new milestones. I just wish we could do it again.

Ahem.

It occurs to me that we don't have a single post count title involving the word 'parsnips'.

I know, I know, I couldn't believe it either! :o

Could somebody cleverer than me please come up with one? Thoughtful? Anyone? Maybe after I have my coffee I'll think of something worthy.