IGNORED

Favorite Old TV shows

Toothfairy

What's your favorite TV show (s) that you still like to watch but no longer on air.

My favorites are Roseanne this show is hilarious, Gilmore Girls, The Nanny, The Fresh Prince, Little House on the Prairie, Walker Texas Ranger, Strong medicine , Facts of Life. I'm old :pink-shock:

I agree with Roseanne, The Fresh Prince, and Facts of Life. Love those! 3rd Rock From The Sun, Home Improvement, and Boy Meets World are old favorites, too.

What's your favorite TV show (s) that you still like to watch but no longer on air.

My favorites are Roseanne this show is hilarious, Gilmore Girls, The Nanny, The Fresh Prince, Little House on the Prairie, Walker Texas Ranger, Strong medicine , Facts of Life. I'm old :pink-shock:

Too many to count. Right now, I'm re-watching Stargate (Tor.com is doing a season-a-week re-watch, we're up to season 5 now). That will lead into Stargate Atlantis, and SG Universe (which was not my favorite). I've also got WKRP in Cincinnati checked out from the library right now.

There are a couple of satellite channels that are showing some good old stuff right now, the cheesy goodness of my childhood. So I watch the occasional episode of Airwolf, A-Team, Love Boat, Six Million Dollar Man (admittedly, pretty sure I never saw that one until it was already in reruns), Starsky & Hutch, Big Valley, that kind of thing. Designing Women, Golden Girls, Northern Exposure, Numb3rs. Then there's the less-cheesy goodness, like Quantum Leap and MacGyver, which I love. And, any time I find Gilmore Girls or Veronica Mars or Buffy or Firefly while I'm channel surfing, I will stop for a while, even though I own them all on DVD.

I've also got a couple of shows that I miss, that aren't on DVD yet and may never be - mainly, The Sentinel (UPN mid-90s, 3 seasons) and Legend (the UPN series with Richard Dean Anderson and John de Lancie, not the movie with Sting in leather pants or whatever it was). For those two, lets just say the idea of getting copies of copies from another fan is the only way I'll probably ever get to see them again. Neither are in syndication, and other than the first season of Sentinel, DVD releases don't seem to be in the cards.

Did you see Will Smith on the Graham Norton show a while back, with his son and Alfonso Ribiero? Pretty sure you can find it on Youtube, it was hilarious. There was dancing, and the Fresh Prince theme song.

Frasier, Queer as Folk (US), All in the Family, Maude, House MD, Cheers, Father Ted.

Okay, some of these aren't OLD, but they're off the air.

Gilmore Girls for sure. :) But much farther back, I can watch The Andy Griffith Show and The Dick Van Dyke Show any time I happen to come across them when channel-surfing. And sometimes The Waltons, the earlier seasons, and the original Star Trek, depending on the episode. I had huge crushes on both John-Boy and Spock, I'm not sure what that says about me. :shifty-kitty:

Wings

Murder She Wrote (OMG, what I wouldn't do for another Murder, She Wrote TV movie. I am still holding out hope, btw)

Matlock

Newhart (where my avatar comes from)

Designing Women

I always loved The Brady Bunch.

Family Ties- I think my first crush was Nick, Mallory's boyfriend

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch

Boy Meets World

Seinfeld.

The Comeback (recently did season 2 after 9 years - was not a fan of Friends but Lisa Kudrow is brilliant in this!).

Arrested Development (more eps coming soon).

Roseanne. My go to to have on in the background on the weekends. Not a fan of the last two seasons, but the early seasons are basically sitcom perfection.

The Waltons. No clue why I love this. I think part of it is that I like to snark on John-boy. I think the intention is for him to be the ideal picture of the first son. Hard-working, selfless, and an all around good guy. However more often then not he comes across as whinny, self-centered and full of himself. Also, the Baldwin ladies are what I picture the Bottkinettes will end up like, less the recipe.

Law and Order (the early years). Oh how I wish TNT would acknowledge that there was a L&O before Sam Waterson. He is good, but I'd like to see the older ones too. Don't care for it after Jerry Orbach left.

Gosh - got to think here.

The Waltons, The Jeffersons, All In The Family, Good Times, Maude, Queer As Folk, What's Happening?, Roseanne, Fantasy Island, Taxi, Frasier, Quincy M.D., Police Woman, Baretta, Kojak, Hawaii Five-O, Trapper John M.D., Picket Fences, Sisters, LA Law, Judging Amy

Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of more.

My husband was flipping channels last night, and landed on Growing Pains. I had so many mixed emotions. Nostalgia, because I was the typical 10 (ish?) year old fangirl and adored Kirk Cameron back then. He was adorable, and given some more time to develop his talent, he could have been a damn fine actor. It's disappointing to say the least.

X-Files. When it was announced there will be 6 new episodes my DH and I immediately went on an X-Files binge. He owns every X-Files season DVD set. I was into the show when it first aired in the early 90's and I was a young teen, and Dana Scully was a real inspiration for me. I don't think there have been - then or today - a lot of strong, intelligent female role models like her. I didn't end up in the STEM fields but she inspired me for a long time to get into science and to think rationally.

Also then - as I still do today - think David Duchovny is hot LOL.

I too love Roseanne. I feel it's still probably one of the most realistic shows (discounting the lotto win and after) of the lives of blue collar American families. I still think Dan Connor is one of the most awesome TV dads of all time. The way the Connors faced their hardships mirrored the way my parents dealt with the blows - which was with a huge dose of humor.

X-Files. When it was announced there will be 6 new episodes my DH and I immediately went on an X-Files binge. He owns every X-Files season DVD set. I was into the show when it first aired in the early 90's and I was a young teen, and Dana Scully was a real inspiration for me. I don't think there have been - then or today - a lot of strong, intelligent female role models like her. I didn't end up in the STEM fields but she inspired me for a long time to get into science and to think rationally.

I too love Roseanne. I feel it's still probably one of the most realistic shows (discounting the lotto win and after) of the lives of blue collar American families. I still think Dan Connor is one of the most awesome TV dads of all time. The way the Connors faced their hardships mirrored the way my parents dealt with the blows - which was with a huge dose of humor.

I was reading an article a while back about the Roseanne. Apparently those involved made a very conscious effort to accurately portray, from not just the plot lines, but to set design of the house and even down to the cloths they wore how a working class family in the midwest would live. They felt that other sitcoms that tried that, failed. Even though the family was supposedly middle class, nothing about how they lived reflected that. Immaculate, well decorated houses, designer cloths, vacations, ect. Roseanne nailed it. The house, with a brown sofa with a crocheted blanket across the back and a beat up washer/drier was realistic. The way the characters dressed, looked like they bought their everyday cloths at Kmart, and their Sunday best from JC Pennys. The show just nailed it in a way no one before or since really has. That was probably why is resonated so well with people, plus that and the fact it was damn funny. The other week I caught the episode where Becky farted in front of the Student Consul. The scene where Darleen is explaining that to her parents was hilarious.

I do think the show started to loose its way when the bought the restaurant after the bike shop closed. But was still a pretty darn good show (except for the last season, was not a fitting way for it to go out).

OMG Becky farting episode was classic. And Elijiah Minelli LMAO. And every year my family looked forward to the Halloween episodes, and the Connors always had the best haunted houses.

Frasier, Queer as Folk (US), All in the Family, Maude, House MD, Cheers, Father Ted.

Okay, some of these aren't OLD, but they're off the air.

Yes, yes, yes! I have the whole QaF box set. Worth every penny. I still haven't managed to get through the last season again, though. The first time around was such a gut punch.

I'll throw out Dead Like Me. I have never related to another protagonist in the way that I do George. As a young adult, it is truly one of the most life-affirming shows, and tackles a lot of the hard stuff in ways that other shows just haven't.

Roseanne. My go to to have on in the background on the weekends. Not a fan of the last two seasons, but the early seasons are basically sitcom perfection.

The Waltons. No clue why I love this. I think part of it is that I like to snark on John-boy. I think the intention is for him to be the ideal picture of the first son. Hard-working, selfless, and an all around good guy. However more often then not he comes across as whinny, self-centered and full of himself. Also, the Baldwin ladies are what I picture the Bottkinettes will end up like, less the recipe.

Law and Order (the early years). Oh how I wish TNT would acknowledge that there was a L&O before Sam Waterson. He is good, but I'd like to see the older ones too. Don't care for it after Jerry Orbach left.

And less the Ashley Longworth stories. At least MIss Emily had her courtship. :?

And less the Ashley Longworth stories. At least MIss Emily had her courtship. :?

I think there is a good probability there has been a suitor or two chased away by Pa Botkins that one or both of them could pine over for eternity.

I think there is a good probability there has been a suitor or two chased away by Pa Botkins that one or both of them could pine over for eternity.

I, too, see the Botkinettes in Emily and Mamie Baldwin. But on the one hand I can also see them partaking of the recipe, because like the Misses Baldwin, they would have no clue what it is.

I liked The Love Boat. it was one of the first "grown-up" shows I was allowed to stay up late to watch.

Forgot The Bernie Mac Show. This show is hilarious. Sons of Anarchy. One Life to live and All my Children. Why do they cancel the good shows :cry:

I wish shows like these were more common these days.

Okay hate me if you want but I hated Becky. She's rude and disrespectful. Darlene I kinda felt for her. Especially when she got her period because she was tomboyish. But sometimes it was hard to feel for her. Dj is and will always be my favorite. Roseanne sister was annoying. Roseanne mother was tolerable and funny at times.

Can't believe I forgot Firefly. Yes, I have the DVDs but it's not the same. And I'm still pissed at FOX about it.

Funny thing, we were watching Buffy reruns the other day, the Ben/Glory season, the episode where the Scoobies are in an RV being chased by Glory and a pack of Crusaders. And I realized, Serenity isn't the first time Joss Whedon tried to stake someone through a windshield. At least Giles survived.

I still miss Stargate, and I still wish I could be Major Carter "when I grow up."

You guys, you guys.

How did none of us mention Freaks and Geeks.

I've never actually watched that. I remember being really underwhelmed by the ads/promos when it was on.

I know "everyone" is in it, and I wonder if I ought to give it a shot.

Archived