IGNORED

Helping Haredi Jews become Modern Orthodox

2xx1xy1JD

Allison Joseph of the Jew in the City blog and YouTube series (and Mayim Bialik's Torah study partner) is starting a new project: reaching out to Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) Jews who want to leave their current lifestyle, but are interested in exploring Modern Orthodox Judaism.

Here's her posts on it: jewinthecity.com/2014/05/to-the-ex-haredim-interested-in-a-more-modern-religious-life/ and jewinthecity.com/2014/06/project-makom-a-place-for-ex-haredim-within-orthodoxy/

The Forward did an article on this project, which included some criticism from the Footsteps organization:

Santo questioned the demand for the service Josephs intends to offer. “I think there are clear communal spaces for people who want to remain Orthodox to walk into,†she said, mentioning Chabad-Lubavitch. “If there’s a cohort of people who do want that, I think that’s totally wonderful, but that’s not the majority of people we see. [Most believe] Modern Orthodoxy is just a watered-down version.â€

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/214178/can- ... z3XNr4XrYb (link not broken because it's a non-fundie newspaper and because they only give permission to copy if the link is included)

Personally, I think it's a worthwhile project. She's not looking to turn every Haredi drop-out Modern Orthodox, but does want to make them more welcome. One of the issues with much of the Modern Orthodox world (and this applies to much of the Reform and Conservative Jewish world as well) is that it simply doesn't have the same warmth and open-door policy that you find in parts of the ultra-Orthodox community. She's trying to change that. There will also be some class issues - the Haredi world is often poor (large families and little secular education), while the Modern Orthodox world focuses far more on secular education and becoming a professional. Bridging that gap so that everyone feels comfortable will be a challenge.

I have to disagree with Santo's comment about Chabad. Now, I happen to attend a Chabad synagogue and it works for me, but Chabad is NOT the place for someone who is leaving the Haredi world. It's the kinder, gentler face of Haredi Judaism and it works for lots of those who have a non-Haredi background and can cherry-pick what they like. The core group, however, still has a lot of Haredi elements.

I do think that Santo's comment that most ex-Haredi believe that Modern Orthodoxy is just a watered-down version is a true reflection of what most believe. This holds true for non-Orthodox Judaism as well. I've noticed that the belief that other movements are just watered-down versions is often the last belief to go. It's a challenge to convince someone brought up to see other movements are illegitimate that they really do have an alternative POV and internal logic that is NOT just about taking shortcuts. Here's an example: viewtopic.php?f=158&t=11162&start=20#p320354 and

I've met a few Modern Orthodox. They seem more open to others, both Jews and non-Jews, and more engaged with non-Jewish communities, than the Haredi I have come across. YMMV, though.

This seems like a nice idea for helping those Jews who want to leave Haredi movements, but keep most of their traditions. It can help them reconcile interacting with the outside world while retaining the parts of their culture they enjoy.

Archived