IGNORED

Parents sue California school district for teaching yoga

16strong

"No other court in the past 50 years has allowed public school officials to lead children in formal religious rituals like the Hindu liturgy of praying to, bowing to, and worshipping the sun god," attorney Dean Broyles said in a statement.

Do these people have their heads so far up their asses that they don't actually know what yoga is? Is that possible?!

I love how they called it a "gateway" into Hinduism. Like it's a drug or something. There's not enough eye rolling for that.

I wonder how this would've gone in Indiana with their bullshit new law. I could see the courts possibly siding with the family because it somehow offends their religion.

I found this comment FTA and wanted to share it, because it's so well-said:

Radical christianity is more of a threat to freedom than radical Islam. These people want to control what you do with your body, they want to control what you do in your bedroom, they want to impose their radical irrational superstitions on everyone by passing laws that enforce their religious doctrines. We are so paranoid about some cave dwelling nomads thousands of miles away that we have to basically be strip searched at the airport, yet we fail to recognize the threats we have right in our own government and schools.

My mom had that same fear for me growing up, so we only did "Christian Yoga". Now it is more of a religious experience for me because I had a teacher who introduced me to the basic principles and now do adhere pretty closely to an Ashtanga practice and strive for the 8 limbs. But that was my choice. Ridiculous, because the basis of yoga is that it is what you make it...and can (and for the most part is, unless you seek it) be taught without any religious impact at all.

We fear that which we do not understand?

And do not want to understand.

As a kid my mom got mad when we even sat in that meditation pose but oddly isn't mad that my sister and I practice yoga.

Even though the yoga taught to Western people isn't religious and doesn't even touch on chakras. Lol.

Besides, what happened to religious diversity/freedom? Yoga is very important in Buddhism, Hinduism, and many other Indian-area-based religions. Represent all religions, I say.

I'm so glad I'm not a teacher or a school official. These damn parents are crazy as hell

And their spawn is allowed to act to like the greatest asshole ever.

The 4th District Court of Appeal in San Diego upheld a lower court ruling that tossed out a family's lawsuit that tried to block Encinitas Union School District from teaching yoga as an alternative to traditional gym classes.

So, I don't know, maybe enroll the kids in a traditional gym class? Problem solved! :angry-banghead:

So, I don't know, maybe enroll the kids in a traditional gym class? Problem solved! :angry-banghead:

Tsk, she's only trying to save everyone else's kids from Satan. Really, she should be given a medal for her heroism.

I can't cut and paste on my phone but PLEASE google "Gandhi yoga" for the best video.

Real yoga is in fact a religious/spiritual practice. The stuff that is typically done in North American gyms or public schools is not.

I found this comment FTA and wanted to share it, because it's so well-said:

Right. Because some random family unsuccessfully protesting a yoga class is totally worse than mass murder and sex slavery and anything else that ISIS does. And because all problems in the world should be ranked by how close they are to that commenter's backyard. And because radical Islam apparently only exists among "cave dwelling nomads" living Very Far Away.

I can't cut and paste on my phone but PLEASE google "Gandhi yoga" for the best video.

Real yoga is in fact a religious/spiritual practice. The stuff that is typically done in North American gyms or public schools is not.

This is very true, and something I learned as I embarked on my own yoga journey. Here, we have a dearth of instructors willing to teach on the actual religious meaning of it. I was very lucky to happen across a few, and that understanding breathed new life and light into my practice. Without that, it's just a sequence of stretches, and you don't generally get into the deep psychological aspects of it. It's really what you make of it, but it's a shame more people don't have the opportunity understand or embrace the history of what they're doing.

I'm so glad I'm not a teacher or a school official. These damn parents are crazy as hell

Same here! I have friends who r teachers & they all say the parents r the worst.

That video is the first I thought of when I saw this thread.

[bBvideo 560,340:bjiy8czj]

[/bBvideo]

Archived