IGNORED

Legacy of Home - Back, and as lugubrious as ever...

Lisa

Mrs. White of Legacy of Home went on hiatus for some time, citing financial strain. She's back with posts like "Despairing over the cold" and "Waiting for mister."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From "Time with Mister:"

In almost 3 decades of marriage, we have never had a "night out." We never went on a "date." It is not something we ever thought about. Our time outside the home or family was always practical. Our outings are essential errands. They have always been that way.

During these drives, we don't argue. We don't talk about any worries or problems because they don't enter our minds. We enjoy the car ride and the beauty around us. Mister makes sure the car heat is warm enough for me, and that I am comfortable. He opens the door for me and makes sure I am safe. These gentlemanly acts of kindness are what make the trips a little respite from the trials of life.

I feel sorry for Mrs. White, although not as sorry as I feel for her daughters.

I guess an unexpected bonus to joining here is vocabulary expansion. My goal tomorrow is to use the word "lugubrious" in a sentence.

I had never heard of this lady's blog. It sounds very depressing. If the high point of my life was not being cold in the car and enjoying the scenery while doing essential errands, I might cry at night.

Lisa, please take one for the team and let us know if something fun happens in her life. Maybe you could send her a funny kitten video or a silly knock-knock joke to distract her from the trials of life. :(

I guess an unexpected bonus to joining here is vocabulary expansion. My goal tomorrow is to use the word "lugubrious" in a sentence.

I had never heard of this lady's blog. It sounds very depressing. If the high point of my life was not being cold in the car and enjoying the scenery while doing essential errands, I might cry at night.

Lisa, please take one for the team and let us know if something fun happens in her life. Maybe you could send her a funny kitten video or a silly knock-knock joke to distract her from the trials of life. :(

I'm searching for fun, but... well, consider this vignette of family life:

My sweet, little grandboy has a sister who is 7 months old. I remember walking around the property with him the first year of his life. I showed him my attempts at gardening and he loved being held while we walked and talked about the Estate. His sister hasn't had that privilege. I have found it difficult, in my old age, to tend to both of them on the grounds without help. I get tired much too easily.

This woman is middle-aged at most, but she suffers from chronic illness and unacknowledged depression. I'm seriously tempted to send her money; maybe a crisp $50 wrapped in a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon.

Ran down that rabbit hole.

It's usually a mistake to long for the good ole days. Those days probably were not as good as the rosy misty memories or fantasies of what it used to be.

And what does lugubrious mean?! lol

I'm searching for fun, but... well, consider this vignette of family life:

My sweet, little grandboy has a sister who is 7 months old. I remember walking around the property with him the first year of his life. I showed him my attempts at gardening and he loved being held while we walked and talked about the Estate. His sister hasn't had that privilege. I have found it difficult, in my old age, to tend to both of them on the grounds without help. I get tired much too easily.

This woman is middle-aged at most, but she suffers from chronic illness and unacknowledged depression. I'm seriously tempted to send her money; maybe a crisp $50 wrapped in a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon.

Calvin and Hobbes is my favorite!

You say she's middle-aged, but she describes herself as elderly. Except for the hot flashes, I'm enjoying my early 50's. How sad that she's basically thrown in the towel already.

Ran down that rabbit hole.

And what does lugubrious mean?! lol

It means sad. You are invited to join me in using that word in a sentence tomorrow. We will sound very smart! :D

Beware of those rabbit holes!

Um, how old is that lady? Cuz I was thinking 70's or 80's.

I'm 50. My mindset is completely different. I cannot fathom this. I need some pearls to clutch.

I'm 50. My mindset is completely different. I cannot fathom this. I need some pearls to clutch.

And even so, being in your 70's doesn't have to be bad.

This is Katharine Ross, last year. She's 75. (married to Sam Elliot since 1984)

post-10046-14452000004321_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking she's in her 50's. She says she is a "housewife over over a quarter of a century". Even if she were married at 30, she'd be late fifties... She doesn't look elderly in her pic on the blog, but no idea how old that is.

And even so, being in your 70's doesn't have to be bad.

This is Katharine Ross, last year. She's 75. (married to Sam Elliot since 1984)

The Legacy back in the 70s. :lol:

Geeez Louise...the way she writes makes me want to run outside and scream...

~ Our newest book, brought to you by "The Legacy of Home Press." ~

This book was written while taking care of grandbabies, cleaning the house, cooking, and caring for the family. It was very difficult to write in my notebook when everyone was sleeping, or jot down Bible verses and look up passages while dinner was cooking. It took many hours of formatting, proofreading and fixing mistakes. It is still imperfect, just as I am. (gentle smiles).

It's soon depressing.

These stories make me realize how very pampered I am. But being warm is one of the greatest needs during a New England winter. Many people spend the year saving for a family vacation, or a shopping spree. We spend our year saving up every dime we can to buy our heat for the winter. I won't even let myself think of what it would be like to visit Hershey, Pennsylvania, Dollywood in Tennessee, or even Disneyland, because as wonderfully enjoyable as those trips would be, I am only able to sit by the wood stove in a rocking chair, reading my Bible, and waiting for the winter to thaw out into a pleasant spring.

She is so old before her time. That's it? All she does all winter?

Read quite a few of her posts. I do like how sweet and loving their marriage sounds. However, even though it is right and good to make the best of what you are dealt, you don't get extra points in life because you struggle (unnecessarily).

Bleak.

Depressing.

Definitely someone who is longing for the good ol' days WAY TOO MUCH.

I'm thinking she's in her 50's. She says she is a "housewife over over a quarter of a century". Even if she were married at 30, she'd be late fifties... She doesn't look elderly in her pic on the blog, but no idea how old that is.

She should be around only 46-49 years old now.

She says in Building a Strong Work Ethic in Our Children: "When I met my husband, at the age of 17, I was working as a secretary in a marine insurance agency, right near the water.

In The Housewife Contract she states "This happened in the 1980's."

Goodness. You're YOUNG, woman! Leave your estate for a few hours and go take a long walk or ride a bike and enjoy life outside. I'm a homebody too, but taking it to this extreme is mind boggling.

She should be around only 46-49 years old now.

She says in Building a Strong Work Ethic in Our Children: "When I met my husband, at the age of 17, I was working as a secretary in a marine insurance agency, right near the water.

In The Housewife Contract she states "This happened in the 1980's."

Goodness. You're YOUNG, woman! Leave your estate for a few hours and go take a long walk or ride a bike and enjoy life outside. I'm a homebody too, but taking it to this extreme is mind boggling.

I found a post where she mentions that her oldest child was ten in 1998.

thelegacyofhome.blogspot.com/2010/12/history-of-our-financial-lives.html

I didn't know the word exists in English (not my first language), but it does exist in Dutch and French, 'luguber' and 'lugubre', nice to know though!!

What a killjoy!

Instead of waiting for winter to thaw, why not embrace it? Xcountry ski, snowshoe, snowmobile, sled...maybe if she got out of the damn house she wouldn't be brooding over theme park and enjoy life a little.

If her eldest was 10 in 1998, maybe they are the right age for the Maxwells? I mean, there's not really much mention of hell in that, but lots of sighing and woefulness, so that should count for something?

Please don't take away my FJ Card - I rather enjoy her stuff! Unless I missed something, she's just reporting on life as she knows it, shilling her book but not otherwise looking for handouts a la Los Rodrigues, nor ramming her religion throat-ward a la Maxhell.

I'd've preferred gestures of consideration and affection from a partner on car rides to everyday chores, over the grudging trips to vacation lands or 4-star restaurants where the silence was strained and the conversation curt. But that's me.

Thanks, OP, for the referral! If I read something there that causes snark, I'll be back!! Until then, I'm just kind of enjoying her Eeyore In The Simple Life vibe.

We're in the midst of a glorious Texas spring -- bluebonnets and other wildflowers are starting to come out, redbuds blooming, trees leafing out everywhere, (I'm not getting into the insane pollen load, that's another story) and we're almost certainly past any possibility of even a light frost. Can't imagine what it's been like in the northeast where everyone has been pounded by relentless storms. Yes, there are winter sports to be enjoyed, but not in a blizzard.

I have some friends who lived in Maine caretaking a state park that had been a farm (near the ocean). They used to laugh about people in Maine, because no one could ever admit that they weren't busy as bees and working very hard and they tended to be somewhat taciturn as well. I'm wondering if this woman isn't just a New Englander born and bred and that comes out in her writing.

Also, looking at that house, I can only imagine what it takes to heat a drafty colonial era house through a looooong Vermont winter.

The way she writes about "Mister" really weirds me out. It reminds me of a dependent 24/7 BDSM relationship... and this is coming from someone who is into kink.

Geez :? My mom is 60 and I have to struggle to keep up with her. She has more energy than I do.

She'd run circles around this poor woman and then start dragging her along with her. So sad :(

I haven't read the blog (link?), but I'm going to admit that my husband and I are similarly pleased with the little things in life. We hold hands and kiss and grab butts like pervy teens when we run errands without kids. I have never cared about going on actual dates (and tbh, I can only count a handful of times where I DID go on a date, married or not) but rather just enjoying some quiet time together. And as someone who has chronic pain, I can fully empathize with her lack of energy. When I'm not sick, I have "DO ALL THE THINGS" days that really tend to do me more harm than good.

iow, it's hard to snark on someone who sounds pretty much like a normal person (from where I sit).

Wow, I hope I don't fall completely apart in the next ten years like she has. My parents are starting to slow down quite a bit as they move from early 70s to late 70s. I'd say within 5-10 years you'll be able to describe them as elderly.

She had a 15 year old in 2013. Assuming she was 45 when he was born she'd now be 62. Which, not elderly.

I'd also like to put in a vote for not assuming aything by how someone looks. A wizened prune of a person could be a marathoner, while a fresh faced ingenue could be immobilised by arthritis and alzheimers. You never ever know, which is why you should hold the door for everyone and offer to help anyone changing a tire.

Archived