IGNORED

Legacy of Home - Back, and as lugubrious as ever...

Lisa

What's with the paper plates? Wouldn't it be cheaper to use real plates? I have seen plenty of inexpensive dishes at thrift stores -- there's no reason to continually buy paper plates unless you don't have running water or something.

And since when is making biscuits hard work? You cut the fat in, mix in the milk, knead a few times, roll or drop and bake. 10 - 15 minutes tops (I've never timed myself, so I could be off a bit, but I don't remember biscuits ever taking me very long -- unless she's making yeast biscuits? Maybe those take longer.)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TARYN! This entry about how Mrs White had a supermarket spending plan to afford her Thanksgiving dinner has a comment from Taryn! I hadn't realized how much I missed her.

TarynNovember 23, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Just purified water was a concern for the pilgrims. I googled- did the pilgrims drink beer?- good articles about the Mayflower and beer,etc. I had read years ago that they purified their water with very low-alcohol beer and gave it to their children. In Jesus' time they purified the water with grape juice/low-alcohol wine. We drink purified reverse-osmosis water-in small bottles(less plasticides). Abeka's high school health book goes into the history of fermentation and distillation. We just have water and apple cider at our Thanksgiving table.

http://thelegacyofhome.blogspot.ca/2010/11/preparing-for-thanksgiving-in-hard.html

What's with the paper plates? Wouldn't it be cheaper to use real plates? I have seen plenty of inexpensive dishes at thrift stores -- there's no reason to continually buy paper plates unless you don't have running water or something.

And since when is making biscuits hard work? You cut the fat in, mix in the milk, knead a few times, roll or drop and bake. 10 - 15 minutes tops (I've never timed myself, so I could be off a bit, but I don't remember biscuits ever taking me very long -- unless she's making yeast biscuits? Maybe those take longer.)

I'm a non-baker who makes biscuits and scones because they're super easy. Hell, we made them in middle school home ec. Even less-than-stellar biscuits are pretty good. As for paper plates, I suspect it's a combination of laziness/false economy and a complete lack of care for the environment. So many fundie blogs extol old-fashioned homemaking... with paper plates, disposable napkins, and prefab food. I l recently moved to a small city (actually two towns separated by a river) that has six thrift stores that I've seen so far. You can get clean, intact Corel dishes for 10 to 25 cents apiece.

Are those chicken nuggets on the table? I will admit to microwaving chicken nuggets for my kids in a pinch, but for a fancy, "home cooked" meal?

It's pretty incongruous, Mrs White giving her daughter lessons in gracious homemaking, setting the table with flowers and candlelight, in her apron with classical music in the background, and then everybody gets a paper plate of nuked McNuggets. Talk about an anticlimax.

I'm a non-baker who makes biscuits and scones because they're super easy. Hell, we made them in middle school home ec. Even less-than-stellar biscuits are pretty good. As for paper plates, I suspect it's a combination of laziness/false economy and a complete lack of care for the environment. So many fundie blogs extol old-fashioned homemaking... with paper plates, disposable napkins, and prefab food. I l recently moved to a small city (actually two towns separated by a river) that has six thrift stores that I've seen so far. You can get clean, intact Corel dishes for 10 to 25 cents apiece.

Word.

The ones who know how to sew and regularly use paper towels at meals are puzzling to me. If you sew, you most likely have umpteen pounds of fabric squirelled away in various locations. Go through your stash, find some fabric that works well for napkins, and make some extra large ones for your household.

If you don't sew, check the thrift stores and garage sales in your area for napkins, tablecloths, and placemats while you are there looking for dishes. I buy clothing items at thrift stores sometimes because I know I can use the fabric for something else. For instance, old jeans can be taken apart and sewn into placemats for a household with a casual dining area.

These people truly do baffle me... :think:

You can get clean, intact Corel dishes for 10 to 25 cents apiece.

Word again. I just replaced all my mom's ceramic everyday dishes with Corel from the thrift store. They are a lot lighter and easier to handle as she gets older and more frail. I'm amazed at how often they survive being dropped to the floor also.

• 1 month later...

thelegacyofhome.blogspot.ca/2015/05/confined-to-nursery.html

Mrs. White has an absolute genius for passive aggressive writing; it's really too bad there isn't any money in it because she could afford the big New England house based on this post alone. I'm tempted to start a Go Fund Me to get her a doctor and a spa day or two, but she'd just hand it over to Mister. :(

Archived