IGNORED

Joseph Maxwell made a music video for Elissa!

SPHASH

I read the newest post and was struck by a name change right in the middle. In the first two paragraphs, she refers to the girls - Bethany and Tina. Then, suddenly in the middle of the post, it's "Betsy and Tina." Has she ever been referred to as Betsy before? What is with these people and changing names?!?

I know I have seen them refer to Bethany by a shortened name, but I can't remember what, but fairy sure it wasn't Betsy. That seems new.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I have seen them refer to Bethany by a shortened name, but I can't remember what, but fairy sure it wasn't Betsy. That seems new.

I think they've called her Bethie, which makes sense. Betsy, not so much. But then, they PRAY about their names to make sure that they're right with god so I guess they got the okay to change it from the Big Guy.

Anna went to bed at the same time as a 4 and 2 year old? She didn't stay up hanging out with Melanie after the littlies went to bed? That's really weird. But I guess Anna won't count as an adult equal who can stay up with her SIL till she marries and magically matures - so never.

And 4 year old Bethany wakes up early for her quiet bible time? I know some kids read at 4, one of mine read quite well at that age, but not KJV well - and the Maxwells are, of course, KJV only.

I noticed the Betsy, too. They have always called her Bethy. Wonder what changed.

And then Stevehovah commanded "Let her name be Betsy", and it was so.

In Maxwell Land, no. DEATH is their theme.

I haven't read the post. Whose funeral was it? Honestly, my dad took me to a funeral when I was that young. It was a friend of his grandmother's who had passed away. She was well into her 90's, and she used to send me gifts and cards because she had never married or had children. I remembering wanting to go, mostly because I had never been to a funeral and - morbid child that I was - I wanted to see a body. Closed casket though, and I found the funeral full of boring old people who thought I was adorable.

Looking back, I think my dad offered to take me because he knew that I liked the lady and he wanted me to realize that dying was a natural part of life and she was an old lady who had lived a tremendous life, and it was our chance to say goodbye to her and wish her well on her journey.

And I just realized that I am trying to make sense out of a Maxwell funeral death post. :angry-banghead:

I gleaned on Melanie's sister's FB that an uncle of theirs died and the funeral was in TX.

Perhaps one of the littles has a lisp/slight speech impediment that makes it sound more like Betsy than Bethy?

"Christopher's forte is lighting" --- I've had a good day, and this was just the lagniappe! Almost laughed out loud.

Curious that if it was a relative of Melanie's that died, only Abby and Nathan are mentioned as attending the funeral? Wouldn't Melanie have wanted to go, taking ... a, b, c, Daniel, darius ... drew Drew! along for nursing, etc.?

Perhaps, in good women-are-chattel fashion, saying that Nathan went somewhere just implies that Melanie went along. Two shall be as one, and all that.

I'm still giggling over "Christopher's forte is lighting." :roll: :P

ETA: Taking a 6-yo to a funeral isn't that big a deal in Christian families of my acquaintance (which is most of my acquaintance), especially in Christian families who believe the body is but an empty shell, that the spirit has gone to be with the loving Savior, Jesus.

And Abby appears to be a pretty solid 6-yo, maybe even a little advanced for her age. I'm pleased to think that she got to hear a funeral sermon from somebody other than Grandpa Maxwell. Yes, I *am* the eternal optimist, but I would suppose that most sermons are better than Steve's.

When I was 5, I went to the funeral of my uncle who hanged himself on a tree. It wasn't traumatic in the least. I did find the method of dying slightly traumatic at that age (and, sadly, a good idea at the time) but that was the concept of suicide, not the actual funeral.

Also, the young children were mostly in a room with toys. I played with my cousins. I MIGHT have seen the body but I don't remember... Mostly I just remember playing with cousin S. We had a lot of fun together.

Re Joseph, he does seem quite stocky but gynaemastica aka 'moobs' is a real thing and is not actually dependent on one's weight or body size. You can be thin and have gynaemastica, just like you can be thin and have cellulite. I don't think Joseph is out of shape (and I think body snarking on men is just as unacceptable as body snarking on women and non-binary gender people), he just has a stockier body type.

Yeah, I'm not down with the body-slamming here, either. It's just mean.

It's kind of nice that Nathan went to represent their family, although I'm sure he used it as a teaching experience about death, sin, and hell. At least Abby got to see her grandma, aunts, and cousins.

No pics from the actual sleepover.

Per the comments, the funeral was NOT for a family member.

Interesting. Someone they used to go to church with before they started their own in the nursing home/assisted living? Oh wait; Nathan may have actually kept in touch with people they were friends with way back then. Before they became as insular. Obviously they don't want to go into detail of who; hopefully respecting the privacy of the deceased and their family.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I'm actually shocked my comment got through! I was the one who asked that question and talked about camp counselor experience. After all, I'm sure poor Steve could NEVER let his CHILDREN go to away camp WITHOUT their mom and dad
It just seems different. After all, as someone pointed out, if it was one of the seniors in their church, wouldn't the funeral be local?

"Mourning Days with the Moodys".

I've got an idea for an alternate title on the same concept, " The Maudlin Moodys Morose Mourning".

I would bet a bean burrito since you can't taste the difference that "Betsy" is a typo for "Bethy". Maxwells are not known for proofing. Anything.

So now I am confused. Is Melanie the pregnant one? I can never keep anyone straight with this family. Could that be a reason she didn't go? At first, I didn't even notice that it wasn't mentioned that Melanie went. Maybe she was sick and couldn't travel. If that is the case, then a Maxwell son actually did something nice for his wife by going to the funeral. I also think it is nice that Abby can see this as taking a special, important trip with Daddy.

I don't have kids but I don't really have a problem with taking kids to funerals. I grew up in a family where everyone, of all ages, went to every funeral, wedding, etc. We still do it. None of us have had a problem as a result. It's just the way our family works. Maybe it is just family and child dependent but, if I ever had a child, I would likely do the same. I can find a multitude of probelms with Maxwell parenting but taking Abby or any of the kids to a funeral is not one of them. Plus, I like the idea of the little Maxwells having as much contact with none Maxwell family as possible. Strengthen those ties for when they possibly fly the coop.

Archived