IGNORED

Movie "The Interview" cancelled due to terrorists threats

BrownieMomma

Cannot believe this.... I saw commercials for it....

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/hollywood- ... 19917.html

The drama surrounding the hack attack on Sony (which federal sources are now linking to North Korea) to derail the Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy The Interview came to an unexpected climax today when Sony announced that it would no longer release the movie on Christmas Day. And many of the actors’ Hollywood colleagues are perplexed and/or downright furious with the studio’s decision, which follows threats of violence against theaters screening the film and the decision by five major movie chains not to run it.

You know it’s bad when Rob Lowe and Newt Gingrinch are both attacking you. Here are some of the most notable reactions we’ve seen from Hollywood so far on Twitter:

the hackers must have some serious dirt on sony to get them to cancel a movie like this. they've already released some pretty controversial, embarrassing stuff...makes you wonder what they haven't released yet.

It's a Seth Rogen movie. If North Korea had ignored it, you'd have some stoners watch it, possibly waste their $10, and it would be on video and forgotten before long.

North Korea had previously complained to the UN that this movie was "an act of war". Most of us laughed at the temper tantrum and thought it was another sign of how ridiculous the North Korean regime was. I mean, did Canada call the South Park move an act of war? Kazakstan was a bit more offended by Borat, but never did anything about it. Iran put out some crazy propaganda, but movies like Argo and Rosewater still got released.

Now, however, seeing what's probably a mediocre movie becomes a matter of freedom, because hell no, I don't want the North Koreans imposing their crazy oppression and censorship on us. I actually believe in the power of snark, especially political snark. I know Sony is a private company ultimately interested in the bottom line, and I know that they felt they didn't have a lot of options, but I'd still love to see the movie released, even online in some form, just to make sure that they don't succeed in their intimidation.

Meanwhile, those craving a Seth Rogen fix will have to make do with the promotion video for his old summer camp:

I am all ready to storm my local theater and watch The Interview, when I normally would have waited for Redbox or Netflix.

idk I just kinda wonder what's really going on. It's kinda hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea that the leader of N Korea is so offended by some American movie that he's behind terrorist threats to 9/11 theaters on Christmas Day. Does he think we'd sit idly by and not defend against such threats, not mention retaliate?

Don't like this.

Update:

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-behin ... ector.html

President Barack Obama vowed that the United States will respond to the devastating cyber attack on Sony Pictures blamed on the North Korean government.

Obama said the cyber attack "caused a lot of damage" to Sony but that he believed the company made a mistake in canceling the release of "The Interview," a comedy portraying the assassination of the North Korean leader, Kim Jong Un.

You go Mr. President. Don't let those N Koreans get away with this!

I'm starting to wonder how much Sony really fought against this...by all accounts it was a mediocre film. You can't buy publicity like that. Now everyone's going to see it, cuz 'Murica.

I'm starting to wonder how much Sony really fought against this...by all accounts it was a mediocre film. You can't buy publicity like that. Now everyone's going to see it, cuz 'Murica.

The question is WHERE they will see it, since the theatres backed out of carrying it. It would have to be through video. If they manage that, though, I'm sure all the controversy would make it far more successful than the original theatre release would have been.

I hesitate to point this out, but the film is arguably as Canadian as it is American.

I have a feeling Sony will either do a 'normal' release, or they won't release it at all. If they were to do a DVD release, the insurance payment that they will get will be much less than if they scrap it all together.

Looks like we may get to see the movie after all:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/24/7423 ... ew-online-

Here's hoping it becomes a massive viral hit (instead of the flop that it would have likely become if North Korea had done nothing).

i was suspecting it would be released this way, since the theatres backed out of carrying it. it's the perfect solution, really. if they threaten the theatres, offer it online. they can't bomb the internets.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I watched The Interview about three weeks ago. The comedy was well-suited to our personal tastes: A lot of ass jokes, and so on.

What I enjoy most about the film, however, is how people have reacted to Sony's decision to keep it from theatres: It became forbidden fruit, and perhaps it will end up a comedy classic - and not merely because it was banned, but because the depiction of Americans laughing at Kim Jong Un and eventually assassinating him cuts right to the heart of North Korean propaganda about the incorruptibility of their leader.

Some North Korean defectors, including this guy, believe seeing these things on-screen will demonstrate the truth of how their leader is viewed by the wider world.

This movie is on my netflix but I already watched a stream of it online, for the life of me can't remember where.

Archived