IGNORED

Caroling/Maxhell Christmas - MERGE

justakitten

Growing up in Israel, local radio stations played, on average, about 40% Israeli music, 30% American and 30% European. Queen songs were bread-and-butter, and WHAM!, and Alphaville, and many now-extinct French and German songs (99 red balloons, anyone?).

Not that the Maxwells will appreciate a diverse musical diet...

Wow flashback. i remember 99 Red Balloons. i got into alt. rock by way of some harder Christian music and i guess the station loved to play the original as well as the Goldfinger cover (not sure lol it's been a while). It's a good song, i love her voice. I had no idea it was from the '80s. I don't think the version they played had the synthesizer though, total give away for 80's music. :lol:

Thanks for the youtube trip down memory lane. 8-)

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge Queen fan here since the late 70s. Loved FM, such a genius. There are some great documentaries out there and interviews with him. Of course, by the time he played the Wembley Stadium concert, he already knew he was quite ill.

One thing I found fascinating about him is that he purposefully never fixed his teeth. He thought it would affect the projection of his voice. It's not that he didn't recognize the overbite, he just didn't want to change his sound.

He was brilliant. Shy. Brought so many people together with his enthusiasm and stage presence. And his band mates never really knew for sure what went on in his personal life. Such an interesting and sorely missed talent.

Who knew there were so many Queen Fans in the USA! I know Bohemian Rhapsody finally got USA attention after Wayne's World, but still. Here's the story (I feel a bit like Sophia Petrillo of the Golden Girls here) and I hope it doesn't disappoint you.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Picture yourself: London, 1975. Palimpsest, a University student who just happens to be dating her roommate's brother, who just happens to be a small time DJ who is working his way up from Radio London to BBC proper.

He introduced me to many up-and-coming bands. I usually didn't like the rock he played as a DJ. I was more classical and folk music orientated. But then he discovered and played Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio (listened from loyalty) and I was blown away.

So, he decided to interview Queen on his minor Radio London progamme. Queen was controversial at the time and Bohemian Rhapsody was (believe it or not) not greeted by universal acclaim but my BF was rather cutting edge. I said, WOW! Can I be there because that is really good music! Can I meet this band? I'm a complete introvert but I'd so like to be there ...

I listened to the interview (boring) in the Green Room. They had a wine and cheese reception afterwards. My perceptions: Brian May was holding forth, intelligently and attractively, but arrogantly. What a guitar virtuoso though. Roger Taylor was being charming. What a great songwriter and excellent voice. A nice person. (Hindsight: They were deliberately deflecting attention from shy Freddie.)

I (the very shy introvert) was huddled in a corner watching the greatness and wondering where Freddie was when I suddenly realized that he was hiding right beside me. Such a shy woodland creature. We made eye contact and he said, "Hello." I just burbled something. I hope I said something about his voice and range being amazing, his genius in his musicality and the poetry being what it was all about.

He took my hand and kissed it gently. He said, "Thank you for understanding my music." There was something so very gentle, kind, shy, and appreciative about him. Not his onstage persona at all. A very sweet, modest, and self-effacing person.

DJ boyfriend and I broke up amicably a few months later. DJ ex-boyfriend came to my wedding in 1979 to Mr. P (DJ's sister was my bridesmaid) and we are all still friends and are all still major Queen fans!

I broke my pledge to quit reading about Maxhell - and found this. How happy I am! I adored the talent of Freddie Mercury and from all accounts he was a good guy. Love that he left do much to his ex- and her son. Love how he sang with Monserrat Caballe...never minded watching him, either! ;)

Palimpsest, I'm not much of a Queen fan (sorry everyone haha) - I'm more of a Smiths/Kate Bush/Patrick Wolf etc fan, but I've always liked Freddie Mercury as a person. What a truly lovely story.

Palimpsest, I'm not much of a Queen fan (sorry everyone haha) - I'm more of a Smiths/Kate Bush/Patrick Wolf etc fan, but I've always liked Freddie Mercury as a person. What a truly lovely story.

FoxyMoxie, Junior Sparkles was in Patrick Wolf's Hard Times video (not that anyone would be able to pick her out since everyone was in costume). She had a nice long chat with him and said he was incredibly nice.

Palimpsest, that's a wonderful memory to have. He was such a complex, talented and kind person. The recent article in Rolling Stone about him was quite sad. I was a early fan, less so later on. I saw them in NY in '76 I think, at the Beacon Theatre, and always remembered it as a fantastic show.

Sent it, but it's in my outbox rather than in "sent messages"! What am I missing?

AuntCloud, it stays in your outbox until it is read by the recipient.

Maybe Steve will dress up as Santa and buy everyone brand new bibles in different colors.

For shame, you godless heathen!

No Maxwell will ever ever ever own a bible in any color except beige.

Off to the prayer closet with your sinful soul.

Edited because I writes like a Maxwell.

For shame, you godless heathen!

No Maxwell with ever ever ever own a bible in any color except beige.

Off to the prayer closet with your sinful soul.

Not to mention Santa! SANTA!!! Toothfairy, you should just sign a lifetime lease with that prayer closet.

Who knew there were so many Queen Fans in the USA! I know Bohemian Rhapsody finally got USA attention after Wayne's World, but still.

Palimpsest, thank you for sharing that sweet story.

Many of us USAdians were Queen fans long before "Wayne's World." In fact, I recall a time, back when "Bohemian Rhapsody" first came out, when a group of college friends and I were riding in a VW Beetle, listening to "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the radio and singing it at the tops of our lungs. It blew my mind when "Wayne's World" came out and I saw Wayne and Garth doing exactly the same thing!

I know I'm mean and I did try to overcome this urge, but I have to ask:

What's happening with Anna's hair? It doesn't look healthy at all. Can there be something medically wrong with her that makes it look so thin and dry?

DSC_6671.jpg

What's happening with Anna's hair? It doesn't look healthy at all. Can there be something medically wrong with her that makes it look so thin and dry?

DSC_6671.jpg

I'm no expert, but to me it looks like she just needs a hair cut. I think she has naturally thin hair, with a lot of taper. Not everyone is blessed with a full mane of beautiful, strong hair.

Maybe Steve doesn't allow conditioner etc.?

Compare to older pic:

post-11048-14451999783566_thumb.png

I'm no expert, but to me it looks like she just needs a hair cut. I think she has naturally thin hair, with a lot of taper. Not everyone is blessed with a full mane of beautiful, strong hair.

Maybe Steve doesn't allow conditioner etc.?

Compare to older pic:

[attachment=0]Annas hair 2012.png[/attachment]

That is some thirsty looking hair, make a deep conditioner, a hot oil treatment, and a tapered haircut could make a difference.

Anna's hair reminds me of my own when I try to grow it beyond my shoulders. Mine is very thin and fine and just gets more damaged looking as it grows. Conditioning my hair just makes it more fine and limp. I do wear my hair in a short layered style and people are surprised to learn it's quite thin, but I've always wished I could grow it out to a longer look. I feel bad for her because she's not allowed to wear a style that is more flattering to her, maybe something more like Melanie's. I think she would look really nice with a chin length, layered style - something that allowed bounce and movement.

I think Erika Shupe has mentioned that she wears her hair very short because of the same issues I've mentioned. Mine is actually a lot like hers, only longer on top.

My mom's hair is like that too - the longer it grows the more limp and damaged it gets. It doesn't really have to do with nutrition. Some oil of some sort at the end helps, as does a putting in some curl, but ultimately it requires a short cut to look healthy.

Seriously!? :?

Some people just have thin hair - like really thin, really fine hair. And if that's what you're stuck with, beyond getting a head full of hair plugs, you're basically SOL. No amount of deep conditioning or hot oil will give me thick, luscious hair. I certainly hope that people don't think I'm sick because of it...

Her hair doesn't even look particularly thin to me... kind of dry, maybe, but it's winter.

Gee, I recall the talk about how much better Anna Duggar looks since she's been with the Duggars. All down to food too! Although, this is opposed to how sickly some of the younger Duggars look, which is all down to pissy food. So how is that speculation any different to what Jinderella and me said???

Seriously!? :?

Some people just have thin hair - like really thin, really fine hair. And if that's what you're stuck with, beyond getting a head full of hair plugs, you're basically SOL. No amount of deep conditioning or hot oil will give me thick, luscious hair. I certainly hope that people don't think I'm sick because of it...

Anna's hair has not looked that raggedy in the past. Did you look at the post with the older photo before you got upset? Sarah has also looked like her hair is thinning and unhealthy this year. I think the speculation is more to do with a curiosity about what is going on rather than anything else. No reason to get defensive.

Has anyone noticed how wild n sexy Miss Mary's hair is looking? Maybe she is like a hair succubus- she sucks the life out of her sisters' hair to make hers lush.

I bet in another life Mary would be wearing make-up, use nail polish and have her ears pierced. Something about her just screams girly to me.

I bet in another life Mary would be wearing make-up, use nail polish and have her ears pierced. Something about her just screams girly to me.

Have to agree w/ u.

Is it possible that the majority of her hair is tucked behind her shoulders? This picture posted with the 12/16/14 entry makes her hair look much more like the 2012 picture:

DSC_6175.jpg

Also, is that a baby bump on Joseph's wife?

DSC_6615.jpg

Also, is that a baby bump on Joseph's wife?

If Elissa's pregnant, we would have seen the requisite "Stevie gets a rattle wrapped up for Christmas" post by now, methinks.

If Elissa's pregnant, we would have seen the requisite "Stevie gets a rattle wrapped up for Christmas" post by now, methinks.

But, they haven't been posting comments for a few days (since the Merry Christmas post), so you have to wonder if they aren't building up to some kind of major New Year's reveal. You know how they love those sneak attacks!

Archived