IGNORED

6 Ways Religion Does More Bad Than Good

doggie

Christianity and coca cola the two great 21st century addictions (G) so did god make cocacola?

Of course! That's why Teri Maxwell isn't allowed to drink Pepsi!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, these missions aren't just TALKING about their religion: they want converts. If they wanted to give people in developing countries a full selection of religious possibilities to "make them happy," they would go out of their way to provide education in all the world religions. Which they don't do.

That's awfully condescending to the people receiving help from the missionaries.

If the missionary want to share their own beliefs, because it makes them happy, and they feel it might genuinely make others happy -- why would they need to also give a course in all other available options? The Vegan rattling on to me about how much better she feels after giving up in all products is hardly obligated to present the cattle ranchers opinion.

If someone from a religious organization is helping you with something -food, shelter, clothing, medical care - it is possible they will share their beliefs with you. That can be a problem if they are restricting help to only those who share their beliefs, or put restrictions on help, or try to pressure people into joining their religion. Otherwise it's just people sharing their own experience. So what?

That's awfully condescending to the people receiving help from the missionaries.

If the missionary want to share their own beliefs, because it makes them happy, and they feel it might genuinely make others happy -- why would they need to also give a course in all other available options? The Vegan rattling on to me about how much better she feels after giving up in all products is hardly obligated to present the cattle ranchers opinion.

If someone from a religious organization is helping you with something -food, shelter, clothing, medical care - it is possible they will share their beliefs with you. That can be a problem if they are restricting help to only those who share their beliefs, or put restrictions on help, or try to pressure people into joining their religion. Otherwise it's just people sharing their own experience. So what?

There's a difference between sharing that you are helping because your faith says that you are supposed to help people (which may get you some admiration but it isn't coercive) and making preaching and teaching about your religion an active part of whatever else you are doing. It's help with strings attached, in a way that people are vulnerable.

There's a difference between sharing that you are helping because your faith says that you are supposed to help people (which may get you some admiration but it isn't coercive) and making preaching and teaching about your religion an active part of whatever else you are doing. It's help with strings attached, in a way that people are vulnerable.

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
That's one of the reasons I really like the particular organization I work with. While they do partner with traditional missionaries (who make preaching and teaching an important part of what they do), they themselves don't do any preaching or teaching outside of the context of personally sharing their story (in the way Mama Mia describes). In addition to partnering with traditional missionaries, they are also well-respected enough that non-religious organizations like Doctors Without Borders partner with them, which I think is really cool.

On the "why witness and preach at all" topic. Realize that I am not espousing this idea-- just sharing what the idea is. Most Evangelical missionaries truly believe with the utmost conviction that people who are not Christians will go to hell. We could break down this belief logically or biblically (and I'm not sure this thread is the place because it would just be a lot of me agreeing with you), but the fact remains that these missionaries believe it with the same conviction that I believe in feminism (but more because of the eternal consequences). As such, they believe that sharing the gospel with the people they help is of equal importance to the physical help they can offer. Is the belief itself offensive? Probably-- at the very least it is hugely problematic. But the action based on the belief is done in good faith with good intentions. I realize that good intentions don't excuse bad actions, but with the way long-term missionary work has morphed over the past 50 years, I do think that (most) established mission organizations are currently doing more good than harm.

I realize I am probably biased, as someone who was raised evangelical and whose entire family is still evangelical. Personally, though, I see that as a good thing because it gives me the chance to see certain ideals I don't agree with being acted on by people whom I consider to be good people and who are making the world a better place. It helps keep it close to home, I guess.

Archived